El Yunque National Forest Warnings and Dangers

• Jumpingfamily in raincoats at Rainforest, PR
    Jumpingfamily in raincoats at...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in El Yunque National Forest

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

You Might Not See Much Wildlife

by briantravelman Updated Jan 14, 2014

I came here in hopes of seeing mongoose, iguana, boa, tree snake, legless lizard, Puerto Rican Owl, and the highly endangered, Puerto Rican Parrot. I didn't see any of them, but I did see some tree snails, fast coquis, a condor, and lots of anoles lizards. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see those, but I really wish I would've seen some of the animals on my list.
    It was early morning, and there were only two other tourists there, so I figured they would be out, but they weren't. I even went to places where they are often spotted, and no luck. I didn't even see a single bug.
    I guess I expected too see too much. Don't get your hopes up for seeing wildlife. It's really a matter of luck, unless you are a naturalist, who knows exactly where to look for them. You always see them when you're not trying to. It's like the animals know, you are looking for them.

• Eco-Tourism

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Rainforest and getting lost - so easy to do!

by jumpingnorman Updated Apr 4, 2013

Yunque Rainforest, Puerto Rico

Careful about getting lost!

The guide asked our small group if there were any physicians amongst us, and my wife pointed at me – Thanks! The guide laughed and said he asked because there were two female doctors from Atlanta, Georgia who were just on the news after being lost in the rainforest. He said the public’s general feeling was that they looked like “they know it all” and that it was stupid to be going around the rainforest with no expert guidance. They were lost for several hours I think and our guide said that it is really easy to get lost.

During our hike, he pointed out that there is only one trail we are following and if ever we lag behind, just remember that the “forest slopes” are always on our right side --- the trail goes around like a circle. That was an easy trail, but for complicated trails you better be well-prepared!

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Here is a video of the Jumping Family enjoying the beaches
    and the rainforest of PUERTO RICO
    to the tune of the Flintstones theme song, haha:

PUERTO RICO RAIN FOREST AND BEACHES

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Wear a raincoat or get wet...

by jumpingnorman Updated Apr 4, 2013

Jumpingfamily in raincoats at Rainforest, PR

It may look like it so nice and sunny…but in the rainforest, all of a sudden, the weather changes…not snow – but rainfall of course. Of course, being my adventurous self, I preferred to be wet. But my wife and twins preferred to don raincoats which we bought at a gift shop at the rainforest itself. The raincoats were only $10 for adults and $5 for kids.

The pathways in the rainforest are narrow paved walkways and there’s really not tree for you to take shelter at unless you go INTO the forest and risk being with some snake…yikes…

But when I look back now, I realized I should have just put the kids in their swimsuits and they would have had more fun getting wet...just bring a towel...

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Here is a video of the Jumping Family enjoying the beaches
    and the rainforest of PUERTO RICO
    to the tune of the Flintstones theme song, haha:

PUERTO RICO RAIN FOREST AND BEACHES

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

BRING A PONCHO

by moiraistyx Written Jul 9, 2009

It's a rain forest so it rains and often. While we were here we got rained on twice. The first was an outright down pour the second was more of a sun shower. It's a good idea to bring a poncho or some other light weight rain gear. I don't suggest an umbrella cause it could poke some other hiker in the eye.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

SLIPPERY SLOPES

by moiraistyx Written Jul 9, 2009

The hike in the rain forest was absolutely amazing, but after it rained, we really had to be careful to watch our step. The trail, rocks and areas around became very slick after it had rained causing us and everyone else to slow down on our way back. I watched some little kids, maybe they were 9 or 10 years old, wipe out onto their back sides because they thought they could run down the trail ahead of their folks. Lucky for them they landed on their butts and not their heads.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Multiple Minor Warnings

by grandmaR Updated Apr 8, 2009

Flood Hazard Signs by the La Coca Falls

Most of the problems you will encounter in the rain forest are because of ..... wait for it..... rain or water. The forest receives an average annual rainfall of 120 inches or more

Since a rain forest or cloud forest or wet forest exists because it gets a lot of water from rain, you should not be surprised to encounter rain, which may vary from a brief shower to a fog to an all day downpour. You should be prepared with appropriate rain protective gear. An umbrella won't cut it in the rain forest.

The rugged Luquillo Mountains that rise to 3,533 ft. above sea level comprise most of the forest land. Their steep slopes can sometimes receive rainfall of over 200 inches (508 centimeters) at higher elevations! The rain makes the roads very slippery, as in the park the roads climb quite steeply. Also, as the first photo points out, the waterfalls and rivers can flood over the road. Rocks, Trails and wet mossy areas around the waterfalls are slippery. In California, hiking on the Mist Trail in the spring, I fell when my feet slipped on the wet mossy trail.

Other things to remember - Don't leave the trails and get lost, the access control gate is shut at 6 pm, and there are some poisonous plants which should be avoided.

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo

Don't let the ferns fool you!!

by lonestar_philomath Written Apr 4, 2007

It is a sad fact but few of the native islanders seem to care much for the environment.

The ferns at least hide the trash, but where the ferns have been burned, you can see bottles, cans, and other trash covering inch over inch of the ground.

• Eco-Tourism

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Stay on the trail

by sswagner Written Jan 18, 2005

Ruggedness of the landscape

El Yunque is a very rugged landscape, so it is highly recommended that one stay on the trail. Due to the dense foliage, it would be incredibly easy to get lost here. Not to mention, things get quite slippery when they are wet, which is most of the time. There are steep hills in the region which help to produce a falling hazard. If someone were to get lost and have an accident, it would be very difficult for a rescue party to find them.

Instant Answers: El Yunque National Forest

Comments

El Yunque National Forest Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of El Yunque National Forest warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for El Yunque National Forest sightseeing.

View all El Yunque National Forest hotels