León Transportation

• atufft's Profile Photo

Leon to/from Granada

by atufft Updated Feb 11, 2013

Van from Leon to Managua

Don't get fooled into believing the bus trip from Granada to Leon via Managua is difficult or dangerous. There are regular buses leaving both Leon and Granada destine for Managua. Since there are multiple stations in Managua, make sure the bus conductor knows of your plans. Usless you can't stand being crowded in a minivan for a couple hours trip, there's simply no need for Paxeos or private taxi when the price of travel is so cheap and easy. One of the best parts of arriving in Leon is riding the tricycle cab to your hotel. The young pedi-cab owner are capable of moving a lot of luggage and two passengers from the bus station of any hotel in the central part of Leon.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

From León to Las Peñitas

by mircaskirca Updated Aug 28, 2011

Le��n

Buses to the beaches of Poneloya and Las Peñitas leave from Subtiava Market in the western part of the city. Fortunately, I was staying in the vicinity so I could easily walk there. Otherwise, you can take a bus, taxi or walk, it's about 1,5 km from Parque Central. The Poneloya/Las Peñitas buses leave every 45 minutes, from 4:30am to 6pm. You might wait until the bus is full. It will be packed with people even standing in the aisle. There are no fixed stations so it will stop as soon as anyone wants to get on or off the bus. Expect the journey to take at least 40 minutes. The local bus is cheap (10 cordobas in December 2010) and money is collected by the conductor.
    The bus heads for Poneloya first and stop for 10 minutes in the bay at the end of the village. Then it turns around and goes back the same way it entered, making a right turn to Las Peñitas where the road ends. Since there are no fixed stops, you need to tell the driver where you want to get off.

We wanted to spend Christmas Day in Las Peñitas. But when we arrived to Subtiava Market there was already an endless queue of people waiting for the bus, and all the buses leaving to Poneloya/Las Peñitas were totally packed. It seemed like everybody wanted to go to the beach that day. So we decided to take a taxi instead. Even that wasn't easy. We have finally found one with three people (a family of locals) already sitting inside. But they said it was ok for them if we wanted to join. The driver charged us 100 cordobas which we found a good price. It only took us about 15 minutes to get to Las Peñitas. A few days later, in a quiet day in the middle of the week, I spent another day in Las Peñitas. This time I went by bus which was just fine, only it took a bit longer.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

From Granada to León

by mircaskirca Updated Aug 14, 2011

Le��n

There is no direct bus from Granada to León. You have to change it in Managua. Minibuses and large vans make the trip from Granada to Managua for 20 córdobas (December 2010). They leave Granada every 20 minutes starting at 6:30am. The trip lasts about an hour. Buses leave Ganada from Calle Vega, one block south of the Parque Central, and arrive at the UCA bus terminal in Managua (UCA = Universidad Centroamericana; the terminal is located across the street from the university).
    As soon as we approached the terminal, there were drivers calling 'León', 'Granada' etc, depending on where they were heading, so it was easy to find the right bus. The express minibus leaves as soon as all seats are taken so usually you don't need to wait long. But since it was December 24th (when many people travel) there was a long line of passengers waiting for the bus. Surprisingly, we did not need to wait very long as buses were coming and leaving all the time. After about 30 minutes I was on the bus to León. The journey took about 1,5 hours and it was 40 córdobas. You don't have to purchase a ticket in advance, just get it on the bus.
    At the bus terminal in León I took a taxi to hotel El sueño de Meme where I was going to meet my friend Petra. The taxi was 15 cordobas.

I returned to Granada on the same way: taxi from the city centre to the bus terminal, then bus to Managua and minibus to Granada.

To León from Pochomil

by MalenaN Written Mar 27, 2010

Mural in Le��n

The bus from Pochomil to Managua leaves not far from Hotel Alta Mar where I was staying. I went down to the bus stop, but there was still some time before the bus was leaving so I sat on the bus talking to the driver for a while. Before the bus had left Pochomil and Masachapa the bus was packed with people, but many of them went off in San Rafael del Sur. To Managua the bus ride took 1 hour 50 minutes and it was 22 cordobas (July 2009).

In Managua the bus stopped at terminal Mercado Israel Lewites. I knew there were buses for León leaving from the same terminal and I was happy that I didn’t have to take a taxi somewhere else. The driver from Pochomil told me I didn’t have to take one of the big slow buses as there were faster microbuses for León leaving from nearby. He told me to walk out to the main road and about 20 metres to my left I would find the microbuses. And so I did. I got the last seat and soon the microbus left. It took almost 1.5 hours to León and it was 40 cordobas. In León the bus stopped at the main terminal which is situated about 1km northeast of Parque Central and from there I walked to the hotel.

From León to Las Peñitas

by MalenaN Written Feb 6, 2010

House in Subtiava

A taxi within León was 15 cordobas (July 2009) so I took one from the hotel where I was staying to Subtiava Market. Subtiava Market is situated about 1,5 km from Parque Central in León, and it is from there the buses to Poneloya and Las Peñitas are leaving. I took the bus leaving at 9.10. It was 10 cordobas (0.50 cents) and it took about one hour. The buses normally take 40 minutes to reach Las Peñitas, but there was a lot of road construction along the road at the moment.

When the bus arrives to the coast it turns north and goes through Poneloya. At the end of the road it turns and goes back through Poneloya again, then it turns south to Las Peñitas. The road ends in Las Peñitas, just outside Barca de Oro. Some people only visit for the day and then it is good to know that the last bus returns to León at 18.40.

From León to Managua

by MalenaN Written Feb 6, 2010

Lion outside the cathedral

In León buses and microbuses to Managua leave from the main bus station , which is situated more than a kilometre northeast of Parque Central. I took a microbus, which left when full. The ride took 1 h 15 minutes and it was 40 cordobas (July 2009). In Managua the bus stopped at UCA (it also passed the Israel Lewites terminal).

In Managua I was going to Managua Backpackers Inn, which is only 1km away from where the bus stopped. I wanted to walk and had intended to follow the main road. I knew the direction, but asked a couple from the bus, just in case. They told me not too walk, it would be too dangerous, and they told me to take a taxi waiting just by the bus. So, I took the taxi and paid 30 cordobas for the ride.

Instant Answers: León

Comments

León Transportation

Reviews and photos of León transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for León sightseeing.