Negril Shopping

• Shopping
    new area
    by dustmon
    one of the fish ladies--Myrna

Most Recent Shopping in Negril

• malianrob's Profile Photo

All over the beach: On Beach

by malianrob Updated Apr 14, 2009

There are many places set up to purchase local craft along the beach. But be careful. I wanted to see what little souveniers will cost. I hadnt priced out anything went and the first place I went to was charging me something ridiculous. I was checking out these bracelets with the Jamaican colors. For five of them the guy wanted to charge me $30USD. At first I thought, "Man its expensive out here!". I said no thanks. I went some where else and bout 5 bracelets for $2USD each.
    We went to another location and the vendors were calling us over. We said no thank you, maybe later. The next day they wanted tus to go back and said , " You said later yesterday." One lady even got mad because I went to another lady right next to her.
    You can find good deals here but you need to be firm. There are some cute stuff here and you can bargain. Just know that they are good at bargaining too.

What to pay: bargain as much as you can because there is lots of competition

• KiwiFrench's Profile Photo

Vendor: Name Braclets

by KiwiFrench Written Nov 19, 2008

Oden

While vacationing in Negril I met many locals on the beach who I enjoyed seeing every day. There are really a lot of really wonderful people in Jamaica. The person who struck me the most was a young man selling custom bracelets.
    I bought three bracelets from Oden. It was amazing to watch him as he fashioned these bracelets, with lettering on them, from scratch.
    While he made the bracelets for me, we had a lovely conversation. He described the farm he lives on, told me about his family and friends and his hopes and dreams. Through our banter, we learned that we have a few things in common.
    Every day after I met him he stopped by my resort to say hello. Maybe it’s the Mom in me, but in the short time I spent with Oden I really bonded with him. I was very impressed with what a nice young man he is.
    I would recommend to anyone going to Seven Mile Beach to keep an eye out for Oden, and buy a bracelet or two from him.

What to buy: Custom made Bracelet

What to pay: $3-$5 U.S. The more you buy, the more you save

• Beaches

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Collectibles at the Hungry Lion: Browse for crafts before dinner

by toonsarah Written Apr 15, 2008

Cushion from Negril

Again on the search for more unusual souvenirs, we found ourselves one evening in the shop below the Hungry Lion Restaurant on the West End Road. As well as an interesting collection of paintings and photographs by local artists there was a small number of craft items for sale, mainly wood carvings (of a much better quality than many we’d seen in the markets, but consequently dearer) and some gorgeous silk cushions. In style they looked more Indian than Caribbean, but we were assured by the owner that they were made by a local lady, and the colours were so vibrant and the price so reasonable (US$10) that we just had to buy one. And I do mean buy a cushion, not a cushion cover, so packing it was a bit of a challenge, but of course it squashed down nicely and arrived home looking as lovely as it had in the shop. I think it looks fantastic on our dark brown sofa, and whenever I sit there I’m reminded of our great time in Negril, and of one of our favourite restaurants there.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Z Gallery: An interesting collection

by toonsarah Written Apr 15, 2008

Z Gallery - the sign that caught our eye

There are many places in Negril where you can buy all the usual Jamaican souvenirs – wood carvings, colourful paintings, bead jewellery, etc. Nothing really took my fancy however, until we visited this more up-market shop and gallery on the first floor of a block of shops just west of the roundabout in the centre of town (the same block that houses Burger King).

What to buy: Objects for sale here included some good paintings and photographs of typical island scenes, wood carvings, pottery, little boxes made from gourds and coconut shells, jewellery, greetings cards and table ware such as place mats. In the end I chose this glass, wire and leather necklace (photo 2) from a selection in different colours.

What to pay: I paid US$12.50 for my necklace, which I thought was reasonable – and of course, there is no haggling in a shop like this.

• laustic's Profile Photo

Jamaica Janes: For Quality Souvenirs

by laustic Updated Dec 7, 2007

Negril is not really a shopping destination -- you'll find the usual beach stalls with ticky tacky tourist crap. If you want a Red Stripe shirt or hat -- I recommend shopping at the Red Stripe store at MoBay airport. They have the best selection and the ladies that work there were really nice!

Jamaica Jane's is across from Idle Awhile and if you stay at Idle Awhile you can charge your merchandise to your room. Jamaica Jane's is a very tasteful and relatively upscale gift shop so you'll find some nice things here to bring back as gifts. I got a very nice little hand painted box here that I keep playing cards in.

• balieyes's Profile Photo

Carole No Problem Mon Gift Shop: Markets

by balieyes Updated Jan 18, 2004

the walk along long bay will take you between one and two hours. once you get to the other end of the beach you can walk back to your place or take a taxi.

some of these souvenirs are hand made by the sellers themselves. as you can imagine, bob marley memorabilia is very popular in jamaica. towels and t-shirts with the jamaican flag are also for sale

What to buy: in this picture you can see some of the souvenirs for sale in one of the shops in Negril. the seller told me he was the artist who carved this wood sculptures. i do not know if this is true. i am only sure about one thing, the one who carved the souvenirs was a real artist.

other popular souvenirs are the bob marley memorabilia, the ganja (=marihuana) t-shirts, the ganja pipes, bracelets, the rasta caps, and many others. towels with the jamaican flag were my favorites

• balieyes's Profile Photo

About Money

by balieyes Written Jan 17, 2004

What to pay: another thing you should not forget to bring is as much money as you can. the local currency is the jamaican dollar, but us dollars are widely accepted. you do not need the money to lie on the beach --all beaches in negril are public and free, but you will enjoy more your stay if you have plenty of money to spend in the many water activities that are offered on the beach.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Scotia Bank: got cash?

by dustmon Written Jun 24, 2012
    ATMs here

Scotia Bank near the roundabout has 2 ATMs---one for J$ and the other for US$. Usually security close by, a safe place to get cash.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Negril

Comments

Negril Shopping

Reviews and photos of Negril shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Negril sightseeing.