Granada Transportation

Carriage Rides
    by Jim_Eliason
    Carriage Rides
    by Jim_Eliason
  • Waiting for bus in front of Masaya entrance.
    Waiting for bus in front of Masaya...
    by rosequartzlover1

Most Recent Transportation in Granada

From Granada to León

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 4, 2014

Granada, Calle Atravesada

There is no direct bus from Granada to León. You have to change it in Managua. Minibuses and large vans make the trip from Granada to Managua for 20 córdobas (December 2010). They leave Granada every 20 minutes starting at 6:30am. The trip lasts about an hour. Buses leave Granada from Calle Vega, one block south of the Parque Central, and arrive at the UCA bus terminal in Managua (UCA = Universidad Centroamericana; the terminal is located across the street from the university).

As soon as we approached the terminal, there were drivers calling 'Leon', 'Granada' etc, depending on where they were heading, so it was easy to find the right bus. The express minibus leaves as soon as all seats are taken so usually you don't need to wait long. But since it was December 24th (when many people travel) there was a long line of passengers waiting for the bus. Surprisingly, we did not need to wait very long as buses were coming and leaving all the time. After about 30 minutes I was on the bus to León. The journey took about 1,5 hours and it was 40 córdobas. You don't have to purchase a ticket in advance, just get it on the bus.

At the bus terminal in Leon I took a taxi to hotel El sueño de Meme where I was going to meet my friend Petra. The taxi was 15 cordobas.

Late night transfer from Managua Airport

Houston on X-mas Eve

Budget travelers from North America will find that six hours of flying time can easily turn into an all-day affair since transfer to a Managua bound jet will occur in either Miami or Houston. So, arrival in Managua after 10pm is not uncommon. Rather than stay at the Best Western across the street, actually a very good option, it's also possible to get a Paxeos shuttle direct to your hotel in Granada. A couple arriving will pay Paxeos about half the price of a higher end hotel stay to make the 45 minute trip, however.

• Business Travel

La UCA Buses to Managua and Leon

by atufft Written Jan 23, 2013

Our hotel clerk recommended paying $90- for a special shuttle direct to Managua, because Managua was "dangerous". We also knew that the yellow school bus or "chicken bus" also went to Managua for a fare not much more than $1-, but with a multitude of stops. But we quickly learned that there's also a bus station devoted to Managua just a block from Parque Colon. These white mini-buses are like large shuttle buses, relatively new but not too cushy or designed for long distance travel. Which is appropriate, because Managua is only an hour or so away. These buses are also more capable of handling baggage than the crowded school buses, having space at the front where the conductor might normally sit. I recall the price being about $3 or $4 at most. Passengers wanting to go onward to Leon ought to express that in Granada. In our case, we were able to group with some other tourists and got dropped in Managua right near the bus going on to Leon. There was nothing dangerous about Managua that we could see in this transfer, so most of the $90 would have been wasted. Sorry, not photos of this service.

• Adventure Travel

Local bus to Masaya

by atufft Written Jan 23, 2013

Buses for Masaya and other local destinations

Masaya is a nearby city, so there's no need to be too formal or up class about how to get there. We took the old fashioned yellow school bus at very low price. Tourists are common but make up less than 10% of ridership, I would estimate. The buses leave regularly from a station that's a block La Merced iglesia, a couple of blocks in another direction from the Managua bound bus station, on the east side of town. The bus stops a several times in route, but takes no more than 30 minutes. No reservation needed. Destination is posted on the bus, so it's hard to go wrong. Price less than $1-.

• Safari

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Tica Bus From Granada to San José (Costa Rica)

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 5, 2011

Granada, La Calzada

Tica Bus and Transnica have a few daily buses from Nicaragua to Costa Rica. They leave Granada from two different bus terminals on Avenida Elena Arellano. Both have first class buses and offer about the same service. There is another company, King Quality, which seems to have a slightly better service but the price is almost double. After a little consideration I decided for Tica Bus. I was traveling on 29 December. In the time around Christmas and the New Year a lot of people travel so the buses get full quickly. I booked almost 10 days in advance at Tica Bus office. From Granada to San José it was 23 US $. To my surprise, most of the seats were already booked. Happy to have my bus ticket to Costa Rica safely in a pocket, I did not need to worry about this anymore.

I took a 7am bus which arrived from Managua with a little delay. All the passengers had to sign in at Tica Bus office before departure. We crossed the border of Nicaragua and Costa Rica at Peñas Blancas. That was quite an experience. First we stopped on Nicaraguan side and there were already a lot of buses. The driver took our passports and we had to wait until the border formalities were done. Locals were running around trying to change different currencies (US dollars, cordobas and colones), selling coffee and various snacks. There was also the toilet. I changed the remains of cordobas into colones and had a coffee. It took even longer on the side of Costa Rica. The line of people waiting to get their passports stamped looked endless, and there was another one for bag control.

All went fine and after almost three hours we were on the bus again heading to San José. The whole journey from Granada to San José should take about eight hours but we had about two hours delay and only arrived at 5pm. From the terminal I took a taxi to Hostel Pangea where I was going to overnight. Taxi driver was very friendly. I asked him if there was an ATM where I could withdraw some money that I needed and he stopped at the petrol station on the way to the hostel. For the taxi I paid 5.000 colones (December 2010).

• Hiring a driver

by reales1 Written Jul 14, 2011

We just recently returned from Granada and hired a driver to take us (family of 5) to the markets, the surrounding towns, Managua, the volcano and many more places. He is BY FAR the cheapest in town. He speaks very good English and is very professional. His contact info is ismaben3@yahoo.com.

• Hiring a Driver

by reales1 Written Jul 14, 2011

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Tica (not Nica) Bus Tickets to other Cities in CA

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 4, 2011

We bought Tica (not Nica) Bus Tickets at their shop in Granada for the following day. Good to buy a few days ahead as they sell quickly.

Tica Bus is the firstclass bus service in Central America. Yes, the buses are nice however there are a few things to be prepared for. The buses have air-conditioning on high so it is very cold. They play Disney movies on full blast so have ear plugs. They have no toilet paper in the washroom so bring some. Other than that Tica Bus is a great way to go. They do a lot for you at many of the border crossings too so that is a great help.

We paid to take the bus ride from Managua, Nicaragua to Guatemala City, Guatemala but the bus stops in San Salvador, El Salvador for a night. The cost for Managua to Guate was approx. $60US. The ride from Managua to San Salvador took approximately 12 hours.

To Pueblos Blancos and Laguna de Apoyo

by mircaskirca Updated Mar 11, 2011

in the bus from Laguna de Apoyo

One day Petra and I made a very nice trip from Granada to Pueblos Blancos and Laguna de Apoyo. We took a chicken bus that leaves from a block south of the market, across from the Shell station, and goes to San Juan de Oriente and Catarina. The bus was already full when we left. On the way it stopped on every corner so more and more people were coming in the bus. After about 40 minutes we arrived in San Juan de Oriente, a small village known for the production of pottery.

Another village that we wanted to visit was Catarina. We asked some local people about the bus. They told us it was very close so we decided to walk. Catarina is a little bigger than San Juan de Oriente. It is known for its green houses, but most of the people come here for the Mirador (viewpoint) which offers a spectacular view of Laguna de Apoyo. The viewpoint is just a short walk from the village. From there we went by a three wheel taxi to Laguna de Apoyo where we spent the rest of the day relaxing on the beach.

For going back we took a 4pm bus that runs from Laguna de Apoyo to Masaya, and got out at the main road that connects Managua (and Masaya) with Granada. We did not have to wait long until the bus to Granada arrived. The journey was short, it only took about 15 minutes. The bus stopped at the bus station near the old hospital (some 8 blocks west from Parque Central) from where we walked to the city centre.

From Granada to Masaya

by mircaskirca Updated Mar 1, 2011

chicken bus - old American school bus

It is easy to get from Granada to Masaya by bus. You can take any bus to Managua, they all stop in Masaya. The chicken bus (old American school buses, usually yellow which are very common in this part of the world) leaves from the bus station near the market, just around the corner from Palí supermarket. It makes several stops before leaving the town, also very close to Calle El Almendro where I was staying, which was very convenient for me.

Buses run frequently, from 5am to 6pm. They leave when they are full but usually you don't need to wait long. The journey takes a little more than 30 minutes and it was 10 cordobas (December 2010). The bus will drop you off in the massive bus lot behind the huge Mercado Municipal (Mercado Nuevo), a typical local market where you can get everything from live chickens to vegetables, toiletries, clothes and a wide selection of lower-quality handicrafts. The famous Mercado de Artesanías (Mercado Viejo) is a short walk from here.

Granada - Isla de Ometepe by Bus and Ferry

by mircaskirca Updated Feb 15, 2011

ferry terminal in San Jorge

There is a good bus connection between Granada and Rivas. Chicken buses leave from a block south of the market, across from the Shell station. I left my hotel at 5:30 in the morning with the intention to catch the earliest bus to Rivas. The first one only left at 6:30am so I had enough time to wander around the market which was becoming lively with people bringing large heaps of fruits and vegetables for sale.

The bus was rather full when we left. With many stops on the way, after 1,5 hours we finally arrived to the bus terminal in Rivas. It's a rather bustling terminal and it took a while until I found a taxi to San Jorge. The taxi driver dropped me off at the ferry terminal from where the ferries leave to Isla de Ometepe. There are two ports to land on Isla de Ometepe, Moyagalpa and San José del Sur. I took a 9:30am ferry to San José del Sur. The ticket was 50 córdobas (December 2010) and I bought it on board. The journey took one hour.

While I was having coffee in the bar at the ferry terminal a guy came to me asking if I needed a taxi from San José del Sur to my accommodation. He wanted 20 US $ which I found too expensive. Later on he came back telling me there was a small group of people (a family of four) that was going to do a day tour on the island. I could join them to Finca El Porvenir where I was staying and we agreed on the price of 10 US $. A visit of El Porvenir and the petroglyphes was on their itinerery anyway, they just did it at the beginning instead of at the end of the trip. To get there from San José del Sur was a pleasant one hour ride with the driver explaining things about the island. And it was very convenient for me to have a transportation right to the place.

• Sailing and Boating

Granada - Big Corn Island by Shuttle Van and Plane

by mircaskirca Updated Feb 6, 2011

landing on Big Corn Island

I needed to be at the airport at 5am to catch the 6:15am flight from Managua to Big Corn Island. I used Paxeos shuttle service on my arrival to Nicaragua (to get from Managua airport to Granada). Since I was very satisfied with their service I used them again. I arranged the transportation in their office at Parque Central next to the Catedral, one day prior my trip. It was 15 US $ (December 2010). The driver picked me up at 4am on Calle La Calzada, in front of Hospedaje Café Ruíz where I was staying.

The fastest and most convenient option to reach the Corn Islands is to take the plane. La Costeña has two daily flights from Managua to Big Corn Island, usually once in the morning and again in early to mid afternoon. The flight takes about 1,5 hours. Sometimes there is a short stop in Bluefields (in my case it was both times). You will be flying on either a 12 seat dual prop plane or the bigger plane with up to 46 seats. There is a weight limit for the plane so be careful about how much luggage you bring. They weight each passenger with their luggage before boarding.

La Costena has online booking (www.lacostena.com.ni). Alternatively, you can book in a travel agency at Parque Central in Granada. I heard about the cases that people with the ticket could not get on the plane because too many tickets were sold for the same flight. Boris from La Siesta suggested to get to the airport as soon as possible and try to purchase ticket there. Not all the passenger book in advance so in most cases there are a few places left. Just in case, a few days before my flight I also made a reservation via e-mail. The best person to contact is Julio Caballero who speaks perfect English. His e-mail address is: jcaballero@lacostena.com.ni. Though from my experience, they did not accept such reservation. But anyway, I could arrange everything right at the airport. The cost of a round trip ticket was 164 US $ with a tax (December 2010). They accept VISA, Mastercard and US dollars. I got an open return ticket. That means I could choose the return date as long as there was room on the plane.

On my return to Managua the driver from Paxeos was waiting for me at the airport. Shuttle van to Granada was 18 US $.

• Adventure Travel
    • Luxury Travel

Isla de Ometepe - Granada by Ferry and Car

by mircaskirca Updated Feb 5, 2011

from Isla de Ometepe to Granada with by car

On my hike back from Finca Magdalena I was offered a lift from a friendly American mother and son couple, Kate and David. I was quite exhausted from a long hike in the heat, so I excepted. They were looking for accommodation for a night. I told them about the beautiful Finca El Porvenir where I was staying so they came with me to have a look. They loved the place and were happy to stay. We had a lovely evening together. The next morning they were leaving to Granada (same as me) and they offered I could join them. I was more than happy with the transportation as I wanted to arrive in Granada as soon as possible, to be able to arrive in Leon in time.

We left Finca El Porvenir early in the morning and stopped for breakfast at Hotel Villa Paraiso in Playa Santo Domingo. Just a short ride from there is Ojo de Agua, two crystal-clear water pools surrounded by tropical forest. After having a refreshing dip we headed to Moyogalpa to catch the 11am ferry to San Jorge. It took one hour and it was 50 cordobas (December 2010). In Rivas we made a short break at Tip-Top (a fastfood chain of restaurants in Nicaragua, predominantly selling chicken). Ladies needed the toilet and David bought himself a quick lunch which he ate then in the car.

We arrived in Granada at 1:30pm. They brought me to Hospedaje Café Ruíz where I just changed my luggage. And at 2pm I was already on the bus to Managua with the connection to Leon.

• Sailing and Boating

From Managua Airport to Granada by Shuttle Van

by mircaskirca Updated Feb 4, 2011

Granada, La Calzada

Arriving to Managua airport late at night I thought I better arrange transportation to Granada in advance. I read several good reviews about Paxeos. The company offers reliable and comfortable transportation to and from the principle tourist destinations in Nicaragua and an airport pick ups. They have a fleet of vehicles (vans and minibuses) specially designed for the tourism industy. The company provides shared shuttles, private transfers and delivery of lost luggage. Paxeos serves all flights. In case your flight has a delay they will wait for you. Their office in Granada is conveniently located at Parque Central next to the Catedral.

I made a reservation through their website. From Managua airport to Granada it was 15 US $ (December 2010). But they did not charge my credit card at all. I could pay them in cash on my arrival otherwise they later charge the credit card. The service was very good. They met me at the exit with a big sign with my name on it. The driver was nice. He brought me to my destination, Hospedaje La Siesta. The trip was fast and certainly cheaper than a taxi.

During my trip in Nicaragua I used Paxeos two more times. I needed transportation from Granada to Managua airport to catch the early morning flight to Big Corn Island. The driver picked me up at 4am at Hospedaje Café Ruíz where I was staying. I booked directly in their office and (again) it was 15 US $). They also waited for me on the return. Surprisingly, this time the transportation from Managua airport to Granada was 18 US $.

• Luxury Travel

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

To Volcan masaya

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jan 13, 2011
    Waiting for bus in front of Masaya entrance.

If you go there by tour ,they'll bring you up to the crater.But if you go there by bus ,after get off from the bus ,there are 2 options to go up from the entrance to the crater .1. walk around 4 k.m through lava field without any shade.The slope of the path up is not that hard but the warning is THE HEAT IS INTENSE!!. 2. Hire a pick up truck from park ranger ,they charge 50 c.d per person to go up and down.You have to keep the receipt that you paid for 2 way ride well and show them on the way back because the driver could be different person.When you are ready to go back ,just tell one of the park ranger to call for the pick up.

Instant Answers: Granada

Comments

Granada Transportation

Reviews and photos of Granada transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Granada sightseeing.