Willemstad Restaurants

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Iguana Cafe: Best Restaurant In Town

by briantravelman Updated Aug 23, 2015

This place is AMAZING!

The restaurant is located on the picturesque Punda waterfront, so you can eat your meal while enjoying the colorful architecture of Punda and Otrabanda. The outdoor seating and music also creates a nice European atmosphere.

We actually ate here twice, which should be saying enough. The first time we came here was on a Sunday, and only this restaurant and another restaurant next door was open, so we chose this one. It was the right decision.

The first time we ordered a cheese burger with fries, as well as an Italian Chicken salad, and some local drinks. The burger cost just $11 USD, which was cheap compared to most of the other stuff they had on the menu. I don't remember how much the other stuff cost.
    I wasn't sure what to expect, as I know American food is different in other countries, but the burger and fries were delicious. The salad itself would've also been filling enough, as it was also delicious, and there was a lot of it.
    The drinks were also delicious. There is even a warning on the menu, not to drink too many of them.

The second visit was even better, and quite a surprise.
    We came back here on our last day, which happened to be my birthday. I was kind of in the mood for chicken strips, but thought they were a bit pricey, but ordered them anyways. I was expecting to just get 4 or 5 strips, like they give you in the U.S., but after they were brought to me, I understood why they were so expensive. They are made differently than they are in the U.S., and there was a WHOLE plate of them. It was actually interesting to see a local twist, on what is generally considered "American food".
    We also ordered what we thought would be a steak, but it turned out to be two steaks. Plus there were a lot of sides that came with the food as well, such as fries and macaroni, which were of course delicious.
    There was SO much of it, we couldn't finish it all.
    Twice in my life I saw so much food, both times on Curacao. It won't take you long to discover that Curacaoans love large portions.
    We also ordered some cokes, and a local drink called the "Blue Lagoon", which had Blue Curacao, coconut juice, and some other stuff. It was absolutely delicious.
    We ended up paying a little over $50 USD for the whole meal. I thought it was a bit pricey, even for the amount of food we were served, but we had no regrets, as it kept us full for the rest of the day. How's THAT for a last meal?

My only complaint is that I didn't see many meals of the menu that were typically Curacaoan. That being said, it was still the best meal we had on the island. Staff was also great.

Apparently, they also do tattoos.

If you're hungry after a day of site seeing, this is the place to come.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Strips

Birthday Lunch That's A LOT of food! American Food Local Cocktail Outdoor Seating

• henri123's Profile Photo

old market

by henri123 Written Feb 26, 2008

Go there to have local food but also to sit with local people; large tables you may sit with a whole family.
    This place is covered and fresh; a very good place to have a drink also.

Instant Answers: Willemstad

Comments

Willemstad Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Willemstad restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Willemstad sightseeing.