Ocho Rios Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ocho Rios

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Theft

by Dabs Written Feb 28, 2005

In all of my stays in Jamaica, Mexico, etc., I have never had anything stolen from my room or the beach. But it does happen, we ran into a lady that had her purse stolen (which begs the question, why would you be carrying a purse with money and credit cards at an all inclusive resort?) while she was dining at the resort. So exercise the same precaution you do at home, use your room safe to lock up your valuables including your camera, don't bring money to the beach and for heaven's sake, leave the credit cards behind!

If you need to bring money with you and you are doing something water related, Speedo has swim trunks that have waterproof ziplock pockets that will keep your money perfectly dry.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Driving to/from Ocho Rios

by Dabs Written Feb 9, 2005

If you are driving to/from Ocho Rios, the main road is under construction and there are several areas where you need to slow down, detour or go into one lane traffic. Try not to drive at night, Jamaican drivers have the very bad habit of leaving their brights on at night.

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

PAY YOUR CAB FEE AFTER YOUR...

by lar-n-me Updated Apr 18, 2004

PAY YOUR CAB FEE AFTER YOUR JOURNEY!!!! (we were told you can, but maybe half up front and half later is more tolerable).
    We decided not to go with any tours, even though we had just a few hours to experience as much of Jamaica as possible. We had our own agenda, so decided to hail our own taxi driver for the day.
    BE CAREFUL of your payment offer. We were, uh, coincidentally? told by 'a Jamaican' that we would be getting a deal for $100 per day. Come to find out much later, other tourists paid much less.
    THEN, we were offered, um, mind alterers SOOO many times. Our taxi driver insisted we 'give in' and tell him 'EXACTLY what we wanted'. You have to be very specific if you're not interested in any drugs.
    Anyway, because we paid him in advance, he so took advantage of it. After returning from Dunns River Falls only 4 minutes late of our meeting time with the driver (Luciano), we went to beautiful (but crowded Mahogany Beach), asked our driver to pick us up 45 minutes before our cruise departure so that we had time to drive back into town and scooter on the pier, and he showed up 40 MINUTES LATE.
    Larry said “Luciano, what happened? We have a ship to catch and asked you to be here at 2:15? It's 2:50?!?!?! We don't have time to even get to the ship!!!”
    His response......“You be late, I be late. What goes around comes around, mon....”

SO, pay AFTER services.....(and don't catch a ride with Luciano (aka Lucifer).
    (p.s....nope, this picture isn't reversed. It's really hard getting used to drivers on the left side of the road rather than the right...I screamed under my breath many times...

• camiellesbl's Profile Photo

Busted

by camiellesbl Written Mar 9, 2003

If you plan on going to Ocho Rios to score some weed...Don't! We heard many stories of tourists coming to the town to get pot and ironically they were approached with offers. If someone comes to you offering you weed, pass it up. These guys will bust you in a heartbeat. They wait around a corner with a car and lock you up. Not sure how that whole thing works because I had thought weed was legal there...I guess not. Anyhow, better safe than sorry. If that is the route you are hoping to take I suggest getting a guided tour on horseback at the beach...some of our group chose to do that instead and they managed to "make new friends." I personally don't care, but I figured I would try to help those out that do.

• Joan58's Profile Photo

Danger under the water

by Joan58 Written Feb 22, 2003

At the sea

When you go swimming take care where put your feet. Some pieces of an ancient coral reef emerge among the sand and they are very sharp. So you could hurt your feet. In some places they are so many that it's better if you wear a pair of rubber shoes.

• Joan58's Profile Photo

Hustlers

by Joan58 Written Feb 19, 2003

A free beach

Remember you are in place where many people are poor. In Jamaica there are many hustlers, so you'll can often be bothered. Take the usual precautions, so don't wear gold jewels (to a friend of mine they snatched her little chain), take care of your wallet and your camera, don't loose sight of your backpack when you are on a free beach. Be kind but firm with them and try to understand if they can be dangerous. I am fatalist and think that if something must happen, it can happen everywhere.

Instant Answers: Ocho Rios

• Jun 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I love Jamaica! I was there two years ago and I had an amazing time. I arrived in Kingston at night. Spent the night in New Kingston at a local business hotel. The next day I took a local taxi to a beautiful estate owned by Jamaica's first black millionaire and walked to the Tuff Gong studio. Later in my trip , I took the Knuntsford express bus to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. My friend that I stayed with worked at the hotel; so I travelled on my own via tour bus, private taxi or shared taxi. I went to the Blue Mountains, Discovery Bay, downtown Ochy, Bob Marley's childhood home and Sunday night parties at Priory Beach. I was never once accosted or bothered. Yes, you are approached to buy weed but you say "no thanks" . People are extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot of poverty and despair , it's evident. But to truly experience Jamaica, you have to be approachable, humble, alert, conscious of your surroundings and where you are. I am a woman, 39 when I visited Jamaica And while I understand all of these negative posts , I can truly say, I had nothing but positive experiences in this beautiful place.

• Jun 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I love Jamaica! I was there two years ago and I had an amazing time. I arrived in Kingston at night. Spent the night in New Kingston at a local business hotel. The next day I took a local taxi to a beautiful estate owned by Jamaica's first black millionaire and walked to the Tuff Gong studio. Later in my trip , I took the Knuntsford express bus to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. My friend that I stayed with worked at the hotel; so I travelled on my own via tour bus, private taxi or shared taxi. I went to the Blue Mountains, Discovery Bay, downtown Ochy, Bob Marley's childhood home and Sunday night parties at Priory Beach. I was never once accosted or bothered. Yes, you are approached to buy weed but you say "no thanks" . People are extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot of poverty and despair , it's evident. But to truly experience Jamaica, you have to be approachable, humble, alert and conscious of your surroundings and where you are. I am a woman, 39 when I visited Jamaica And while I understand all of these negative posts , I can truly say, I had nothing but positive experiences in this beautiful place.

• Sep 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I have been going to Jamaica since 1983 sometimes 2 x year. I have never experienced any problems with robberty, or any other issues, have taken family and friends many times and we have always had a great time... treat the people with respect and they will respect you back. As for the street vendors be polite and say no and keep on walking they will not hurt you...have many long term friends in Ocho Rios so is now like going home....if you want an excellent tour guide who is trustworthy, friently use Richie from Excursions Ocho Rios, he goes out of his way to be excellent, charges fairly and ensures you always have agreat time. Many of my friends and family always call him to pick us up and take us back to the airport and he has shown us almost all of Jamaica...so don't let some negative comments affect you....Call Richie and you will have a change of mind.

• MadonnaB's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I spent 15 days in Ochos Rios,on an all inclusive but ventured out every day. I did not have a problem. Even with them asking for money,upon saying no,they left us alone. We were also shopping for diamonds and still had no problem, I dont know what all the fuss is over.

• Jan 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I went to Ochi in June 2012 and before I left america I was told not to go off the resort at the RIU. I was kind of scared at first. My friend and I rode the jetski's with the local guys and they told us about the nightlife there. We tried it and I love Ochi now. I went back in Oct 2012 and Nov 2012. I go off the resort along and with the local guys we met back in June, we have never had any problems. Everyone is so nice. We have even been right in downtown around 2 the morning and was safe. I am from Maryland near Washington DC and I would never walk the street of Wahsington DC at night! Never! You don't hear of stories about people in JA killing their kids/family or shooting up schools in Jamaica. Do the research tourist don't get robbed or killed there. Jamaicans love the tourists. Yes the vendors are nerve wrecking but just say no and keep going. No problem. I am headed back in March 2013 for 10 days to celebrate my birthday. I wouldn't want to spend it anywhere else but Jamaica.

Ocho Rios Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ocho Rios warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ocho Rios sightseeing.