Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Montego Bay

• lolitajane's Profile Photo

Drug Dealers

by lolitajane Updated Oct 28, 2003

When we got off the Suncat to do some shopping near Margheritaville, we were offered drugs at least twice in five minutes! We found it very distressing, as a man followed us saying "I got sth for ya". We didn't even look at him, but he kept insisting till a guy (I think it was someone from the shop) asked him to go away. So do be careful while walking around the city.

• caprice4u2's Profile Photo

This may sound bizarre to some...

by caprice4u2 Written Oct 4, 2002

This may sound bizarre to some people, but I suffer from Restless legs syndrome, this was really, really, bad to the point where I wanted to cry..because my daughter broke the fan in our bedroom and there was absolutely no escaping the oppressive heat... Its really quite odd, even though the sun has long gone and the nights are very very dark, (no street lighting as such in the villages)..the heat seems to intensivy and lies thick in your personal atmosphere...So, take precautions in terms of maybe a personal fan, if you are in a fancy hotel, no prob, the air conditioning will 'kick in', but if like me, you are an opportunist who will accept gratefully an invite to another country,(bear that in mind folks *wink*) and lay my head anywhere (all I ask for is a mirror and the make up bag, yep vanity is my weakness) ...

• caprice4u2's Profile Photo

If you are like me and find...

by caprice4u2 Written Oct 4, 2002

If you are like me and find sugar in your coffee sacrosant, then tell the people making it, we stopped of at a McDonalds (yes I KNOW!) and I was gagging for a coffee, it came back with about 12 spoons of sugar in it.....I was sweating pure cane.

Be absolutely vigilant about putting all food in the fridge, the insects are very partial to any small offerings and will move in to your snackettes, before you can say....'I love that grape Punch!'

• How to halt an annoying drug dealer

by miruka Updated Sep 1, 2002

You will be offered drugs. This is a given. Most offers are for Marijuana. A simple no, no thank you, etc may work, but simply stating that your employer "P i s s Tests", is the best way to stop the onslaught. The phrase "P i s s Test" is most commonly understood, as stating simply drug testing may not get the point across.

• Prostitutes may be experienced pickpocketers.

by miruka Written Sep 1, 2002

Prostitues in Jamaica are everywhere. Typically, they are easy to dispell with a simple I'm Married statement. (Works for me, even though I am NOT married...) However, some prostitutes on the street are very aggressive and will try to approach you and offer you a 'free sample'. I have learned from people who have lived in Jamaica that this is an attempt to pick your pocket. They will rub against you, and abscond with your wallet. If a group of prostitutes actively persues you (which DID happen on my trip), keep guard of your wallet, and keep your distance.

• The Hip Strip - Don't be a dolt

by miruka Written Sep 1, 2002

Street people are a mix... Some are simply quite friendly, but most want money. They will sell you armbands, ashtrays, steering wheel covers,...their sister...a half eaten sandwich, or what ever they think they can get money for. You will get offers for every drug known on the planet. DON'T BUY GANJA. MARIJUANA IS ILLEGAL IN JAMAICA. If you feel in danger, find a police officer by the dark blue uniforms they wear.

Instant Answers: Montego Bay

• RichardS59's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

dont buy weed. the stuff is dirt. they sell it as "this is the joint bob marley would smoke" a tiny joint is atleast 20$. your better off drinking rum and looking for yayo

Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Montego Bay warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montego Bay sightseeing.