Negril Restaurants

The Ambience...Priceless
    by barrylee
    Tables set up for our family dinner
    Jerry's Jerk Chicken Pasta

Best Rated Restaurants in Negril

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Hungry Lion: Great for vegetarians - and others!

The Hungry Lion by day

This was the other of our favourite restaurants, and we had planned a return visit after our first one but never managed to get back here unfortunately. Unlike many of the other restaurants on the West End Road, it lacks a cliff-top setting and view of the sea, but the quality of the food and the funky vibe are more than adequate compensation. The restaurant is on the first floor of the colourful building, with a gallery and classy gift shop below – see my separate shopping tip.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is vegetarian and seafood, with a strong Rastafarian influence. The menu varies daily according to what is available. We were given complimentary appetizers of a small and delicious bowl of pumpkin and lentil soup. Not having expected this, we had also ordered starters – crab cakes for me and hummus with pitta bread for Chris. For my main course I chose the red snapper burrito, which was excellent, while Chris went for a tasty olives and veggie quesadilla. We shared a slice of frozen key lime cheesecake for dessert – the best dessert we had in Jamaica! With two beers each and service we paid just US$55 for this excellent meal.

Rockhouse Hotel: Fabulous setting

by toonsarah Updated Apr 14, 2008

Rockhouse Hotel restaurant

This was one of our favourites of the restaurants we tried in Negril – so much so that we came here twice. It’s also one of the dearest restaurants, but when you’re used to London prices it doesn’t seem too bad, and I think the great food and even more so the stunning setting make it worth splashing out on, at least once on your trip. The restaurant is perched on the cliffs and many of the tables are on a deck that juts out over the water. Lit by flaming torches and with the sound of the waves below, you can’t fail to be charmed by this setting, and we were particularly pleased to be able to book a table here for our Valentine’s evening dinner, the first of the two meals we had here.

On our second visit the weather was damp so tables were set under cover around the bar. It was still a great dinner and a good place to eat, but just slightly less special than before – however, better that than being rained on while you eat, I guess!

Favorite Dish: On our first visit, for Valentine’s, I was pleased to find that they hadn’t done one of those gimmicky set dinners that some restaurants indulge in on these occasions. There were a couple of themed specials but we chose from the regular menu. I started with the Lobster Blaze, a flour tortilla filled with chunks of lobster in a cheesy sauce, while Chris had the (huge!) bruschetta. For mains I had blackened mahi mahi, and Chris chose jerk chicken served fajita style – an interesting and successful cultural mix. We both managed to squeeze in one of the delicious desserts (Tia Maria cheesecake for me, rum and chocolate mousse for Chris) but the portions were so large that sharing would have been better. With a glass of wine each, a bottle of sparkling water, service and tax, we paid US$87.

On our second visit I started with crab quesadilla, followed by a great shrimp curry served in a papaya boat. Chris chose the Lobster Blaze that I’d had on our first evening to start with, and chicken fusilli for his main dish. We’d learnt our lesson and shared a dessert – mango cheesecake. With a glass of wine each again, this time we paid US$90.

Even if you don’t dine here, the bar, which shares the same setting, is a lovely place for a drink – the service is friendly and the cocktail list good.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Pirates’ Cave Restaurant: Did Henry Morgan eat here???

At the Pirates��� Cave

This is another of the West End’s cliff-top restaurants, and another good choice. It’s quite small – just a collection of tables grouped around the bar in the open air, with the sea immediately below. Apparently there’s a nearby cave that was said to be the haunt of pirates, including Henry Morgan – hence the restaurant’s name.

Favorite Dish: The speciality here is lobster, at quite reasonable prices, so I followed my starter of red snapper fish fingers with an excellent lobster thermidor. Meanwhile Chris had conch fritters to start, followed by jerk chicken. Washed down with a Red Stripe each the bill came to US$67, my lobster having pushed it up a bit. Service was friendly, if informal.

Whoopees: Shame it isn't friendlier

by toonsarah Updated Apr 14, 2008

Chris at Whoopies (without the barman!)

On one of the mornings in Negril we decided to take a walk along the West End Road away from town towards the lighthouse. Beyond the lighthouse we came to Lighthouse Park, where there is a small bar serving drinks and snacks – Whoopees. Dave had recommended this as good place for a drink and a view, so we stopped off for a very welcome cold Tang (a grapefruit soda we’d both grown to like). The view was indeed great, and we liked the casual atmosphere but the barman was the grumpiest we came across in Jamaica – indeed, the grumpiest person of any description we came across. Although we were the only customers, he was very slow to serve us and didn’t want to enter into conversation. And when Chris produced his camera and asked if he could include him in a photo of the bar he refused, saying that we would only turn our pictures into postcards and make money out of them! Obviously we had no intention of doing this, but even if we did you would think he would see it as good advertising for the bar!

Despite this experience though, I would recommend a quick drink at Whoopees if you’re in the area. There’s not much else round here, and the views are great – oh, and there are hammocks dotted around the park if you really want to chill for a while!

LTU Pub & Restaurant: Laid-back cliff top bar

At the LTU Bar

We’d read a lot about, and didn’t fancy, the tourist trap atmosphere of Rick’s Bar, so when the Rough Guide recommended LTU as a good nearby alternative we decided to give it a try. I have to say that we had a very pleasant evening here, but it was nothing like Rick’s – this doesn’t appear to be the place to come to watch cliff diving, but if you want a chilled-out evening with great margaritas and tasty unpretentious food, you could do a lot worse!

Favorite Dish: After watching the sunset from the bar, with a cold Red Stripe to accompany it, we moved to one of the cliff-side tables to eat. We shared a plate of stuffed jalapenos to start with, in addition to the complimentary pumpkin soup. For mains Chris chose the “Wiener Schnitzel”, which he enjoyed although it wasn’t quite like the schnitzels we’re used to in Austria, and I went for the jerk snapper fillets. The downside to this restaurant was that these mains came far too quickly, when we were still eating our starters, and on top of that mine wasn’t the snapper I’d ordered but chicken. However the waitress was very apologetic, and at least I got a break between courses while waiting for it to be replaced. When it came it was excellent. For dessert we shared the frozen key lime cheesecake – not as good as the one at the Hungry Lion but nevertheless pretty yummy. This meal, with a Red Stripe each, cost just US$47. We then stayed on for another drink at the bar (that great margarita!) and chatted a bit to some other customers who appeared to be regular visitors to Negril. We also enjoyed meeting the two resident cats, Pumpkin and (I think) Smokey.

The Little Sandwich Hut: Good patties

Buying the patties

Just opposite the Negril Escape is this little shack that sells various lunchtime snacks at very reasonable prices. We bought some patties here one day to take back and eat on our balcony. They were huge – mine with cheese and vegetables, Chris’s with beef. At just 250 Jamaican dollars (about US$4) we considered this a real bargain.

• balieyes's Profile Photo

Root Bamboo: Nice place!!!!!!!!!

by balieyes Written Jan 18, 2004

in some of these restaurants local and international artists perform. some of the most famous restaurants with live performances are "risky business", "roots bamboo", "alfred's ocean palace" and "fun holiday beach" in long bay. and "negril yacht club" and "sunset bar" in west end

Favorite Dish: the offer of places to eat is almost endless in negril. you find several stalls like this on the beach, where you can taste the local fast foods. mainly jerk chicken and patties. patties were my favorite cheap meal. there is the vegetable and the meat patty. you can't leave jamaica without tasting the jerk chicken either. the local dish is rice and beans. other local delicacies are the mushroom omelets, the crabs and the lobsters. in more expensive restaurants you can also have fish meals. meal prices, as everything else in jamaica, are not cheap, though.

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

Ricks Cafe: Lobster Yum Yum !

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 13, 2004

Ricks Cafe, Negril, Jamaica

Opened in 1974. Top Sunset Bar and Grill. Great Service, people watching, cliff divers, sunset, watching the dancers on the dance floor. Cliff Divers dive for tips. They do this for a living.

Favorite Dish: Lobster and Rice. The serve local and American : Burgers, pizza, filet mignon, kingfish, jerk chicken and of course speacials of the day. My husband had a drink that tasted like a chocolate sunday. Yum, yum. They serve non alcholic beverages too. Handicap accessible. All out door. If its raining forget it !

• School Holidays
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

• emily_nyc's Profile Photo

Pushcart at Pirate's Cave (Rockhouse Hotel): Clifftop dining for a great price

by emily_nyc Updated Jun 2, 2009

Pushcart, a clifftop restaurant associated with the nearby Rockhouse Hotel, is a fantastic place to dine. The setting and atmosphere are awesome: open-air dining set directly atop Negril's dramatic cliffs. A large and lively bar takes up the center of the restaurant, and a house DJ spins reggae and dancehall music throughout the night. The reasonably-priced menu offers a diverse selection of local specialties, and everything we ordered tasted fresh and flavorful. My order of jerk fish salad was incredible: the fish fillet was cooked and seasoned to perfection, and the bed of raw veggies on which it sat was fresh and crisp. For a yummy local treat that puts bread and butter to shame, try the Festival - which is something like deep fried and lightly sweetened corn bread. Yes, it is as good as it sounds.

I loved this place for both the food and the ambiance equally, and would recommend it for a variety of occasions: romantic dining, group dining, celebrations among friends, or for those who just want a solidly local experience and great food, without the ubiquitous stray dog begging at their feet.

Favorite Dish: -Jerk Fish Salad
    -Festival

• Women's Travel

• balieyes's Profile Photo

Bar b Barn: For fun, sun and sea stay at Bar-B-Barn

by balieyes Written Jan 18, 2004

You can sip a cup of Jamaica's best Blue Mountain Coffee or you can just relax and listen to the sound of the blue Caribbean Sea.

On the horizon you can see the Caribbean's most spectacular sunset right here every afternoon.You can sample a combination of local and international dishes prepared with that special Jamaican flair

• Miss Sonia's: Patties

by Andreaflem Written Feb 5, 2007

During our stay in Negril we had 1 afternoon of rain we took a walk - yes in the rain - it was so refreshing. Every Taxi which passed us stopped and looked at us as if we were mad when we didn't want a lift we wanted to walk!! However it soon came dwn very heavy we grabbd a taxi and directed him to Miss Sonia's she welcomed us with open arms we were her only customers at the time. We got a couple of red stripes and ordered patties from her menu Curries, pizza's ect are also available. Be prepared to wait as these are freshly cooked but it was lovely sitting in a sand floored local restaurant on a rainy afternoon. I was suprised at how large the patties were and glad I didn't order anything else I had chicken which was curried and my hubby had beef with vegetables both served with Miss Sonia's special sauce and plantain. Lovely

Favorite Dish: Patties

• jessiem's Profile Photo

MiYard: Where the locals go, the real Jamaican food

by jessiem Written Jun 16, 2009

Now, this is where the locals eat- not a tourist spot. You can find affordable genuine Jamaican food; ackee and saltfish, tuna or baracuda, steamed callaloo, bamee, fried bread fruit, sweet plantains, and festivals (a fried bread stick). Good food, but it is suggested that you don't go by yourself at night- druggies have a tendency to migrate over there. Just be aware. There is also nightly entertainment on their stage right outside the porch during the peak season.

Favorite Dish: I love the bamee and salt-fish and also the baracuda. You can get a lot of food for about $J 400.

• KiwiFrench's Profile Photo

Sun Beach Restaurant Bar and Jerk Hut: Gem On The Beach

by KiwiFrench Updated Dec 2, 2008

Dennis

Sun Beach Restaurant Bar & Jerk Hut

Located near the “Fire Fly”, “For Real”, and “Coco La Palm” resorts, right in the heart of stunning Seven Mile Beach in Negril, is the Sun Beach Restaurant Bar & Jerk Hut.
    Dennis, Bartender Extraordinaire, will enthusiastically welcome you. Having a knack for making a tourist feel right at home, he is certainly the ‘Host with the most’.
    We had the good fortune of meeting Dennis on the first night of our twelve-day stay at a neighboring hotel. The hospitality he showered us with set the tone for our entire vacation.
    Dennis became a trusted friend who assisted and advised us in any recreation we wanted to participate in; ensuring that we were treated very well throughout our stay.
    In addition to the comfort we felt and the fantastic blended drinks Dennis prepared for us – the numerous dinners we ate at Sun Beach were delectable. Everything is fresh and cooked to order.
    The atmosphere was unbeatable; dining by candlelight, ocean-side, with our toes in the soft warm sand.
    Meals and drinks are very reasonably priced and the customer service is top-notch. The entire staff there treated us wonderfully!
    If I am ever blessed enough to revisit beautiful Negril, Sun Beach will be my first destination. It is truly a gem of Seven Mile Beach.

Favorite Dish: The Lobster Thermadore was by far the best I have ever tasted and all the pork entrees just melted in our mouth. Accompanying our dinners was a generous portion of savory rice and an exquisite blend of fresh local vegetables.
    Often, I felt full halfway through my meal; Yet, I finished every morsel on my plate, unable to resist the amazing flavors.

• Beaches

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Bourbon Beach: Bourbon Beach

by malianrob Written Apr 12, 2009

We were asking around, to locals, where we could get some good jerk chicken and many said here at Bourbon Beach.
    It was good, the atmosphere was cool, beachy, laidback. They had a fully stocked bar and they cook right in front of you. The chicken was good and affordable, the service lacked big time.

• jessiem's Profile Photo

The Whistling Bird: Five course fine dining

by jessiem Updated Jun 16, 2009

Located on Norman Manley Boulevard, in walking distance from Alfred's Ocean Palace, is the Whistling Bird resort. In addition to the 5 course meals, they are now offering a Small Plates Lunch Menu, which is nice considering it can be hard to find lunch during the slow season. They make American favorites, like hamburgers, mac n' cheese and pizza or authentic Jamaican foods like Cioppino fish stew, Jerk chicken sandwiches, lobster salad and escoveitched fish. Ranging from $5-$20, the prices are reasonable and the food great. The 5 course meals are even more delicious, with soup, homemade bread, and desserts, like Pineapple Flambe' that is lit on fire! The main courses range from lobster to coconut chicken, snapper with callaloo, and pepper steak. For breakfast you can eat the fresh mango and pineapple with french toast, the best I've ever had. I think that has to do with the homemade bread. The bacon is awesome, I don't know where they find such good bacon. Or there's always the ackee and Johnny Cakes if you're looking for local foods. T
    They also do catering for groups and weddings. If you are a guest, they will seat you under the cabana on your last day to eat dinner at sunset. My sister came here with her boyfriend for their 5 year anniversary and said it was very romantic.

www.negriljamaica.com/whistlingbird
    (876) 957-4403 or (303) 442-0722

Favorite Dish: I love fish. So my favorite dish is the Snapper de Chef. Poached Red Snapper with cream sauce, steamed callaloo and mashed potatoes with homemade bread.

Instant Answers: Negril

Comments

Negril Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Negril restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Negril sightseeing.