Philipsburg Things to Do

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

That Yoda Guy Museum

by DEBBBEDB Written Jul 27, 2013
    Exhibit showing costume

I thought of this primarily as a store, but really it is a museum. The museum was given an award as one of the top three museums in the area. I found out about it on the Disney cruise which I guess is partly because Disney now owns Star Wars.

In TODAY the Newspaper for Country St. Martin Nick is quoted:
    “We are really very proud that our tiny exhibit has been honored in this way,” says Nick Maley, the veteran Star Wars creature builder who runs the exhibit with his wife Gloria. Nick is an international artist, best known as That Yoda Guy for his contribution to the creation of Yoda and other creatures for Star Wars. “It is extraordinary that our little museum, which relies totally on visitor donations and memorabilia sales for our funding, should be ranked with such auspicious state supported institutions in Puerto Rico and Cuba. Perhaps our popularity is because we tell the inside story about the making of Yoda, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Terminator, Alien, Highlander, Superman & more. Maybe it is because we house life-casts of famous movie stars from 6 decades including Harrison Ford, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Michael Jackson, Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Cagney, Bella Lugosi and Boris Karloff.

• Museum Visits

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Courthouse

by grandmaR Written Jul 26, 2013
    Courthouse

Front Street's most prominent landmark is a grand white wooden structure topped with a cupola, built in 1793 as the home of Commander John Philips (the town's founder) on the historic Courthouse on Watney Square.. The building has served as a fire station, jail and post office over its long history and is one of St. Maarten's most prominent landmarks. It now serves as St. Maarten's courthouse

When we took the water taxi over from the ship pier, we sat down in front of the Courthouse to wait for the Alamo driver to pick us up

• Architecture

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

That Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit

by grandmaR Written Jul 24, 2013

There is a museum upstairs on Front Street which has exhibits of work of the artist who did Yoda for the Star Wars movies. I didn't go upstairs because I didn't want to leave my scooter but my granddaughter went up and looked around and did some shopping. I just stayed at the bottom of the stairs and took photos of what was there.

• Museum Visits

• pencho15's Profile Photo

The Courthouse

by pencho15 Written Mar 21, 2008

Sint Maarten Court house

Appart from the two forts I couldn't visit the Courthouse stands as the only historic building in Sint Maarten, and so it has became a symbol to the city and a touristic atraction. the courthouse is built in wood, and it dates from 1793.
    I tought it was very fun when i get in the building to see a sign in wich You could read "dear travelers: this is not the post office, it's the court house. Thank You and enjoy your stay".
    How many tourist tried to send a letter in here that they found it was necessary to put that letter?

In front of the courthouse there is a road taking you to a small beach and a lot of taxis wait there for customers so if you need to reach someplace outside Philipsburg or the french city of Marigot you'll find transport in here (otherwise it is beter to walk).

• pencho15's Profile Photo

Beaches

by pencho15 Written Feb 21, 2008

Barefoot Boulevard

As in all the Caribean, the beach is undoubtedly one of the top attractions in Sint Maarten.
    The best places to get into the sea are not in Philipsburg, but in other places of the island, I didn't visit those but you can read about them in other members pages.
    I did visit a small beach located in the city, Philipsburg has two streets, front and back, but there is also a walk in front of the beach that I am surprised didn't find mentioned in any other Philipsburg or Sint Maarten page, it is called Barefoot Boulevard and there are some restaurants in wich You can take a drink. The beach here is not spectacular, but if You don't have time to travel to the other beaches You have another option here.

• Beaches

• Suzanne123's Profile Photo

Yacht Racing

by Suzanne123 Written Apr 4, 2006

This is so much fun to do. Try sailing in the 12 meter challenge. Take a 15 minute walk along the beach, as far away from the centre, as you can to nearby the cruise ships. This is Bobby's Marina. Ask at the 12 meter challenge desk if there is any space available. It is $70 per person and is soooo worth it! I was not able to prebook over the internet cause nobody got back to me, but had luck in person. This is a very popular excursion with cruise ship folks.

Instant Answers: Philipsburg

Comments

Philipsburg Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Philipsburg things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Philipsburg sightseeing.