Negril Warnings and Dangers

Near Negril on a busy morning
    A little Reggae on the beach. For $5 US
    It really IS coolmon!

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Negril

• Don't Drink the Water.

by tjbaldwin Written Apr 18, 2003

I would advise you not to drink the water as a percaution. It might not agree with your digestive tract. Also this is an all-inclusive resort but bottled water is not included. You can buy them in the gift shop for aruond $2/liter. We took a collapsible cooler and put some in there when we went to the beach.

• sallysuewho's Profile Photo

Cab drivers

by sallysuewho Written Jan 10, 2003

I recommend finding out what color tags are the approved by Jamaica tags for cab drivers. I am sorry that I can not recall what color they are. If you go with a non approved driver you are running the risk of being taken somewhere you do not want to go and being expected to pay a hefty sum for it. Also, make sure you have setteled upon a cab fee BEFORE you get in the cab.

women traveling alone

by goingsolo Written Sep 26, 2002

be careful, even within the resort area. My girlfriend and I selected a resort because we were two single women travelling alone and felt we would be safer that way. However, many resorts are open to locals in the evening, which were were not told beforehand. This lead to problems for us as we were followed back to our room. If you're a woman traveling alone or with a girlfriend, make sure to ask about the resorts policies and security

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

All inclusive doesn't mean what it sounds like

by goingsolo Written Sep 26, 2002

Most resorts in this area say that they are all-inclusive- you pay one price, usually a steep one, and then pay nothing the rest of the trip. Not quite. Aside from tipping those whose transport you from the airport to the resort (its supposed to be complimentary but drivers and porters stick their hands out and ask for $$), the resort also offers tours for an extra price and activities such as diving and boat rides offered by the resort are also available for- you guessed it- an additional charge. And last, but not least, there is a departure fee which must be paid at the airport. Its nice to know this before embarking on vacation- which we did not.

Panhandling

by goingsolo Updated Sep 26, 2002

Jamaica is a poor country which depends largely on tourism. For this reason, many locals frequent the resort areas and attempt to get money from tourists. Many offer to braid your hair or sell local crafts, which is fine, but others will offer to sell drugs to tourists.

• ajwalks's Profile Photo

Watch out for local merchants,...

by ajwalks Written Aug 26, 2002

Watch out for local merchants, they can be very pushy and have a refuse to lose mentality when it comes to selling you something. Also, if you rent a car, be extremely careful driving around, as there are no real rules enforced.

Instant Answers: Negril

• wchaves4's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

My friend and I just came back from Negril, I am so thankful that we stayed at the west end by the cliff side since we didn't nearly got as bugged as a lot of people that stayed on 7 mile beach. I am so glad that I picked the cliff side, we stayed at XTabi which was amazing, I highly recommend it, the staff was great and they have a great location with easy access to the ocean. They also have a free shuttle that goes to 7 mile beach or catch a cap for $10. Whenever we went to 7 mile beach we got supper irritated at the fact that everyone is trying to make a buck out of the us, it is so annoying, we tried to walk and at least got stopped 50 times, it is ridiculous, it is a beautiful place but Jamaican's desperation is apparent at this place, they won't leave you alone, and they get all up on your personal space. Be careful on the tours that you take, people will try to charge you more, we got screwed a couple of times, and it ended up being a much more expensive vacation than what we thought!
    Beautiful place, but good luck saving money!!! Will not go there for a long time...much rather visit other places where you can have some peace and quiet like Belize (san pedro and Placencia) oh and watch out for the hookers they are everywhere, and the locals that take you around expect for you to pay for everything and when I mean everything is EVERYTHING...so watch out for that, they expect for you to pay for their beer, entrance to clubs, concerts etc...DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!! They all do it!!! I hope this helps!

Negril Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Negril warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Negril sightseeing.