Lighthouse, Negril

mango tree

Going to the Negril Lighthouse

by dustmon Updated May 2, 2011

Negril Lighthouse at dusk

This is a really fun thing to do that's pretty much free! The Lighthouse is on the westernmost point of Jamaica and has a large open area with a few shade trees that is made for a picnic lunch----It is only a short walk from Rick's Cafe and there are small groceries along the road where one can purchase fruits, cheese and bread, and drinks, and there are also roadside grills selling jerk chicken usually after noon....My friend Leroy sells his version next door to Tykes Bikes rental---1/4 bird with callaloo (a spinach like green) and rice/peas for about $7 US.
    Mr. Johnson is the caretaker of the Lighthouse and will take you up to the top (most days if he is there) for the view. Please tip him for this! There is a really old phone about half way up the stairs! There are also cannons among the grounds for picture opportunities.
    updated April 2011
    Saw Mr Johnson again----I did not really want to go up to the top this time so just shook his hand and walked around the grounds a bit taking a few new photos---the water was really clear blue this day!

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

Walking on Lighthouse Road

by dustmon Updated Oct 9, 2010

mango tree

Lighthouse Road is the road that goes up the cliff from the roundabout in the center of Negril. I really enjoy walking this road even though sometimes cars go past pretty quickly! The rule of the road is, that when you hear a car coming and if the road is narrow, just slow down and let them pass, then continue on. If you are staying up at one of the cliff-side resorts, you can go for a walk and talk to real craftsmen and women, stop and get a cold Red Stripe beer, or strike up a conversation with a local. Yes, you will probably be asked to stop and look over goods from plenty of folk and if you like what you see, do so, but if not a "no thanks" is usually enough. One trick I have learned is to walk with someone and be having a conversation---most folk will not interrupt if you are into a conversation. I have been going to Negril for over 35 years and have friends there, so I enjoy seeing and talking to them----Confidence when walking is key---do not feel pressured by anyone and keep smiling!
    Negril is truly a Garden of Eden in alot of ways---check out the photo of the mango tree on the side of the Road..........all kinds of fruit and veggie trees line the road, such as breadfruit and papaya.....

• Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

Lighthouse Restaurant

by dustmon Written Aug 19, 2010

lighthouse

Right across the street from the Lighthouse, this is a great place to get a Red Stripe or a meal---My new friend Odinthor (VT-er supreme) says this is a good place for Mento music---a kind of Calypso/reggae that I am not familiar with, but am going this October and will definitely check it out and review in this spot, so stay tuned! A huge menu on the web, but I am sure they always have fresh fish, cold red stripe and rum, and good vibes all the time!

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Negril Lighthouse

by malianrob Written Apr 12, 2009

I have a thing about lighthouses so I made Rob take me here after we had a few drinks at Ricks Cafe. I didnt realize how close we were to the Lighthouse until we got to Ricks and as we were watching the cliff divers I saw the lighthouse in the distance.
    The Lighthouse is at the westernmost tip of Jamaica and it stands about 100ft tall.
    We walked all the way over here from our hotel in Negril. It was a long walk but it was also very nice. We also got a chance to get away from all the vendors on the beach.

Instant Answers: Negril