Granada Favorites

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

people

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jan 13, 2011
    Mi amigo

Favorite thing: In Granada,like any other city in the world ,that has many street vendors walking towards you and try to sell their things.I found that people here are not that hard and not pushing us much,That is what I feel,but somebody may think that it's pushing and irritating(yes, I will feel irritating as well if they push too much)but in Granada I just smile back at them and said "no thank you " . Of course they all tried to ask one more time and I still smile sweetly to them and said the same, and all will get it and walk away.By doing just a good manner to them will not hurt both sides.There was a young man aged around 16-17 I guess,we met him everyday and he tried to sell his pottery to me every time seeing me.He knew I won't buy it,because I told him already that my bag is too small to carry such a thing,but we become like friends,we just say hello ,talk a bit.One night at Calle la Calzada he showed some games for us,he has some talent.In the mean time some other vendors gathering our table to see his show.They all tried to sell things to us as well but they sell too much the same thing.I told them to sell some other thing that smaller and make it more variety.My boy heard this ,and immediately ran somewhere just to bring some small bracelet to me.Again ,my heart melt,so I bought a bracelet from him finally.He look so tired ,so we bought some coke for him that night.I'm telling you this story because even this is a small thing but it's still in my mind and he is one of a person that I will remember as a friend from Nicaragua.It's a pity that I forgot his name ,if anybody should meet him,can you ask his name for me?Thank you very much.

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

Use Tierra Tours

by nyceagle1633 Written Oct 9, 2010

Favorite thing: Tierra Tours is reasonable and very professional. The more people on your tour, the cheaper.

Fondest memory: Las Isletas tour and Volcan Masaya tour (includes spots at various places of interest that are superb, like Lake Masaya, Lake Apoyo, Masaya markets, San Juan de Oriente, Catarina etc..

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Banks

by paradisedreamer Updated Jul 25, 2005

Favorite thing: You basically have to carry a lot of cash in Nicaragua, not all hotels take travellers checks and out of the cities there are very few banks. It is a long process to change travellers cheques as they check each number and will phone American Express and check they are valid etc. The best thing to do is to have an ATM card and draw when you are in the city and have a credit card for emergencies.

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Tierra tours

by paradisedreamer Updated Jul 25, 2005

Favorite thing: Tierra tours do transfers between cities as well as organising various day tours. We found them to be well organised, with very informative guides. Their prices are about average and sometimes cheaper than other tour offices. We did the following tours:
    Masaya - The tour was only USD18 plus C65 entrance fee to the national park. Please see my Masaya page for more info
    Las Isletas - There were over 6 people on our tour so it was only $10 each and Sam was free, the tour is about 2.5 hours and includes a drink on one of the islands.
    Calle La Calzada

Cocibolca

by isolanthui Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Cocibolca (the traditional name for the Lake Nicaragua), 8264 square kilometers (surpassed in Latin America only by Lake Titicaca in Bolivia).
    Surface altitude: 31 mteres above sea level.
    Dimensions: 160 kilometers by 60 kilometers.

• Eco-Tourism

Church of San Francisco

by isolanthui Written Sep 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Granada's imposing San Francisco convent and chruch dates from 1529. Withing the conveent walls are two museums. The Museum of Anthropology and History of Granada (Museo de antropologia e Historia de la Ciudad de Granada).

Jalteva Church

by isolanthui Updated Sep 11, 2002

Favorite thing: The church of Jalteva (or Xalteva), which faces a very neat park with a formal ponds, is only 2 blocks away from La Merced.

The Church of La Merced

by isolanthui Written Sep 3, 2002

Favorite thing: The Church of La Merced (Our Lady of Mercy), dating from 1781, built in the Central American adaptation of the Churrigueresque style.

Instant Answers: Granada

Comments

Granada Favorites

Reviews and photos of Granada favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Granada sightseeing.