Places to eat in Jamaica

The Ambience...Priceless
    by barrylee
    Tables set up for our family dinner
    Jerry's Jerk Chicken Pasta

Most Viewed Restaurants in Jamaica

• solopes's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: A landmark

by solopes Updated Dec 19, 2013

Located in the beach of Negril, this was the most lively place we visited in Jamaica. Too close to the water, in a narrow stripe of sand, it allows eating and bathing almost at the same time.

We have been there for lunch but, by the look, I think that it must be interesting also for the night.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Rick's Cafe: Where everybody goes

by solopes Updated Dec 6, 2012

Referred as one local attraction, the sunset at Ricks calls hundreds of tourists everyday.

Music, diving and noise are the "company" to drinks and snacks, at the tables, or anywhere.
    I write and show a little more in my Negril's page.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Ruins at the Falls: The Ruins at the Falls

by TravellerMel Written Nov 27, 2012

A lunch stop was included in our Carnival Cruise excursion to Dunn's River Falls. A short drive from the Falls was this restaurant - The Ruins at the Falls. Absolutely beautiful - I could totally imagine weddings being held here. The staff was very friendly and brought us our food quickly (good thing, since we were HUNGRY!). The food was very tasty, but I was a little disappointed that we didn't get jerk chicken. C'mon - we are in Jamaica! What we did have was yummy and filling - I would love to come back and be able to order off the menu. :-)

In order to take photos on site, you must pay the $1 to the steward. Totally worth it - it is beautiful there, and he will even take your picture with your camera. There is also a staff photographer who will print pictures with a Jamaican border - 4x6 = $5.

• Cruise

• RawdgerDodger's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffet's Jamaican Restaurant of Choice

by RawdgerDodger Updated May 29, 2011

Some of our best pictures during our entire stay in Jamiaca were taken here at Margaritaville right as the sun was going down. This three story on the water restaurant was a great place for food and drinks over the ocean. It was perfect to stimulate that pre-party atmosphere before we started our trek to the local night clubs.
    The Jerk Chicken was tasty and the drinks were well made catered to our tourist taste buds. Yet I will have to advise sticking with the chicken and staying away from the shellfish if you order food. The shrimp that one of my friends had was a bit on the fishy side but the waiter was cool and took it back without charging us. So, stick with the chicken and you will be just fine.

Favorite Dish: Obviously the Jerk Chicken! Perfectly cooked with that jerk taste.

• Singles

• 7h0rn's Profile Photo

The Native: Jerk Lobster

by 7h0rn Updated Apr 4, 2011

After being on the resort so many days, we ventured into Mobay proper for a day of shopping and local food. We decided on The Native because of where we were in town and it being so close. Turns out to be a very good decision. The view from the resturant is lovely: overlooking a park and a large bay (I wish I remembered my camera and the name of the bay). When we ordered, I picked out something other then what I got, which was fine with me - on vacation I didn't care so long as I didn't get steak when I ordered fish - you know?

I ordered a fish dish - in jerk sauce, but I got a lobster tail baked with jerk sauce... close enough for me (and fortunately I love lobster). My friend ordered some tilapia (I believe) and we shared some kind of corn-meal bread that was very moist and thick. The beautiful day and location and beer with the gentle breeze made the whole lunch an unforgettable experience.

Favorite Dish: Jerk Lobster tail

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Pablos: Get down to Pablos bar

by Steve-H Updated Apr 4, 2011

Next Pablos Bar is a kitchen where you can enjoy some great local cuisine, from lobster to saltfish and ackee, you can even bring your own. One thing is for sure - you will not meet nicer people anywhere in the world.

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Jack Sprats Restaurant & Record Shop: The 'trendy' place in town

by danmcf Written Feb 10, 2010

Jack Sprats is the trendy place in Treasure Beach, and they do get a crowd - both locals & tourists.
    It's right on the beach with some of the tables set up in the sand.
    We spent a good bit of time here one evening. We had walked down from Taino Cove, but it managed to rain a bit. Winnie was kind enough to drive down & pick us up. While we were waiting we had some great conversation with a few of the locals there that evening.

Favorite Dish: I had the jerked lobster and it was definitely good!

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Oliver's Dutch Pot: Simple but great!

by danmcf Written Feb 10, 2010

Oliver use to be the chef at Lover's Leap, and they've really made a mistake by letting him go.
    He now owns and operates his own little restaurant in the May Len Plaza, Treasure Beach.

A simple menu that rotates between some really tasty dishes.

We had a wonderful meal, and great conversation both provided by Oliver.

Favorite Dish: I was bound and determined to try some curry goat while in Jamaica and Oliver didn't disappoint.

Joan had a seafood medley that was a bit spicy for her, but I thought was great.

The lemon grass tea was also outstanding.

All prepared with loving care by Oliver.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Jerk Chicken Stands: Jerk Chicken Stands

by malianrob Written Apr 1, 2009

Some of the best food that we tasted was from the little Jerk Chicken Stands that were up and down the street in Negril. From what I saw they were in Ocho Rios and in Montego Bay too.
    The Jerk chicken is made right there in these carts that the vendors can move all around town with. It smelled real good so we had to try it. We had jerk chicken and other foods at other restaurants but the ones from the carts were the best and least expensive. Dont be afraid to try some of the street food. We loved it.

Favorite Dish: The food from the carts is very simple. We had 1/2 a chicken, the jerk sauce is alittle spicey but not too much, and we were given bread. It was pretty filling. All this for $3.00. It was the cheapest meal in town. And the best.

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Le Gourmet Restaurant: This Place Is A Must

by onestepaway Written Aug 13, 2008

This place was great and we only dined here once, we should have dined here every night, we just didnt feel like dressing up each time, we loved to be casual but this place was very good and the servers were perfect from the beginning to the end it was a perfect meal.

Favorite Dish: Scallop Sautées en Bisque de Homard, Champignons Sauvages et Radis Chinois - Sauté scallops nestled on lobster bisque, topped with forest mushrooms and dicon.

Fruits Frais Gazpacho, Relevé de Rhum Vieux - Fresh fruit soup Gazpacho enhanced with aged rum.

Salade César Maison - Our very own Caesar salad with garlic croutons and bacon.

Faux Filet Steak de Boeuf au Poivre - Rib Eye Steak with pink peppercorns, Dijon cream sauce.

• Castaner's Profile Photo

Spiderman's Place: Can't miss this local favorite!

by Castaner Written Jun 25, 2008

This place is completely outside the tourist zone. Our driver David took us there when we asked him to take us somewhere that local people go to. Like anywhere else in Jamaica, we were treated very well and served jerk pork and chicken with rice at a shockingly low price. In order to get there, you should go with a local. Hail a taxi and ask them to take you there.

Favorite Dish: Jerked pork, the classic Jamaican dish, is a specialty here. You can't miss it!

• School Holidays

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Roadside eating and drinking

by toonsarah Updated Mar 13, 2008

I admit that in some countries we visit I’m cautious about eating food from roadside stalls, but you need have no worries on that score in Jamaica, and we had some delicious meals from such places. The best of them are the jerk centres, and some are now as established as more conventional restaurants. We loved Scotchies, near St Ann’s Bay, for instance. There’s also good seafood to be had, although when we stopped for a meal in a seafood shack near Montego Bay we chose jerk pork – again!

You’ll never go thirsty while travelling around either. There are so many of these little drinks shacks selling beers and soft drinks, and prices are much cheaper than in the tourist establishments. We both liked the local soda, Ting (a grapefruit-based fizzy drink) and the Red Stripes also went down rather well. One of drivers told us that it’s not illegal to have open bottles of alcoholic drinks in the car, as long as the driver isn’t drinking it, so grab a chilled bottle and sit back and enjoy the ride!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Juici Patties: Fast food, Jamaican style

by toonsarah Updated Mar 8, 2008

Juici Patties is a Jamaican fast food chain – their answer to McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken. A meal here is a far more authentic way to experience the island than any burger or the Colonel’s attempts at jerk chicken could be. As the name suggests, among the main offerings are traditional Jamaican patties – pastry cases filled with beef, chicken or vegetables, a little like a Cornish pasty. Also available are loaves (a bit like a stuffed pitta bread), sweet cakes and jerk dishes.

We stopped at the branch near Bog Walk for breakfast one day. The breakfast menu included saltfish with callaloo, chicken stew and liver served with dasheen (a sort of yam) and dumplings. Chris had the latter and said it was good, though the grey colour of the dasheen (see photo 3) was a little off-putting. I’m afraid I was feeling a little off colour (one rum too many the previous evening!) so stuck to the safer option of a delicious spicy carrot cake and an orange juice.

By the way, it helps to know the system here. You queue first at the till to place your order and pay, then move to the food counter and hand over the receipt to have your order made up. Sodas are self-service and refills free, and prices for everything very reasonable – our breakfast cost only a few dollars.

• sdicksteina's Profile Photo

Best of the West: Jerk Chicken-Best on Long Beach

by sdicksteina Written Feb 26, 2008

Finding the best Jerk Chicken is Jamaica is a worthy pursuit for anyone who likes to eat! In Negril we have two recomendations. If you are ready for lunch on Long Beach, head to Best of the West take a minute to cross the Road and check it out.

For the best Jerk Chicken on the west end, head to Three Dives. Be ready to chill awhile as they are a bit slow, even by Jamaican standards. But the food is worth the wait. Go for dinner--the place is not always open when Americans are looking for lunch.

Favorite Dish: Great Jerk Chicken--best sauce in Negril, IMHO

• Jerk Pit Montego Bay: Do the Jerk!

by actor22_2000 Written Dec 28, 2007

This was the best Jerk I have ever had! They grill it over a open fire and you can get ribs or chicken. I thougt that the ribs were a little bit hotter than the chicken. Be ready and order several Red Stripes to go a long with it as your tongue will be ablaze!!!! i know that most people only fly into Montego Bay and I myself would not stay there again while visiting. I would also move along to the more popular Negril or Ocho. i am sure that both of these more tourist areas will also have a little place just like it.

Favorite Dish: Jerk Chicken!!!!!

Jamaica Hotels

1 Hotel
Mandeville Hotels
4 Reviews - 11 Photos

Instant Answers: Jamaica

Comments

Jamaica Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jamaica restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jamaica sightseeing.
Map of Jamaica