Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Traffis issues!

by tpangelinan Written May 31, 2004

Traffic issues

Driving in Montego Bay, let's just say, you'll be putting your life in DANGER! These people drive like maniacs and there is only 1 stop sign all the rest are yields. Renting a car is not a good option here! If you do rent a car, get as much insurance as you can and don't drive around town, go on the mountain roads, even those are bad because they drive about 70mgh on a thin little road. There is no tow truck to call in Jamaica, when they wreck a car that is where it will rust away.

• Luxury Travel

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Watch those rays!

by Dabs Updated Mar 23, 2010

The sun is really strong in Jamaica and if you have been hibernating all winter and are pasty white like me, you can get burnt pretty quickly. The 1st day, I swear I got burnt just walking the length of the beach which can't be more than 15 minutes. I've given up on trying to tan and slather 50 SPF sunblock over every inch of my body, spend most of my time under a beach umbrella and still manage to get a few burnt spots, make sure you reapply frequently if you are in the water. Don't forget the top of your head which can burn as well, I always bring along a light colored hat to wear to keep my part from burning.

Another danger in the sun, especially if you are enjoying the all inclusive heavily rum fortified drinks, is dehydration. Make sure to drink plenty of water.

• lolitajane's Profile Photo

Drug Dealers

by lolitajane Updated Oct 28, 2003

When we got off the Suncat to do some shopping near Margheritaville, we were offered drugs at least twice in five minutes! We found it very distressing, as a man followed us saying "I got sth for ya". We didn't even look at him, but he kept insisting till a guy (I think it was someone from the shop) asked him to go away. So do be careful while walking around the city.

• Speeding

by mandark.astronomonov Written Apr 23, 2007

In the last few years Jamaica has made a cross country highway. There are hardly any signs informing you of the speed (I can't remember any). The point is that on any smooth road, guys like myself like to put the foot on the accelerator. DON'T! There are cops lurking in wait to catch you in the act. Like Britain it is a stealth tax, a means of making money for the government. Unlike Britain it comes without the warning of a yellow speed camera or speed limit signs. Most will write you a ticket but there are some who will ask you the very interesting question, "What can you do for yourself?", meaning "How much are you willing to give me to avoid a ticket?"

• New2Mons's Profile Photo

Travel Light

by New2Mons Written Apr 3, 2005

To all my USA travelers, when going here or anywhere in Jamaica for that matter. Please travel as light as you can. When you get there, keep a keen eye on all your luggage and keep them close at hand. The contents are easy resale items. When you arrive to your hotel, have things like your ID and passport put away and do not walk with them. They are hot items to the locals to steal. I am sure no one wants a great trip ruined by theft.

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Scam

by kyoub Written Jan 29, 2006

One of the scams seems to be for the person that inspects your car when you return it to the rental office to say you have damaged it. We were accused of causing body damage when there obviously was none.
    Lucky for us we had taken photos of the car before we left the lot and on the return.
    The photos showed the insurance company that there was no damage done and it was dropped.

• niecole's Profile Photo

Locals

by niecole Written Sep 29, 2004

Locals are always trying to sell you drugs and always try to get you in their shops.

Honestly, if you don't like that, then don't go off the resort. We went off the resort and many people tried to sell us stuff and it was really hard to feel comfortable.

• traveller's diarrhea

by 1dawnhopeful Written Mar 11, 2008

i dont know where i picked up the bug/ parasite. It is 11 days after returning and i still have diarrhea. Take immodium along to stop the diarrhea for a while. Dont know if there are vaccinations that you can have before you go.

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

Downtown

by RudoElCojonudo Updated Oct 10, 2005

Like always in jamaican biggest cities be carefull in downtown, specially if you are a tourist.
    Try not to walk alone, specially at night.
    For more information have a look in my "Warning or Danger Tips" from Kingston and Negril.

• tahte's Profile Photo

The Traffic is not Irie!

by tahte Updated Oct 16, 2006

I will never complain about New York traffic again! Montego Bay's narrow sidewalks & streets, cars driving on the left, few lights and fewer crosswalks make crossing the streets scary! Sometimes the locals will help you if they see you struggling to cross.

• SwedishViking's Profile Photo

Don’t buy drugs!

by SwedishViking Written Jan 31, 2005

Keep of the grass... Even the Ganja too!

I’m not the one to tell you what to do and what not to do but I can give you a good advice;
    Stay away from drugs!
    First; What ever you have heard, drugs are illegal in Jamaica!
    Second; You don’t want to become or act like a stoned punk.

• ableyendaal's Profile Photo

Pushy Vendors and Drug Dealers

by ableyendaal Updated Jun 4, 2006

Beautiful Scenery, Watch out for Shady Characters.

Downtown Montego Bay has little to offer besides a couple of restaurants and a private beach you can pay to get on to. You will be offered drugs of all kinds as the local vendors and hustlers descend upon you like locusts. Others will push cheap trinkets at you and then rudely insult you with terms such as "blood clot" when you turn them down. Some guys will offer "to show you around" and follow you until you pay them for their "services". Don't. This is probably the most aggressive behavior I ever experienced anywhere I have travelled. Be firm and keep walking. Don't go down there at night.

• caprice4u2's Profile Photo

If you are like me and find...

by caprice4u2 Written Oct 4, 2002

If you are like me and find sugar in your coffee sacrosant, then tell the people making it, we stopped of at a McDonalds (yes I KNOW!) and I was gagging for a coffee, it came back with about 12 spoons of sugar in it.....I was sweating pure cane.

Be absolutely vigilant about putting all food in the fridge, the insects are very partial to any small offerings and will move in to your snackettes, before you can say....'I love that grape Punch!'

• caprice4u2's Profile Photo

This may sound bizarre to some...

by caprice4u2 Written Oct 4, 2002

This may sound bizarre to some people, but I suffer from Restless legs syndrome, this was really, really, bad to the point where I wanted to cry..because my daughter broke the fan in our bedroom and there was absolutely no escaping the oppressive heat... Its really quite odd, even though the sun has long gone and the nights are very very dark, (no street lighting as such in the villages)..the heat seems to intensivy and lies thick in your personal atmosphere...So, take precautions in terms of maybe a personal fan, if you are in a fancy hotel, no prob, the air conditioning will 'kick in', but if like me, you are an opportunist who will accept gratefully an invite to another country,(bear that in mind folks *wink*) and lay my head anywhere (all I ask for is a mirror and the make up bag, yep vanity is my weakness) ...

• Hire a driver and avoid any problems

by timbo813 Updated May 6, 2012

St. James Parish Church

I went to Montego Bay for a conference this month. I stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall resort. You are very safe at the resort, but you won't really see Jamaica. It's really not a good idea to venture off on your own.To get out and about, it's best to hire a driver who not only will show you the sights, but keep you safe. I contacted Lindsay McFarlane from SNL Tours after reading good reviews for him. Lindsay picked me up at the airport in his comfortable van and he took me through the bustling city, local produce market, the historical St. James Parish Church (built in 1775), an amazing scenic overlook at the Richmond Hill Inn. We took a quick break at an authentic Jamaican bar for a cold Red Stripe then off to my hotel to check in. A couple days later, I called him again and he took us into the mountains of Jamaica for more amazing photos. His prices are very reasonable and using him resolves any safety concerns. Well worth it.

Because my time was limited, I wasn't able to see some other areas that Lindsay recommended (Dunn's River Falls, etc.), but I plan to return to Jamaica and I will definitely use Lindsay again. You can email him at snljamaicantours@hotmail.com.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Montego Bay

• RichardS59's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

dont buy weed. the stuff is dirt. they sell it as "this is the joint bob marley would smoke" a tiny joint is atleast 20$. your better off drinking rum and looking for yayo

Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Montego Bay warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montego Bay sightseeing.