Fajardo Travel Guide

• Best attempt at photographing the bioluminescence
    Best attempt at photographing the...
    Pirate-themed park in Las Croabas
  • Things to Do

Fajardo Things to Do

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

by xoxoxenophile Written Aug 21, 2014

The bio bay is probably one of the main reasons to visit Fajardo. There are multiple companies that give the tours, but they are all more or less the same, charging $45-50/person, giving guided tours in double kayaks, and having some snacks and refreshments at the end. You paddle through a channel bordered by mangroves and then out into the bioluminescent lagoon. Each company generally offers two tours a night--one around 5:00 or 6:00 (dusk) and another a little later, 7:00 or 8:00. We showed up too late to get into a dusk tour, so we ate and did a little shopping, then took a nap in our car until 8pm. We'd actually planned on going on a later tour because we figured you could see the bioluminescence better the darker it is. However, if we did it again we'd like to try an earlier one, because it would probably be really cool to see the mangroves better as well, and it would probably still be dark enough by the time you got to the lagoon. The experience is really amazing--when you paddle in the water or disturb it with your hands, it glows sort of a hazy blue. It's extremely hard to photograph--something that needs to be experienced, and definitely a unique thing to do while in Puerto Rico!

Best attempt at photographing the bioluminescence Kayaking
    • Kayaking
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• alexisa's Profile Photo

by alexisa Updated Jul 20, 2007

AT LAS Croabas, go in the evening to any of the companies that have the kayaks. They are all the same price, around $40 and give you the info about the bioluminiscent bay and lead the way to the kayak adventure through the mangroves and darkness of the night to discover one of the wonders of the world the dinoflagelates microorganism that make the water glitter. Enjoy. Call Encantada tours as one of many companies that are here. You don't have to make reservations eventhough is a good idea because the companies are there until midnight

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• by ILOVEPUERTORICO Written Nov 24, 2004

THEY ARE MANY PLACES TO VISIT IN FAJARDO BUT NOT ALL OF THEM ARE SALE TO TOURISTS FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER. WELL IF YOU WANT TO EAT THE BEST SEEFOOD IN TOWN GO TO LAS CROABAS NEAR TO 7 SEAS PUBLIC BEACH, THEY ARE MANY RESTAURANTS. 7 SEAS IS A GREAT BEACH WHERE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE 7 DIFFERENT TONES OF BLUE IN THE WATER AND IS A GOOD PLACE TO DO DIVING. FROM FAJARDO'S PORT YOU CAN TAKE A FERRY RIDE TO VIEQUES OR CULEBRA ISLAND OR TAKE A FLIGHT FROM FAJARDO'S AIRPORT. FAJARDO'S DOWNTOWN IS A BEUTIFULL PLACE TO VISIT. THESE ARE SOME OF THE PLACES THAT I LIKE TO VISIT WHEN I GO TO FAJARDO PR.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Fajardo Hotels

Fajardo Restaurants

• by jamidwyer Written Dec 25, 2007

We stopped at this months-old bakery for some pizza, which was subtly delicious -- thin crust, tangy sauce, good cheese. The coffee (I ordered a latte, but though they use an espresso machine, it seemed more like a cafe con leche (no foam, mellower coffee flavor)) was ideal. The owners were very friendly. We came back the next day for breakfast. I had another "latte" and a pastelillo, which was light, flaky, and tasty, but I haven't learned to deal with the masses of powdered sugar involved in Puerto Rican pastries, so I was a little embarrassed by the huge mess I made. One of the other patrons at breakfast seemed mystified to see tourists. "How did you find this?" he asked. "We drove by?" my sister answered. "You drove by," he said, still puzzled. I'm not sure why he was suprised, but there you have it.

Favorite Dish: You really shouldn't miss the pizza.

• Women's Travel

• by travelling_foodie Updated May 16, 2006

I didn't have the seafood, here, since I was a bit seafooded out that night--but I did have one of the most delicious dishes I've ever had at a restaurant: mofongo stuffed with chicken. For context, (1) I was very hungry; (2) I wasn't expecting much of the food because I'm (probably irrationally) biased against places with plastic lawn chairs; and (3) I cook well, eat out frequently, and am, in general, a snot about food. This dish was AMAZING. Even if you don't think you like mofongo, try it. It's like no mofongo you've had before, a heaping mound of plantain fried to perfection, filled with your choice of meat or seafood, and topped off with a generous dallop of luscious, garlicky gravy. My partner had the porkchop, which was dry and less flavorful, similar to cuban style chops, though the side of vegetables was well executed.

The salad served with the meal wasn't very interesting on its own--iceberg lettuce with the three oldtimers (cucumber, tomato and carrot)--but have it with the chef / owner's special herb-infused vinaigrette and it becomes a small masterpiece.

My conclusion? This place does sauces really damn well, so order something off the menu that will come with a sauce. I thought the prices were quite fair, but the seafood dishes ARE much more expensive. Do stop by for the gracious service (the chef / owner / server was lovely and friendly, with the unshakeable dignity of a man who has lived his life well; his family was kind and shared their bug spray with us since we were being eaten alive by mosquitos) and the ass-kicking stuffed mofongo. And do have a specialty cocktail for dessert and not an appetizer like we did. Many use ice cream as an ingredient. They're delicious, but sweet!

Favorite Dish: Stuffed mofongo, chef's special dressing. See above!

• Spa and Resort

• sdjaybird's Profile Photo

by sdjaybird Written Dec 20, 2004

This restaurant was listed in several guides but I thought it was below average. Probably the main reason it is listed at all is because it is a clean and attractive place,especially for the surrounding area.The decor is indeed bright and natical,although the cheap white plastic chairs belong in a driveway not a nice restaurant. Some interesting art is on the walls. The food however, was expensive for what you got and the fresh seafood was overcooked ,tough and dry.

Favorite Dish: The best thing on my plate was frozen french fries!

Instant Answers: Fajardo

Comments

Fajardo Travel Guide
Map of Fajardo