Negril Restaurants

The Ambience...Priceless
    by barrylee
    Tables set up for our family dinner
    Jerry's Jerk Chicken Pasta

Most Recent Restaurants in Negril

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Da Gino: Italian food in Jamaica??

by malianrob Written Apr 14, 2009

I dont know why I tried to eat Italian food in Jamaica but it was a big mistake. At least eatting here. I read that the food was very good here from the guide book that I purchased and I was so hungry that We just walked into this place. I have to say that the service was excellent. The place was clean and somewhat romantic. Our waiter was very pleasant and attentive. The food was not good. On top of that the portains were so small that when I left I was still hungry.
    I had pork filets. They gave me 4 little pieces of over cooked pork the size of alittle bit bigger than a quarter. One little piece of zucchini and alittle piece of orange and some potatoes. Rob had some sort of fish and he said it was alright.

Favorite Dish: The drinks were good. They have a full bar here:)-

Howies: Howies

by malianrob Written Apr 12, 2009

In between Bamboo Avenue and Ys Falls we find Howies. Its also not in Negril but close by. They are openned 24 hours a day and the food in so good! The guy had so many pots and he openned each and every one of them so I can see what was inside. I saw plenty of locals eatting here so I thought the food must be good. I didnt see any tourist around though. The food here was also cheaper than at any restaurant in Negril.

Favorite Dish: I had a stew chicken plate and Rob had the Jerk Chicken with rice and veggies. Both plate were real good.

Bourbon Beach: Bourbon Beach

by malianrob Written Apr 12, 2009

We were asking around, to locals, where we could get some good jerk chicken and many said here at Bourbon Beach.
    It was good, the atmosphere was cool, beachy, laidback. They had a fully stocked bar and they cook right in front of you. The chicken was good and affordable, the service lacked big time.

• KiwiFrench's Profile Photo

Sun Beach Restaurant Bar and Jerk Hut: Gem On The Beach

by KiwiFrench Updated Dec 2, 2008

Dennis

Sun Beach Restaurant Bar & Jerk Hut

Located near the “Fire Fly”, “For Real”, and “Coco La Palm” resorts, right in the heart of stunning Seven Mile Beach in Negril, is the Sun Beach Restaurant Bar & Jerk Hut.
    Dennis, Bartender Extraordinaire, will enthusiastically welcome you. Having a knack for making a tourist feel right at home, he is certainly the ‘Host with the most’.
    We had the good fortune of meeting Dennis on the first night of our twelve-day stay at a neighboring hotel. The hospitality he showered us with set the tone for our entire vacation.
    Dennis became a trusted friend who assisted and advised us in any recreation we wanted to participate in; ensuring that we were treated very well throughout our stay.
    In addition to the comfort we felt and the fantastic blended drinks Dennis prepared for us – the numerous dinners we ate at Sun Beach were delectable. Everything is fresh and cooked to order.
    The atmosphere was unbeatable; dining by candlelight, ocean-side, with our toes in the soft warm sand.
    Meals and drinks are very reasonably priced and the customer service is top-notch. The entire staff there treated us wonderfully!
    If I am ever blessed enough to revisit beautiful Negril, Sun Beach will be my first destination. It is truly a gem of Seven Mile Beach.

Favorite Dish: The Lobster Thermadore was by far the best I have ever tasted and all the pork entrees just melted in our mouth. Accompanying our dinners was a generous portion of savory rice and an exquisite blend of fresh local vegetables.
    Often, I felt full halfway through my meal; Yet, I finished every morsel on my plate, unable to resist the amazing flavors.

• KiwiFrench's Profile Photo

Norm the Patty Guy: Best Patties On The Beach

by KiwiFrench Updated Dec 2, 2008

NORM THE PATTY GUY

During our vacation in Negril we spent nearly every afternoon on beautiful Seven Mile Beach. It was there we met Norm, “The Patty Guy”.
    We first observed him pushing his bicycle down the beach with a huge cardboard box propped between the handlebars and seat. We noticed that many of the locals were stopping him every few yards to buy his patties.
    Naturally, after seeing how popular his patties are, we had to try some for ourselves. We bought a few patties and a few pieces of coco bread and were instantly addicted.
    Every day thereafter, we watched with anticipation - like children on a hot summer day awaiting the arrival of the ice cream truck - for him to come down the beach.
    Don’t be fooled by the rest, Norms patties are absolutely the best. He is THE Patty man on Seven Mile Beach!

Favorite Dish: I loved the warm sweet coco bread the most. I have never tasted anything like it.

Whoopees: Shame it isn't friendlier

by toonsarah Updated Apr 14, 2008

Chris at Whoopies (without the barman!)

On one of the mornings in Negril we decided to take a walk along the West End Road away from town towards the lighthouse. Beyond the lighthouse we came to Lighthouse Park, where there is a small bar serving drinks and snacks – Whoopees. Dave had recommended this as good place for a drink and a view, so we stopped off for a very welcome cold Tang (a grapefruit soda we’d both grown to like). The view was indeed great, and we liked the casual atmosphere but the barman was the grumpiest we came across in Jamaica – indeed, the grumpiest person of any description we came across. Although we were the only customers, he was very slow to serve us and didn’t want to enter into conversation. And when Chris produced his camera and asked if he could include him in a photo of the bar he refused, saying that we would only turn our pictures into postcards and make money out of them! Obviously we had no intention of doing this, but even if we did you would think he would see it as good advertising for the bar!

Despite this experience though, I would recommend a quick drink at Whoopees if you’re in the area. There’s not much else round here, and the views are great – oh, and there are hammocks dotted around the park if you really want to chill for a while!

The Little Sandwich Hut: Good patties

Buying the patties

Just opposite the Negril Escape is this little shack that sells various lunchtime snacks at very reasonable prices. We bought some patties here one day to take back and eat on our balcony. They were huge – mine with cheese and vegetables, Chris’s with beef. At just 250 Jamaican dollars (about US$4) we considered this a real bargain.

LTU Pub & Restaurant: Laid-back cliff top bar

At the LTU Bar

We’d read a lot about, and didn’t fancy, the tourist trap atmosphere of Rick’s Bar, so when the Rough Guide recommended LTU as a good nearby alternative we decided to give it a try. I have to say that we had a very pleasant evening here, but it was nothing like Rick’s – this doesn’t appear to be the place to come to watch cliff diving, but if you want a chilled-out evening with great margaritas and tasty unpretentious food, you could do a lot worse!

Favorite Dish: After watching the sunset from the bar, with a cold Red Stripe to accompany it, we moved to one of the cliff-side tables to eat. We shared a plate of stuffed jalapenos to start with, in addition to the complimentary pumpkin soup. For mains Chris chose the “Wiener Schnitzel”, which he enjoyed although it wasn’t quite like the schnitzels we’re used to in Austria, and I went for the jerk snapper fillets. The downside to this restaurant was that these mains came far too quickly, when we were still eating our starters, and on top of that mine wasn’t the snapper I’d ordered but chicken. However the waitress was very apologetic, and at least I got a break between courses while waiting for it to be replaced. When it came it was excellent. For dessert we shared the frozen key lime cheesecake – not as good as the one at the Hungry Lion but nevertheless pretty yummy. This meal, with a Red Stripe each, cost just US$47. We then stayed on for another drink at the bar (that great margarita!) and chatted a bit to some other customers who appeared to be regular visitors to Negril. We also enjoyed meeting the two resident cats, Pumpkin and (I think) Smokey.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Pirates’ Cave Restaurant: Did Henry Morgan eat here???

At the Pirates��� Cave

This is another of the West End’s cliff-top restaurants, and another good choice. It’s quite small – just a collection of tables grouped around the bar in the open air, with the sea immediately below. Apparently there’s a nearby cave that was said to be the haunt of pirates, including Henry Morgan – hence the restaurant’s name.

Favorite Dish: The speciality here is lobster, at quite reasonable prices, so I followed my starter of red snapper fish fingers with an excellent lobster thermidor. Meanwhile Chris had conch fritters to start, followed by jerk chicken. Washed down with a Red Stripe each the bill came to US$67, my lobster having pushed it up a bit. Service was friendly, if informal.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Hungry Lion: Great for vegetarians - and others!

The Hungry Lion by day

This was the other of our favourite restaurants, and we had planned a return visit after our first one but never managed to get back here unfortunately. Unlike many of the other restaurants on the West End Road, it lacks a cliff-top setting and view of the sea, but the quality of the food and the funky vibe are more than adequate compensation. The restaurant is on the first floor of the colourful building, with a gallery and classy gift shop below – see my separate shopping tip.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is vegetarian and seafood, with a strong Rastafarian influence. The menu varies daily according to what is available. We were given complimentary appetizers of a small and delicious bowl of pumpkin and lentil soup. Not having expected this, we had also ordered starters – crab cakes for me and hummus with pitta bread for Chris. For my main course I chose the red snapper burrito, which was excellent, while Chris went for a tasty olives and veggie quesadilla. We shared a slice of frozen key lime cheesecake for dessert – the best dessert we had in Jamaica! With two beers each and service we paid just US$55 for this excellent meal.

Rockhouse Hotel: Fabulous setting

by toonsarah Updated Apr 14, 2008

Rockhouse Hotel restaurant

This was one of our favourites of the restaurants we tried in Negril – so much so that we came here twice. It’s also one of the dearest restaurants, but when you’re used to London prices it doesn’t seem too bad, and I think the great food and even more so the stunning setting make it worth splashing out on, at least once on your trip. The restaurant is perched on the cliffs and many of the tables are on a deck that juts out over the water. Lit by flaming torches and with the sound of the waves below, you can’t fail to be charmed by this setting, and we were particularly pleased to be able to book a table here for our Valentine’s evening dinner, the first of the two meals we had here.

On our second visit the weather was damp so tables were set under cover around the bar. It was still a great dinner and a good place to eat, but just slightly less special than before – however, better that than being rained on while you eat, I guess!

Favorite Dish: On our first visit, for Valentine’s, I was pleased to find that they hadn’t done one of those gimmicky set dinners that some restaurants indulge in on these occasions. There were a couple of themed specials but we chose from the regular menu. I started with the Lobster Blaze, a flour tortilla filled with chunks of lobster in a cheesy sauce, while Chris had the (huge!) bruschetta. For mains I had blackened mahi mahi, and Chris chose jerk chicken served fajita style – an interesting and successful cultural mix. We both managed to squeeze in one of the delicious desserts (Tia Maria cheesecake for me, rum and chocolate mousse for Chris) but the portions were so large that sharing would have been better. With a glass of wine each, a bottle of sparkling water, service and tax, we paid US$87.

On our second visit I started with crab quesadilla, followed by a great shrimp curry served in a papaya boat. Chris chose the Lobster Blaze that I’d had on our first evening to start with, and chicken fusilli for his main dish. We’d learnt our lesson and shared a dessert – mango cheesecake. With a glass of wine each again, this time we paid US$90.

Even if you don’t dine here, the bar, which shares the same setting, is a lovely place for a drink – the service is friendly and the cocktail list good.

• choochy420's Profile Photo

Country Country: Menu changes daily

by choochy420 Written Dec 26, 2007

Country Country's restaurant sits on the sand, just steps away from the Caribbean. The hotel is made up of little guest houses or villas. I've never stayed @ the hotel but the grounds are beautiful and the dinners at the restaurant are delish!!
    The restaurant sits on a wooden deck and has a bar and a small dining area. At night the tables are beautifully made up and the place takes on a romantic air.
    Their menu is small and changes daily. For this reason we eat there a couple times a trip.
    I had the best Coconut shrimp of my life there!!! Delicious fresh shrimp in fresh coconut, mmmm. My husband loves their Blue Mountain marinated beef.
    Even if you are not staying at the hotel I would advise you to give them a try next time you're in Negril.
    Also if there is a band at Margaritaville, you can see and hear the music from there without having to pay Jimmy Buffet's empire!

Favorite Dish: My fave is the Coconut Shrimp because it is all fresh!!!!!!!!

• choochy420's Profile Photo

Norma's @ Sea Splash: Great Food, Great Atmosphere

by choochy420 Updated Dec 26, 2007

Norma's is one of the finer, upscale establishments in Negril. It is appropriate for romantic dinners or large parties however reservations are strongly recommended because they can get rather busy during peak seasons. Norma's is located in the Sea Splash hotel overlooking the gorgeous 7 Mile beach and sparkling blue Caribbean. Start with a tropical drink or a cool Red Stripe while deliberating the mainly Jamaican/Caribbean all prepared with a gourmet twist. My favorites include Rasta Pasta and Jerk Chicken Penne Pasta. Not to missed are the desserts, stroll over to the dessert display case to choose your tantalizing treat. Don't forget to end with a Blue Mountain Coffee!!
    Norma's often has live music, usually acoustic and always IRIE. Please tip them well, they rock!

Favorite Dish: I would have to say the Jerk Chicken Penne Pasta is my all time favorite. Jerk Marinated chicken in a creamy jerk/sundried tomato sauce. It is to die for! I have to admit that I love this dish soo much, I usually get it everytime and therefore, I haven't got to try much else off the menu!!! On an average trip to Negril we usually go to Norma's at least 3 times.

• laustic's Profile Photo

Idle Awhile: Cooking with the Chef

by laustic Updated Dec 8, 2007

Chicken Fricassee, cole slaw, and rice with

Dh is a big foodie and loves to cook. Idle Awhile advertises that the chef of their restaurant (Chill Awhile) will come cook for you in your room (if you have a room with a kitchen) so I really wanted to do this for dh. We called to set it up and, as was usual, the front desk acted a bit odd about it, but said they'd look into it.

The chef did indeed show up later that night and cooked chicken fricassee for us. It was really an amazing dish, but a bit of an awkward experience. Dh and I are pretty outgoing and it was clear that the chef didn't really want to converse with us so we just let him do his thing and the food was really good. If this is something that you're into don't expect a really interactive experience -- just do it for the food. Also, there was no fixed rate for this service and it was difficult for us to determine what was a fair amount to pay the chef for his time.

• laustic's Profile Photo

Coco La Palm: Great breakfast

by laustic Written Dec 7, 2007

French toast with fresh fruit at Coco La Palm

On our first morning I found the breakfast lacking at our hotel (Idle Awhile) and the coffee was average. So we ventured next door to Coco La Palm for breakfast the second morning and then returned every morning after that. The service was prompt and friendly and the coffee was great (this was the famous Blue Mountain coffee I was hoping for!) and the breakfasts were excellent! I'm sure the other meals are great here as well!

Instant Answers: Negril

Comments

Negril Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Negril restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Negril sightseeing.