Ocho Rios Warnings and Dangers

At the sea
    by Joan58

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ocho Rios

• Twosox's Profile Photo

Take it easy, be respectful, all will be fine!

by Twosox Written Jul 6, 2014

I have been to Jamaica twice, well 3 times actually if you count when I got off the cruise ship as No 1!
    I love Jamaica, I love it's people, it's beauty and how easy it is to relax down there. And yes, the no problem, mon! That whole attitude i think is what I like best. Yes, there are some shenanigans that go on, but befriend your local rent-a-cop at the motel, and he will tell you all the ins and outs of how things operate down there, he can also get you into beach parties when you aren't even staying at that motel.
    I enjoyed most just being out in Ocho, just mingling around with the locals, and we went two years in a row and I couldn't believe they remembered me! They are really a riot and you just need to be a bit street smart and tell them a firm NO and walk away if you don't feel like donating to them. I guess I always felt that I DID have an extra buck, it wasn't gonna hurt me, and may have really helped them buy milk for their kids or something that day. Or maybe a blunt, but so what, it made me feel good and probably made them feel better. Please lighten up, after all, your on VACATION!
    I was NEVER scared when we even went out in Ocho on a Friday or Saturday nite, not to mention the midnite walks to get jerk chicken!
    I love Jamaica and am currently looking on how to move down there. My gf just met a man in Grand Cayman, turned out she married him and he is from Jamaican, I have friends there, but a connection with her also.
    I am retired now and would LOVE for it to be in Jamaica or Costa Rica! I hope this review helped, ask around, make yourself friendly, sit at the picnic tables with the locals, (which is why I always like Rooms on the Beach, because you were right out sitting with the locals! It will be the time of your life while you dig around in the sand underneath the picnic table for what somebody else has left behind for you :)
    Seriously, if your just gonna go lock yourself up in some camp resort, why bother leaving your home state, I am sure you could find that at home 3

• Beaches
    • Singles

• Jamaica. No problem

by KatherineK8 Written Jul 4, 2014

There really is not the amount of danger that people want to lead you to believe. I have been there at least 13 times. I usually go alone. I have been from Montego Bay to Kingston. I have friends that live all over. I feel safer there than here in the States. Even IF you got robbed (which i have NEVER felt was going to happen) They may rob you and let you be on your way. The Jamaican people have a different personality. They are not the cruel people that the crazy folks in America are. They dont tolerate pedophiles, rapists or child abusers. Most of the crime in this Country is from drug dealer to drug dealer. I know a LOT of Jamaicans. And ALL of them will tell you that they dont normally have senseless acts of crime. They dont go out looking for mean things to do to people for fun. Dont act stupid, dont look naive... and you will be just fine. I have walked through the streets of Montego Bay at 4am by myself to get jerk chicken. I was just fine. Guys stopped to flirt, then when I did not seem interested, they just smiled and went about their way.

I was scared too the first trip. Then I started mixing with the locals. I immediately realized how much heart and soul these people have. I would move there in a minute if I could find a job. And believe me, I have looked :)

• Robbed at gunpoint at YS Falls

by Phenixburn Written Jun 2, 2014

I apologize that this is not specifically about Ocho Rios, but this just happened two days ago on my trip to Jamaica. The problem with the authorities is they lie through their teeth to cover up anything involving tourists. So here is my first hand account of almost getting killed in Jamaica. Let me say that I love Jamaica, but anyone who takes a cab ride from the airport to whatever hotel you are going to can tell you that there is a dark vibe about that place, a sense of "anything can happen" that is unsettling.
    In the first hour I was there I saw dead animals on the road, beggars, hookers, accidents and a general poverty everywhere. If you think that this culture is all loving and stress free, you are dead wrong. This is not to say that the people aren't nice, because I met so many friendly Jamaicans that it more than made up for the bad ones...but there are bad ones, I assure you.

Two days ago I was at the YS Falls at about 3:30PM, the place was busy, and the roads were quiet. Our tour bus was turning a corner when a white vehicle pulled out in front of us and hit the breaks to stop us at the bottom of the hill. Two men got out of the vehicle with guns, while the driver waved his out his window to reinforce that we had to cooperate. One man stepped on to the bus while the other stood outside it nervously.
    The man on the bus showed us his gun and asked for everything we had (thankfully I had nothing, not a cent). The tour guide peed herself, and for good reason, because she knew what the Jamaican people hide from us tourists; the dangers of this situation. She knew that this has happened before, that a driver was once beheaded while the other passengers were driven to a field robbed and executed. I just thought that this was a chill robbery to be honest, as the guy took a moment to shake all of our hands and say "this is just business, just survival, one love".
    After they left we drove to the police station where they insisted that this "never" happens, and you know that if you try to find any mention of it, they are right, it apparently never does. The reason why is simple, they don't print it. They hide it to protect tourism. There is also no mention of the man that broke his neck and died at Ricks Cafe from jumping off the 35 foot cliff either, but it happened.
    So this is not me saying that you shouldn't go to Jamaica, but you need to be aware that this place has as much danger as any other that I have been to, more so actually.
    Stay on the resort, travel during the day (that is even sketchy as we were robbed in daylight), and do not be afraid to speak up about your fears to the hotel, as they can in some instances help in the matter.

Don't take a lot of money while travelling, don't take your cell phone as it is useless there, and understand the danger. Just because you don't read about it doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

Two days ago I along with my bus was robbed at gunpoint (about 5km from the police station). This is happening now, and you need to respect that.

• Adventure Travel

• Ochi...Oh No Chi...

by travelguy1234 Written Mar 25, 2013

Ok...so this is my second time in Ochi and really my first time staying at and all inclusive resort. Ok...don't be fooled...this is a third world country, with third world views of what a (5) star hotel/resort is. Overall, the experience was fine if you remove the constant begging, uncertainty of being considered a tourist, (which you are if you have that wristband which lets you back on the resort), the constant approach of weed dealers, the inflated prices for everything, (even in US dollars). Really, we got a chance to see some great sites in the mountains, the culture, the food, but most of all, the people who have a willingness to show you that Jamaica is "Ire" mon. But beware, most tourists are objectified as a meal ticket. Study the laws and the penalties before you decide to "smoke out" or you WILL end up as an episode of Locked Up Abroad. Smoking weed may be cool for Bob Marley and the rastas, but tourists become immediate contributors to the Jamaican government in the form of bail. Also, don't think that the taxi driver is not looking out for his pockets as well, although we were blessed with a knowledgeable tour guide. We did decide to go into the mountains and I would not recommend going alone but with a tour. Stop only where you need to and always show respect to the locals, and you wil be fine. Never walk out at night and always BE CAREFUL!

• "Tour Guides and locals"

by ryanscott Written May 8, 2012

Had a great time at the Sunset Jamaican Grande, however, the locals have become very pushy and beg for money every step of the way. My wife and I like to venture out but this time, (May 2012), we noticed the begging has grown 10 fold from 2 years ago. We ventured out 4 our of 5 nights and somehow always paid for a Tour Guide, who claimed to work at the hotel. BS alert, the guys at the front of the gate do not work at the hotel as Bar tenders, beach sweepers, dining room servers, etc... That being said, we still love Ocho. But the amount of pushy vendors, "tour guides" seemed to take away from the relaxing time. The guys selling drugs were not a problem, a simple "No thanks" is all thats needed. Its the random locals that have gotten out of control.

• Put things into perspective!

by Likeattractslike Written Feb 20, 2012

Like anywhere in the world there are dangers. I have travelled to many places around the world and lived in Jamaica for a few years. I have also stayed in America and saw more crime there! People will tell you all sorts of nonsense and the people who have great times in Jamaica are far too busy enjoy life to start frightening other people about Jamaica.

People forget common sense when they go abroad, in every country there are safe areas and not so safe areas. Even in the safe areas crime still happens.

If you go to Jamaica with good spirits, common sense and your wits about you, you will have a fantastic time. There are lots of people who have left western countries to set up homes in Jamaica and have never experienced such things.

People who are too scared to get off cruise ships or leave the confines of an all inclusive should not bother coming to this beautiful island.

I am a positive person by nature and wherever I go, I attract like minded people. I don't let fear stop me from going anywhere. Go to Jamaica and gain your own experience.!!

ps. friends came to visit me from the UK and were very fearful to come, because they read the horror stories of a few. I explained that on some forums, it usually filled with people who have an upset. People who have a great time don't have a need to tell the whole world about it. My friends were so shocked at how safe they felt and everyone had a fantastic time and some bought holiday homes there and have come back with their families year on year!

• No danger

by glmorton Written Jan 6, 2009

I have been to Jamaica 5 times this last year. Married a Jamaican and bought property and plan to move there permanently soon, and build a house. Maybe there is a lot of crime in Kingston, Ocho Rios, etc., but in rural Jamaica everything is fine. You just need to go there and not act like a tourist. Blend in (as much as possible if you're not black!) and get to know the locals. I can't think of a more beautiful place in the world.

• Just don't go to Jamaica...period.

by aovecka Written Jul 29, 2008

I've been to Jamaica twice. THe first time I was naive and had never been (obviously) and the 2nd time it proves it. Jamaica is the WORST ISLAND in the caribbean. My wife and friends wife wants to go to Jamaica to see Duns River Falls (Since we've already been there) and we told them there is no way we are ever getting off that island again. In fact, I think it's horrible that cruise ships even allow their customers off on this island. Do some simple reading online and read the horror stories about Jamaica. I'm sure locals would even tell you even though some are disillusioned about what crime is. In 2004, over 1000 people were murdered!!! It's the THIRD HIGHEST MURDER RATE IN TEH WORLD!

People always tell you...well, go to the all-inclusive resorts, and don't ever leave the campus. Well, you know what? I don't like living in a prison on vacation. THat uneasy feeling is something I don't want to pay for, no matter how cheap they make it. Just simply do not ever get off on this island.

• ridermirv's Profile Photo

Jamaica, worlds 3rd highest murder rate!

by ridermirv Updated Nov 14, 2007

Make no mistake, Jamaica is a dangerous place. If your staying in an all inclusive resort, and don't wonder about on your own, it's fine. If you are more adventurous and like to actually experience the local culture in the places you travel to, be careful.

Crime rates for robbery, rape and murder are extremely high in Jamaica. Also, traffic fatalities are one of the highest causes of death (along with murder). Although drugs are prevalent there, they are still technically illegal. Jamaicans openly use and sell drugs, but foreigners do get busted for small amounts on a regular basis, so the government can keep foreign aid rolling in.

While out and about, take the usual precautions about not leaving your things unattended, don't flash signs of wealth, and be aware of your surroundings. Don't be on the streets to late at night, and traveling alone is not a good idea.

Rely on your own resources and good judgement, because you may not be able to rely on the police. A lot of them drink and smoke ganga on the job. In a lot of situations, they easily lose control to mobs.

• Adventure Travel

• Ocho Rios, don't get off the boat.....

by rontulin Updated Mar 23, 2007

One tip. Don't get off the boat. We docked at a cement plant or plant that was the receiving end of a gravel mine, who knows. Very industrial. The first thing you see of Jamaica. It was raining and we had to wade through deep slimy puddles of water on the dock. A dock hand was pushing the puddles seaward, with a broom. We skipped over railroad tracks on the dock, potholes and sewage hoses were pumping the waste the ship. There was a pungent aroma of garbage and sewage permeating the humid air. I probably should have got a tetanus shot before getting off the boat.

Our cab driver was supposed to take us to one place. Instead he took us to three different places that we did not want to go. I saw what he was doing and continually insisted on going back to the ship. He would not listen and took us on a self imposed tour of Ocho Rios. One place was a shanty flea market in the mountains, where he insisted that his friend would braid my 9 and 13 year old daughters' hair. We refused to get out of the cab. He called over a large woman, who insisted we get out so we could braid the childrens' hair. After we said "no" about 10 times, he took us somewhere else. I had to argue with him to bring us back to the boat. About 15 minutes later we were back at the ship. The driver then overcharged for the "tour" that we did not want. I was so happy to be back at the boat, I paid him and did not look back.

We stayed on the boat and did not get off until we docked in Miami. Returning passengers from Ocho Rios expressed similair concerns.

This is obviously an extremely impoverished Carribean Nation, third world shanty town at best. It is unfair for the cruise line to market it as an exotic tropical vacation spot for families. Far from it it. Unfortunately, the people have no opportunity there. My cab driver told me that it was his dream to come to the United States. I don't blame him one bit for hustling us. I would not recommend it for anyone. I will not return.

• ocho rios dangerous?

by iseetheworld Written Jan 11, 2007

all i have to say is when your in a poverty stricken country,its pretty obvious your gonna meet some characters.ive been to ocho rios,whitehouse,negril,and yup even stayed a week in kingston.was i robbed...nope.never once,ive been harrased to buy goods from the locals,but never robbed,dont buy weed on the street,take a tour in the mauntains youll find it cheaper better and more safe.kingston is a dump so many ghettos,my freinds and i walked the street at night,never got robbed or shot lol.honestly walking in new york at night is no different,same grimmy mentality amongst the people.use your COMMON SENSE,if you were in new york would you follow some random guy in hopes of having a good time,i wouldnt i know that.and if your buying weed buy it from a dreadlocked rasta,the dirtier the dreads the better the herb,ask for jahs blend or lambs bread,then they think your not new to the situation and will be a little more cautious about ripping you off.anyway folks again use your COMMON SENSE,and if your resort is all inclusive dont bring thousands of dollars,or youll learn the hardway im sure.

• Dunn River Falls Ripoff

by davecamaro1994 Written Jan 4, 2007

Was in on a cruise ship for a day and we did the DRF thing. There was a guy there who was taking video of it all, in uniform looking professional. He would make you wave pose, stick out your tounges and yell an obnoxious WAZZZZ UUUPP. At the end of the tour, he was asking 40 dollars for the video. He had a clip board with LOTS of names on it. He had you put your name, shipname, and cabin number down and advised the video would be sent to the ship. It all looked very legit. As it turned out by the time you went back to the ship and it left lo and behold no video. That guy was prolly making at least a grand that day. So be careful. If you see the guy please punch him in the head for me.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Ocho Rios is nice but.....

by HispanicYob Written May 24, 2006

Heh, don't be like me and be easily gullible to what goes on in different places, Ocho Rios, although beautiful and mysterious is NO exception. If you are coming off a cruise ship and you start leaving the port and venturing out into the road next to it. BEWARE! There's some Jamaican guys who ask you and begrudge you to ride a taxi, sometimes they'll follow you but just keep saying no and ignore their advances. Unless you're in desperate need or if you wanna lose 60 USD (which I did), don't be a fool. Find a group to go with.

Watch yourself
    • Study Abroad

• JAMBOB's Profile Photo

Money & Ganja

by JAMBOB Written Apr 5, 2006

When you go to Jamaica, you will need small bills, in $5's and $1's as you will hand them out here and there. You don't need Jamiacan money, but tipping here and there or buying stuff here and there will only require small bills to purchase as you can barter prices to about 50% of the prices asked.

Yep everything I read on here before I went is pretty accurate. I kept count and got asked to buy Ganja about 14 times along with coke. I just told them no thanks mon. They will say no problem, as you can talk to them about other things after that ,as a good friend as they are the friendliest layed back people and really are trying to make an extra buck as they really don't make alot of money as you will find out. Don't be afraid, as they won't push it on you anymore if you say no thanks. Depending upon your surroundings, you need to say no and keep walking and they will look for the next guy behind you, or in a safe enviorment say no thanks mon, and get to know them.

The first morning I took a walk on our beach as the boating cabana guy asked me why we were here, and I told him to vacation and relax, and told him no thanks, but asked him questions about it. Basically it isn't frowned upon in Jamaica, but they carry a small handful on them as it is a part of their lifestyle. He said its illegal to carry a large amount around. I asked him where it came from, as he told me there are ganja farmers in the hills that grow it. He said the cops don't mess with them too much so that why its so readily available. Every morning I smelt it from a neighboring room, as the people doing it are just taking Jamaica in. Just remember this, they are like a good friend of yours, talk to them like that and smile and say no thanks mon.

• neurochic's Profile Photo

Airport Jerks!

by neurochic Written Nov 16, 2005

You will find many men at the airport when you arrive in Jamaica that insist on taking your bag, no matter if you tell them no a zillion times. And once they grab your bag, they won't give it back unless you give them some exorbitant tip for service you told them not to provide. Your options in this situation are to remember that you are in Jamaica and on vacation just tip the guy or take a big mofo with you like my husband and have them say "No I'm not tipping you" which works just as well too.

Instant Answers: Ocho Rios

• Aug 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I can't believe some people's sheer ingnorance of a situation and the fact that they actually want to advise others on the perils of Jamaica when clearly they know nothing about it.

I am a white English guy who has been going to Ocho Rios for the last 23 years. I have never encountered any problem of any sort.

These people who either spend a few hours coming off a cruise ship or stay in all inclusive hotels are not the best to pass opinion. If you want to go all inclusive and are frightened to go out of the hotel for two weeks why bother flying to Jamaica. You are only going to see the inside of the hotel after all so go to Spain or somewhere similar. Some are saying don't get off the boat, it's a dump , it's dangerous, it's the worst island in the Caribbean. Really, based on what?
    I have been to many of the islands and not on a cruise ship I might add and I would say that Jamaica is easily the nicest, most colourful, vibrant and exciting.

Yes there is a high murder rate in the ghettos of Kingston and Montego Bay because of gang on gang wars and drugs etc. but you won't be staying in the ghetto will you? Just like if you travel to New York you don't head for the roughest part of Brooklyn or the Bronks for your vacation. I can't remember even one tourist being killed in Jamaica while on holiday, not one. There is very little crime on tourists. If you are sensible then you wont have a problem. You will be approached to buy varios things on the street, simply say no thanks and move on.
    Don't pay over the top for anything including taxi's. Ask for the price first and if it's too much move on until you get quoted the right price. You wouldn't pay over the odds at home so why pay what you know is far too much while you are away.

Where the cruise ship docks is not the most attractive of places but it's just a port and you can walk into Ocho Rios town centre within minutes. You don't need a taxi to look around, Dunns River is literally right next door too and you can spend a few hours there. Miss T's Kitchen is a great restaurant/bar to eat at, just opposite the market. Cheap prices, very good local food and tourist friendly.

Please don't be put off Ocho Rios or Jamaica by these fools who really ought to stay on the boat. Go with a open mind and you will love it.

• Jun 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I love Jamaica! I was there two years ago and I had an amazing time. I arrived in Kingston at night. Spent the night in New Kingston at a local business hotel. The next day I took a local taxi to a beautiful estate owned by Jamaica's first black millionaire and walked to the Tuff Gong studio. Later in my trip , I took the Knuntsford express bus to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. My friend that I stayed with worked at the hotel; so I travelled on my own via tour bus, private taxi or shared taxi. I went to the Blue Mountains, Discovery Bay, downtown Ochy, Bob Marley's childhood home and Sunday night parties at Priory Beach. I was never once accosted or bothered. Yes, you are approached to buy weed but you say "no thanks" . People are extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot of poverty and despair , it's evident. But to truly experience Jamaica, you have to be approachable, humble, alert, conscious of your surroundings and where you are. I am a woman, 39 when I visited Jamaica And while I understand all of these negative posts , I can truly say, I had nothing but positive experiences in this beautiful place.

• Jun 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I love Jamaica! I was there two years ago and I had an amazing time. I arrived in Kingston at night. Spent the night in New Kingston at a local business hotel. The next day I took a local taxi to a beautiful estate owned by Jamaica's first black millionaire and walked to the Tuff Gong studio. Later in my trip , I took the Knuntsford express bus to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. My friend that I stayed with worked at the hotel; so I travelled on my own via tour bus, private taxi or shared taxi. I went to the Blue Mountains, Discovery Bay, downtown Ochy, Bob Marley's childhood home and Sunday night parties at Priory Beach. I was never once accosted or bothered. Yes, you are approached to buy weed but you say "no thanks" . People are extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot of poverty and despair , it's evident. But to truly experience Jamaica, you have to be approachable, humble, alert and conscious of your surroundings and where you are. I am a woman, 39 when I visited Jamaica And while I understand all of these negative posts , I can truly say, I had nothing but positive experiences in this beautiful place.

• Sep 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I have been going to Jamaica since 1983 sometimes 2 x year. I have never experienced any problems with robberty, or any other issues, have taken family and friends many times and we have always had a great time... treat the people with respect and they will respect you back. As for the street vendors be polite and say no and keep on walking they will not hurt you...have many long term friends in Ocho Rios so is now like going home....if you want an excellent tour guide who is trustworthy, friently use Richie from Excursions Ocho Rios, he goes out of his way to be excellent, charges fairly and ensures you always have agreat time. Many of my friends and family always call him to pick us up and take us back to the airport and he has shown us almost all of Jamaica...so don't let some negative comments affect you....Call Richie and you will have a change of mind.

• MadonnaB's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I spent 15 days in Ochos Rios,on an all inclusive but ventured out every day. I did not have a problem. Even with them asking for money,upon saying no,they left us alone. We were also shopping for diamonds and still had no problem, I dont know what all the fuss is over.

• Jan 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I went to Ochi in June 2012 and before I left america I was told not to go off the resort at the RIU. I was kind of scared at first. My friend and I rode the jetski's with the local guys and they told us about the nightlife there. We tried it and I love Ochi now. I went back in Oct 2012 and Nov 2012. I go off the resort along and with the local guys we met back in June, we have never had any problems. Everyone is so nice. We have even been right in downtown around 2 the morning and was safe. I am from Maryland near Washington DC and I would never walk the street of Wahsington DC at night! Never! You don't hear of stories about people in JA killing their kids/family or shooting up schools in Jamaica. Do the research tourist don't get robbed or killed there. Jamaicans love the tourists. Yes the vendors are nerve wrecking but just say no and keep going. No problem. I am headed back in March 2013 for 10 days to celebrate my birthday. I wouldn't want to spend it anywhere else but Jamaica.

Ocho Rios Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ocho Rios warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ocho Rios sightseeing.