Unique Places in Provincia del Darién

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Provincia del Darién

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Treking to Colombia

by darthmilmo Written Feb 25, 2003

I wouldn't recommend it anytime soon. The border region is really dangerous with many Colombian guerilla and paramilitary infiltrating the region.

I would think about this trek twice before embarking. If you do chose to do this trek, make sure you contact Patricia Upton, who is very knowledgable on the region and has a guidebook that details the trek.

You have to travel light! It is essential to be able to go on the run. Some other essentials include first aid kit, water treatment, mosquito net, and others. I'll try to come with a full list later, if I don't post it email me and I can let you know what I took.

I didn't complete the trek, didn't even made it to the half way mark so this is still a dream of mine, one that I hope I can make in my lifetime.

• Hiking and Walking

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Minas de Cana

by darthmilmo Written Feb 25, 2003

This trek has it all! It's Indiana Jones meets Rambo. The mines of Cana are a set of old abandoned mines that have been taken over by the jungle. There is a luxurius lodge one can fly to for a visit of the area (costs an arm an a leg, or about $1000 USD). For those trying to save money, head to the INRENARE Darien National Park, park ranger's office at el Real (from Panama City, take a bus to Meteti, a chiva to Yuviza, and a boat ride to el Real). They can help you organize the trek with a guide. You have to travel light! Expect about 6 days to get there and 6 back.

• Hiking and Walking

Top Provincia del Darién Hotels

Boca de Sábalo Hotels
3 Reviews - 16 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincia del Darién

Comments

Provincia del Darién Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Provincia del Darién off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincia del Darién sightseeing.
Map of Provincia del Darién