Bluefields Travel Guide

Get a load of these beach rocks!:)
    Claudette at El Bluff
    El Bluff

Bluefields Restaurants

• ReinaMorena's Profile Photo
    Great eats! 2 more images

by ReinaMorena Updated Feb 2, 2007

This food stand out side the national flights terminal, next to the taxi stand is Great. They have a variety of food and refreshments that are delicious and wont dent the budget.

Favorite Dish: The dish we ordered had carne(pork I think), yuca (a root similar to potatoes) and another side, all came to about 2.50 cordobas (17crds to the $1usd). And Gatorade was about .30 crds. There was a lot of food and we were able to share it well enough. Try it... everybody that worked there was friendly and helpfull. They understood english well enough if not really brave enough to talk to long. Muy simpatico!

• Work Abroad

Bluefields Transportation

• metteks's Profile Photo
    A ship like the one I sailed on

by metteks Written Dec 9, 2005

I went to Corn Island by boat. This was a really bad decision, and the worst experience on the whole trip.

First I took the bus from Managua late at night. First bad choice, because even though it was a night bus it was just like the busses running at day, and the roads where really bad. In stead of driving around the holes in the road, he tried to drive around the little pieces of asphalt still on the road. I couldn?t sleep, the ride was so bumpy. But I was so tired and every time I dozed of I hammered my head in to the person sitting next to me.

We arrived in Rama the next day. Here the road stopped, and we had to continue on a boat on the river. This boat left around noon, and it was a nice and relaxing trip. The locals brought with them huge baskets of things, and inland there were small huts and waving naked kids.

We arrived at Bluefields in the afternoon. Here I had to spend the night. I met a local guy on the boat, also going to Corn Island. He knew a hostel, where we could sleep. The hostel was very bad; the room smelled of mice, was damp and the sheets weren?t clean. The bathroom was concrete, no lock on the door, wet and damp.
    The town it self was not nice, I felt insecure. The men were drunk, very black and scary to look at. I didn?t want to go out to eat so I went to bed without dinner.

The next morning we got up early, without breakfast. We went to the harbor, where we were told that the boat didn?t go that day. Instead we found a private boat that had to go to Corn Island. The boat weren?t big, and we had to hide inside on the way out of the harbor, so the authorities didn?t see us. When we hit open sea the weather was bad and windy. Everybody got seasick and some of the local women prayed for hours. Some of the locals lay on the wet deck vomiting. I didn?t get sick that much, because I had taken medicine.

The waves splashed over the boat and the cargo moved. A car on the deck even moved sideways. After 8 horrible hours we finally arrived. I was so happy when I sat my foot on land.

Bluefields Off The Beaten Path

• ReinaMorena's Profile Photo
    El Bluff 3 more images

by ReinaMorena Written Sep 27, 2006

The Island El Bluff is right of the shore of the City of Bluefields. We were looking to take a short boat trip or day cruise but couldnt find one in our price range when we got to the dock. One of the boat owners offered to take us to El Bluff to spend a couple of hours and they would wait for us and bring us back and we didnt have to pay until we returned to Bluefields (that was how the children from the island got back and forth to school). The boat driver did however ask us to give him some money for lunch once we got to the Island and the Owner did lower our price to match what we paid out without hassle. There were people at the Bluff that were willing to show us around for a small fee but we just choose to walk around ourselves and they pointed us in the way of the beach area (we did buy a coconut from the man though). We took our time strooling the island, greeting the people, took some polaroids and gave them to the kids etc...End the end we had a nice little side adventure that is definately worth checking out. There isnt alot to see on El Bluff but everything is worth a long look! More details and pics in my Travelogue...coming soon!

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Bluefields

Comments

Bluefields Travel Guide
Map of Bluefields