Safety Tips in Departamento de Masaya

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Departamento de Masaya

• trek06's Profile Photo

Scary Cab ride early morning from Masaya!

by trek06 Updated Apr 6, 2006

Worthy of a campfire story: In Masaya, we planned with a local cab to get picked up from the hotel at 05:00am to catch an early flight out of Managua. Our hotel owner was extremely nice and got up early to let us out. He then told us forget your prebooked cab, it won't happen and whistled for a cab. A cabby half a block away screeched to a halt and backed up. I did the quick check on a rear door lock and we were off. mmm should of checked both doors, no latch on the drivers side. On the way to Managua, after avoiding pedestrians and animals in the dark, the cab driver pulled into a small villiage and went down several back alleys (rubble rock road) mumbling something about his hemanos (brothers), who I didn't want to meet, making me extremely uncomfortable.
    One of these alleys ended in a dead end with high cement walls and large dogs barking and a mound of rock blocking the road. I mentioned to my daughter that "this doesn't look good". But our driver then found the highway again and we could see the lights of Managua. mmm, you just have to trust people! He was only looking for a short cut.
    Although the scene in the back alley of some small villiage In Nicaragua could have been the scene of a great horror movie, it was in fact just a back alley after all.
    I guess you had to be there!

Instant Answers: Departamento de Masaya

Comments

Departamento de Masaya Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Departamento de Masaya warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Departamento de Masaya sightseeing.
Map of Departamento de Masaya