Isla de Ometepe Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Isla de Ometepe

Granada - Isla de Ometepe by Bus and Ferry

by mircaskirca Written Apr 25, 2011

There is a good bus connection between Granada and Rivas. Chicken buses leave from a block south of the market, across from the Shell station. I left my hotel at 5:30 in the morning with the intention to catch the earliest bus to Rivas. The first one only left at 6:30am so I had enough time to wander around the market which was becoming lively with people bringing large heaps of fruits and vegetables for sale.

The bus was rather full when we left. With many stops on the way, after 1,5 hours we finally arrived to the bus terminal in Rivas. It's a rather bustling terminal and it took a while until I found a taxi to San Jorge. The taxi driver dropped me off at the ferry terminal from where the ferries leave to Isla de Ometepe. There are two ports to land on Isla de Ometepe, Moyagalpa and San José del Sur. I took a 9:30am ferry to San José del Sur. The ticket was 50 córdobas (December 2010) and I bought it on board. The journey took one hour.

on the ferry with volc��n Concepci��n in front ferry boat captain ferry terminal in San Jorge

• trek06's Profile Photo

Ferry from Granada

by trek06 Updated Apr 14, 2006

This is the ferry from Granada which takes about 3.5 hours. When you land be prepared for some high pressure pitches for places to stay, rides etc. Although I enjoyed the trip from Granada (despite the rain) we returned via the ferry from the other side of Ometepe to San Jorge which is only about 45 minutes. There were also a couple of heavy armed soliders boarding as we were getting off with Ak47's? I loved the ride we caught to our hotel. This is definetly a jungle island. Mud, bananas and the odd large sow (pig) enjoying a bath in the middle of the road. If you want to get away from it all , you made it!

Ferry to Ometepe
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Colectivo Taxi to Finca El Porvenir

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 25, 2011

While I was having coffee in the bar next to the ferry terminal a guy came to me asking if I needed a taxi from San José del Sur to my accommodation. He wanted 20 US $ which I found too expensive. I intended to wait for the bus instead. Later on he came back telling me there was a small group of people (a family of four) that was going to do a day tour on the island. I could join them to Finca El Porvenir where I was staying and we agreed on the price of 10 US $. A visit of El Porvenir and the petroglyphes was on their itinerery anyway, they just did it at the beginning instead of at the end of their tour.

To get from San José del Sur to Finca El Porvenir it was a pleasant one hour ride. On the way the driver explained things about the island and he told us some interesting stories. And it was very convenient to have a transportation right to the place where I was staying. Actually, I was quite lucky :)

To Isla de Ometepe from San Juan del Sur

by MalenaN Written Jan 5, 2010

Buses leave San Juan del Sur about every half an hour for Rivas. The bus ride takes 45 minutes and cost 15 cordobas (July 2009). At the bus station in Rivas I asked for a bus to San Jorge, from where the ferries leave for Isla de Ometepe, and was told that there are minibuses passing on the street. Before I had time to cross the street a taxi driver told me he could take me to the port for 40 cordobas.

I took the taxi from Rivas to San Jorge and as I went into the car a friend of the taxi driver also went into the car. As the taxi left the station two men shouted ”take care”. Soon after the friend of the taxi driver took out a big tool. Having read in the newspaper only the previous day about fake taxi drivers robbing their customers in another Nicaraguan city I felt that this might be very bad, so when the car turned in a direction I thought was wrong I said that this is not good. The taxi driver assured me it was the right way and soon after his friend left. Arriving at the port of San Jorge I told the taxi drivers what I had read about taxis in Nicaragua and he just laughed and said that this is not Managua.

From San Jorge to Isla de Ometepe there are several boats per day. The ferry (bigger boat) only leaves twice a day, but the lancha (smaller boat) leaves more often. At the port I paid the admission of 10 cordobas (July 2009) and then sat down in the waiting hall for a while. The lancha was a little late arriving from Isla de Ometepe so we didn’t depart on time. When it was time to board the boat everyone tried to get on at once so for some time it was a bit chaotic. But soon everyone had taken a seat and we left. The tickets were sold on board and it was 30 cordobas. The boat ride took one hour. It was a bit wavy but not rough.

The boat stops in Moyogalpa, a small town on the western side of Isla de Ometepe. Here I arranged for a hike to Volcán Concepión and went to the supermarket to buy water and snacks. Then I bought an ice cream at Eskimos and sat down at the pavement waiting for the next bus. While I was waiting a pickup from Hotel Finca Playa Venecia (where I was going) stopped and said I could go with them, they were only picking up a couple of tourists arriving with the next lancha, which were arriving soon.

In the lancha The lancha is arriving to San Jorge Waiting in San Jorge In San Jorge

Isla de Ometepe - Granada by Ferry and Car

by mircaskirca Updated May 15, 2011

On a hike back from Finca Magdalena I was offered a lift from a friendly American mother and son couple, Kate and David. Being quite exhausted from a long hike in the heat I excepted. They were looking for accommodation for a night. I told them about the beautiful Finca El Porvenir where I was staying so they came with me to have a look. They loved the place and were happy to stay. We had a lovely evening together. The next morning they were leaving for Granada (same as me) and they offered I could join them. I was more than happy with the transportation as I wanted to arrive in Granada as soon as possible, to be able to arrive in Leon in time.

We left Finca El Porvenir early in the morning and stopped for breakfast at Hotel Villa Paraiso in Playa Santo Domingo. Just a short ride from there is Ojo de Agua, two crystal-clear water pools surrounded by tropical forest. After having a refreshing dip we headed to Moyogalpa to catch the 11am ferry to San Jorge. It took one hour and it was 50 cordobas (December 2010). In Rivas we made a short break at Tip-Top (a fastfood chain of restaurants in Nicaragua, predominantly selling chicken). Ladies needed the toilet and David bought himself a quick lunch which he ate then in the car.

We arrived in Granada at 1:30pm. They brought me to Hospedaje Café Ruíz where I just changed my luggage. And at 2pm I was already on the bus to Managua with the connection to Leon.

ferry from Moyagalpa to San Jorge leaving the ferry terminal in Moyagalpa David driving the car

• vicky_cannae's Profile Photo

hell of a ride!!

by vicky_cannae Written May 11, 2003

It took us almost a day to get there, wa came from San Juan del Sur and took the bus to Rivas, there you have to take another bus to San Jorge...there you have to wait some time untill the ships departs and it's another 2 hours to get on the island!!Then we took a bus for another 4 hours...There are almost no roads on the island and during the exhausting ride some chickens of a local landed on our lap.....

a picture taken during the bustrip

• Linnea13's Profile Photo

Buses around Ometepe

by Linnea13 Written Jan 1, 2005

Travel around the island is not for the light-hearted. The buses are crowded, and I mean OVER-crowded. It is hot, and any trip is going to be lengthy. The roads are awful, featuring construction work every kilometer or so, which forces the 1940´s American school bus full of people off onto dirt detours filled with potholes.

It can be fun, but prepare yourself!

From Isla de Ometepe to Granada

by MalenaN Updated Feb 1, 2010

There are a few direct buses every day departing from Merida going to Moyogalpa. I took the bus passing El Porvenir just after 9am. A woman waiting for the same bus as I told me that the lancha/ferry in Moyogalpa usually waited if the bus was late. From El Porvenir to Moyogalpa it took 2 hours and it was 20 cordobas (July 2009). In Moyogalpa the bus stopped just by the ferry terminal.

The lancha (small boat) left on time 11.30 for San Jorge on the mainland. The boat journey took 1 hour and the ticket was 30 cordobas (1.50 dollars). From San Jorge I shared taxi with two other persons and we paid 20 cordobas each to go to the bus terminal in Rivas. The taxi would have been 20 cordobas each even if we had been two passengers.

In Rivas I waited more than half an hour for the bus to Granada. The terminal is busy and you will find lots of food, snacks and drinks to buy and people to watch while you are waiting. The bus to Granada was one of those repainted old American school buses, so common in Nicaragua. To Granada it took 1.5 hours and the ticket was 24 cordobas. In Granada the bus stopped one block south of Mercado Muncipal.

Twice a week there is a ferry going to Granada from Altagracia. It takes 4 hours.

The main road to Balg��e (left ) and Merida (right)

The ferry from San Jorge

by Pieter11 Written Mar 16, 2008

The fastest and easiest way to get to Isla de Ometepe is by taking the ferry in the harbour of San Jorge, close to Rivas. To get here, you will have to take a taxi from the busstation in Rivas. The taxi will take you to the harbour in about 10-15 minutes and costs about 2 dollars.

At the harbour of San Jorge boats to Isla de Ometepe departs all day long, every hour. Some of these boats are big enough to carry cars on board, but most of them are a lot smaller and only take passengers, and all kinds of supplies you can think of: vegetables, drinks, but also timber, engines and a lot more. Somewhere in between of all this you have to find a place to sit.

You only need to pay for your place on the boat when you're already on the boat, ready for departing. At ticket for the trip that takes around 45 minutes costs about 2 dollar. From the deck you have a great view of the island, and all the time you see the two volcanoes of "Ome" getting bigger and bigger.

And in the end the boat arrives in the small, colourful harbour of Moyagalpa; the biggest town of the island.

A boat on the way from Moyagalpa to San Jorge On the deck of the boat The view from the boat to Ometepe The view from the boat to Ometepe The view from the boat to Ometepe

From Ometepe to San Carlos by boat

by Pieter11 Written Mar 17, 2008

One of the most spectacular regions in Nicaragua definitely is the southeast of the country. The only problem is that this area is very difficult to reach. You can get there by bus from Granada, but then it will take you a full day. Another great way to reach this part of the country is by boat. This boat departs a few times a week from Granada, but it also stops in Altagracia on Isla de Ometepe.

Every week on Mondays and Thursday, around 18:00 h, the cargoboat arrives in the harbour of Altagracia. At the ticketoffice you can buy a -very cheap- ticket for this boat, and 10 hours later you'll arrive in the city San Carlos, at the other side of the Lago de Nicaragua. A ticket for this trip (in First Class) costs 4 dollars. For this money you can a seat on a wooden bench with a thin pillow on it, instead of the solid wooden bench that you can get for only 2,50 dollars in Second Class.

Because the boat travels only in the dark you hardly see anything of the environment, but the trip still is something special. Inside the boat you can try to have a sleep or watch one of the stupid movies they play. But outside on the deck you can enjoy the silence at night, the fresh breeze and the pleasing sound of the water beneath you.

The other way, from San Carlos to Altagracia, the boats depart on Tuesdays and Fridays. Boats from Altagracia to Granada depart on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and boats from Granada to Altagracia leave the harbour on Mondays and Thursday around 14:00.

The boat to San Carlos arriving in Altagracia The boat to San Carlos arriving in Altagracia The cargo on board of the boat At Altagracia's harbour
    • Cruise

Getting around with bus

by MalenaN Written Feb 5, 2010

July 2009 only the southern road between Moyogalpa and Altagracia was paved, all other roads on Isla de Ometepe were rough dirt roads.

Between Moyogalpa and Altagracia the buses run every hour and the ride takes one hour (along the southern paved road). To other destinations buses are less frequent. There are more buses to Merida and Balgüe from Altagracia than from Moyogalpa, so if there are no direct bus you can go off in Las Esquinas and wait for a connection there.

The day I had been checking out El Porvenir and was going back to Playa Venecia I started to walk along the road. Shortly after Santa Cruz a minibus passed me and this might have been a public transportation, but I don’t know. Anyway I walk for almost 1.5 hours until another bus came.

Playa Venecia - Altagracia was 10 cordobas.
    Altagracia - El Porvenir was 10 cordobas.
    El Porvenir - Moyogalpa was 20 cordobas (1 dollar).

Waiting for a bus in Las Esquinas

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Ferry

by paradisedreamer Written Jul 25, 2005

The boats leave for Moyogalpa on Ometepe at San Jorge.
    We were told that the large car ferry was not going at 10:30 as it was being repaired. We ended up going on a smaller boat but this was a huge mistake, you can read my travelogue on my Nicaragua page for the whole story

Moyagalpa to Altagracia by bus

by Pieter11 Written Mar 16, 2008

The best way to get around on Isla de Ometepe is by the busservices that operate on the island. The most frequent one is the connection between the two biggest towns: Altagracia and Moyogalpa. This bus goes every hour and takes about an hour to get there. The trip costs only a few cents.

The trip over the island is a great one. All around you see the unspoiled forest, some small villages here and there, and at your lefthand side there always is the mightly Volcán Conceptión.

Other busconnections are towards the other part of the island: Balgüe, Merida, or to San Marcos at the northside. At these busses only operate several times a day, so ask for the times before you start waiting for a bus!

A bus at the banks of Lago de Nicaragua Eating some corn in the bus to Altagracia

• Spacemanspiff's Profile Photo

Ferry from Granada to Isla De Ometepe

by Spacemanspiff Updated Nov 13, 2010

The Ferry runs twice a week. We took the 2 PM ferry on thursday for 90 Cordobas (about $4.50 each). Comfortable air conditioned seating area on the upper deck with great view coming into the island. cheap eats from the downstairs galley. Arrived just after sunset September 9th. We took one of only two available taxis, a seven passenger Toyota minivan with eleven passengers inside and I found out there were 3 more people on the roof/luggage rack after the van broke down just short of Altagracia. We all walked the remaining distance in the dark. A good bonding experience with our fellow shipmates/taxi mates. The ferry makes several other stops beyond Altagracia and returns to Granada in the wee hours.

• Cruise

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Getting to Finca Magalena (or Isla Ometepe)

by darthmilmo Written Sep 24, 2002

The farry from Granada to Isla Ometepe doesn't operate every day all year long so if you can't get to there that way, you'll have to be creative. From Granada, take a bus to Rivas, and from there, a taxi to the harbor at San Jorge to grab a boat to Mayagalpa at the Isla Omotepe. From Mayagalpa, we took another bus to Finca Magdalena (ask to be dropped of at the "finca"). The bus dropped us at the town at Balgue. From there, it was a 30-minute walk to the Finca Magdalena (just follow the signs). We barely made it to the Finca, but in the end it was well worth the walk.

Instant Answers: Isla de Ometepe

Comments

Isla de Ometepe Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla de Ometepe transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Ometepe sightseeing.

View all Isla de Ometepe hotels