Isla de Ometepe Restaurants

Volcan Concepcion.
    by rosequartzlover1
    El Natural
    by mircaskirca
  • in the kitchen - owners making food and juice
    in the kitchen - owners making food and...
    by mircaskirca

Most Recent Restaurants in Isla de Ometepe

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Iztian hotel,restaurant: Simple but nice restaurant

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jul 2, 2014

After Maderas hiking for all day.It took me totally 9 hours ..and arrived back at the hotel a little bit before sunset .I felt very exhausted ..hungry and very thirsty..I immediately go to the hotel staff which do everything ,..check in ,cooking and serving.I told them I need my dinner now and already order the food.I know it will take time (long time) to wait for our food.So I just go back to my room ,take a good shower..umm...heaven.After that I took the rest at the only corridor upstairs..on the hammock ,seeing people go by.I saw Carlos so I asked him to join some drink with us at the corridor and because of the impressive hiking trip together,I gave him some extra tip.He was happy.My mate went down to restaurant to drink some more beer and chat with other people.I still need to relax more and tell them to call me when the food finish.It's a small place so we can hear almost everything.After 1 hour past..everybody downstairs called my name and sais "the food finished". It felt like home ..,like when mom call us to eat ,felt the same : ) I ordered fried fish same as yesterday but today I got 2 big fishs !! Serprised.. ! I guess this can be the compensate of the case that my guide wasn't showed up and they had to put us all together with Carlos but it turned out to be the very happy hike with the very good guide.. "Carlos"
    Sorry about the picture..I was too hungry so I just jumped on the food and forgot to take any picture.The fish was really big ,if in normal situation I won't be able to finish them ,but that day I ate all.They served with some small salad and rice and some fried platain..I was good.I forgot what my mate had ,probably fried chicken.
    The total cost for dinner for 2 person with all drinks( about 6 drinks) was 270 cd. (10 us dollars)

Volcan Concepcion.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Albergue Ecológico El Porvenir: Tasty Meals with a Great View of Vulcán Concepción

by mircaskirca Updated May 30, 2011

I was staying at Albergue Ecológico El Porvenir and also had several meals there. During the day I was usually away, but in the morning it was very convenient to have breakfast before starting daily activities. The food was served on two separate terraces under thatched roofs, surrounded by lush tropical garden and with splendid views of the Vulcán Concepción. On each terrace are a few rustic tables and chairs (both made of tree brances, very beautiful), and hammocks. After the meal I normally moved into hammock to relax and have a coffee or beer, soaking up the magnificent scenery.

I had two breakfasts here. The first one consisted of banana pancakes with honey, lemonade and coffee, while the other day I opted for fruit pancakes with honey, pineaple juice and coffee. After arrival at El Porvenir the first day I was rather tired from the long journey so I decided to take it easy, have lunch and then slowly get use to the new environment. The lunch was really good, two fresh trouts from the lake with carrot, red pepper and cooked potatoes. I rinsed it with a cold Victoria beer and had a good cup of organic coffee after the meal. At the evening I was not particularly hungry so I only had a portion of tostones with white cheese ontop, and slices of fresh tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce. The light dinner was accompanied with another Victoria beer.

All in all, tasty meals at reasonable price and quick and friendly service in a very pleasant surroundings.

more pics in the travelogue

pancakes with banana&honey, lemon juice and coffee trout with vegetables and Victoria beer patacones con queso blanco lovely dining area with view of Volc��n Concepci��n great view of Vulc��n Concepci��n
    • Farm Stay

El Encanto: True Culinary Experience in Peaceful Surroundings

by mircaskirca Updated May 16, 2011

El Canto is an experimental finca (farm) with social, agricultural and tourism projects, located in the community of Santa Cruz, a short walk from the main road. The exceptional location allows you to enjoy some of the most beautiful views on the island. Several petroglyphs are found on the property. The main building is surrounded by lush tropical gardens with flowers that attract thousands of butterflies, hummingbirds and various other species of birds. They offer simple but colourful rooms with private bathrooms. There is a wide and breezy veranda with hammocks and rocking chairs, and the view of Vulcán Concepción.

But the main reason of my visit of El Canto was to have lunch in their restaurant which was supposed to be very good. A peaceful open air restaurant is surrounded by tropical fruit trees (mango, papaya, guava, guanábana) and has a gorgeous view to the lake, volcano and a vegetable garden which supplies cucumber, climbing spinach, zucchini, as well as fresh herbs like basil, lemon grass and chili. You also find a pineapple plantation.

There is a great variety of breakfasts to choose from, all of them including a fruit plate and a choice of brewed coffee, tea or a fruit drink. They bake whole wheat bread and cakes, and make their own yogurt. The lunch and dinner menu includes chicken, meat, fish and surprisingly lots of interesting vegetarian dishes. They make traditional island dishes with a touch of cooking style from the countries such as Thailand, India and Italy, with local ingredients. Lots of vegetables come from their garden. Some of their specialities are eggplant baked with cheese and tomato sauce, fish steamed in banana leaves and fish cooked in coconut cream with curry and spice sauce.

Favorite Dish: I had a glass of mango juice first and then started the lunch with a mixed salad (cucumber, tomato, pepper, carrot, beetroot and basil leaves). For the main dish I had lake fish steak cooked in coconut cream with curry and spice sauce. It was served with rice (also produced in their land). Fresh ingredients were reflected in the food, giving it a natural flavour and aroma. It was a very delicious meal, prepared with care and attention to detail. True culinary experience!

lake fish in a curry and spice sauce with rice mixed salad from fresh ingredients from the garden mixed salad and mango juice view of the Volcan�� Concepci��n view of the lake
    • Farm Stay

Natural: Delicious Vegetarian Curries & Healthy Breakfasts

by mircaskirca Updated May 16, 2011

I heard about Natural from my guidebook and decided to give it a try one day when I was cycling back from Ojo de Agua to El Porvenir. Conveniently located right at the entrance to Santo Domingo, it was actually a perfect place for a late lunch. A charming little vegetarian restaurant literary on the lake (when I visited the water level was very high due to a lot of rain in the past months, so there was no beach at all) and with Vulcán Maderas looming in the beckground, it's an airy shack made of wood, with a thatched roof and two side walls. I fell in love with the ambience at first sight. There is a simple kitchen on one side (they use clay pots for cooking) and a few wooden chairs and tables with a lake view on the other side. The walls are tastefully decorated with small paintings and photos, one big naive painting showing a typical fruit and vegetable market, and one part with little crosses and holy pictures. I loved the little details and the way how fruits and vegetables were placed as a part of the decoration.

Natural specializes on vegetarian curries, healthy breakfasts (with daily fresh wholemeal bread) and delicious organic fruit juices. Looking at the menu, it was not easy to choose among so many yummy dishes.

Very appealing decor, great service, friendly owners couple and food prepared with great attention to detail, just perfect! On my last day I wanted to try their breakfast. But to my great disappointment, the place was closed. The owners were off to the mainland to celebrate Christmas with their family.

Favorite Dish: After a little consideration I opted for vegetarian curry which was a speciality of the house. It was made up of different veggies (including the whole banana with its peel on while cooking) and fresh spices crushed by hand in a stone mortar. Oh, pure delight!! It was most delicious curries I've ever tasted!! I had a big glass of yummy organic juice (mix fruits) with the food, and thought I was in heaven :)

most delicious vegetarian curry in the kitchen - owners making food and juice tropical fruits (and potatoes) decoration El Natural
    • Beaches

Villa Paraíso: Great Breakfast in Breezy Waterfront Restaurant

by mircaskirca Updated May 15, 2011

On my last day on the island I met a friendly American mother and son couple, Kate and David. The next morning they were also leaving for Granada and I was offered to join them. We left El Porvenir early and made a stop for breakfast in Playa Santo Domingo. I told them about the restaurant Natural. Unfortunately it was closed so we ended up in the restaurant of hotel Villa Paraíso, one of the fanciest hotels on the island. It offers pleasantly rustic rooms and private cabañas in natural setting overlooking the beach. The breezy waterfront restaurant is set in a beautiful peaceful surroundings. Auraca birds are everywhere. They can easily steal food from your plate so watch out.

The assorted menu includes a variety of traditional Nicaraguan dishes and exquisite international cuisine. In addition, they make different cocktails, including Macuá, a national drink of Nicaragua which is a blend of rum and fruit juices (usually lemon and guava juice).

Favorite Dish: Kate and David had traditional Nica breakfast which consisted of eggs, cheese and gallo pinto (rice and beans), served with bread, while I opted for pancakes with fruit (pineapple, papaya, watermelon) and honey. The breakfast wouldn’t be completed without a glass of freshly made orange juice and a good cup of Nicaraguan coffee. Great breakfast! We were then ready for the journey.

pancakes with fruits & honey, orange juice, coffee gallo pinto, eggs and cheese David and Kate enjoying breakfast dining area of Villa Para��so auraca birds everywhere
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beaches

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Lunch at Hacienda Mérida

by MalenaN Updated Jan 15, 2010

Hacienda Mérida is a backpackers place with several rooms and also camping possibilities. They have bikes and kayaks for rent and organise different tours. It is situated by the lake, in Mérida, on the Maderas side of the island.

I came her on bike, and as it was time for lunch I decided to eat. I had chicken, homemade crisps, rice and salad. To drink I had a papaya drink. It all tasted very good! The price was 110 cordobas, the same as 5.5 dollars (July 2009).

All my other meals on Isla de Ometepe I ate at either Finca Playa Venecia or Albergue Ecológico El Porvenir.

Great lunch

• Beast's Profile Photo

El Castillo: Food in Altagracia

by Beast Written Jun 10, 2009

Can't really describe where this is other then centrally in town. Any taxi will know. Its a clean and well run restaurant. Food is good and inexpensive.

Favorite Dish: Fish from the lake, grilled. Yeah. Toña goes really well with it.

• Rafting
    • Kayaking
    • Adventure Travel

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Ojo de Agua: Meals in a great environment

by Pieter11 Written Mar 20, 2008

In the garden surrounding the Ojo de Agua in Santo Domingo, you can have good meals for little money, and enjoy the great environment at the same time. The "restaurant" is nothing more then some seats around the pool and a very, very small hut where the food is prepared.

If you look at the menu you will be surprised that they offer so many things at such a small place, but no matter what you order, they will make it for you. We had a big plate of chips and a big tortilla with fresh ingredients, and both dishes were very nice. Prices for the dishes are between 1,50 and 4 dollar: so really cheap.

And of course: the best thing here remains the great surroundings...

A big tortilla at the Ojo de Agua

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Hotel Central - Altagracia: Good and cheap local meals

by Pieter11 Written Mar 20, 2008

In Altagracia you can have a very good meal at the Hotel Central, just two blocks southeast from the Parque Central. In the evening the small restaurant that belongs to this hotel opens, and offers good and simple local meals for a very good price: only 2 to 4 dollars per person.

The meals normally include fried bananas, rice with beans and fried chicken or fish. Especially when you are in the region for a longer time, this typical meal starts to annoy you at a certain moment, but when you haven't reached that point yet it is a very good option!

After your dinner you can also still have a drink here, until the moment that the waiter wants to go to bed and kindly asks you to finish your drink and go home.

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Hotel villa Paraiso

by paradisedreamer Written Jul 25, 2005

Once you are at the resort there aren’t really any other restaurants close by. Luckily the food is good, they do great breakfasts and the dinner portions are large.

Instant Answers: Isla de Ometepe

Comments

Isla de Ometepe Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isla de Ometepe restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Ometepe sightseeing.

View all Isla de Ometepe hotels