Patillas Travel Guide

Caribbean Sunset

Patillas Things to Do

Caribe Playa 3 more images

by briantravelman Written Jan 11, 2014

Even if you aren't staying at the Caribe Playa Beach resort, this is still a nice beach to visit. You can stroll through palm groves, or just enjoy the beach. There is a road right behind the beach, and even though you can still hear the traffic, it feels secluded. You can wonder a few feet from the hotel, and you will feel like you are on a deserted island show. You could seriously film a survival show here, and get away with it. You can built a shelter, and pretend you're on a deserted island, which is what I did. If you're lucky, you might get to see a monitor, anole, or a cute little ghost crab. The beach also has nice sunsets, and sunrises. The beach is rocky, but the palm trees at beauty to it.
    Only con is, that you can't snorkel here, because the water is too murky. We were also told by a hotel staff, not to swim here, because of the strong current, but we did anyways, and it's not bad.
    Be aware though, that the parking is small, and reserved for hotel guests and staff. You can still park here, but we had a day tourist park in our spot, and we had to wait for him to leave. But most tourists are gone for the day, so you should be okay.
    Hammocks and recliners, are reserved for hotel guests, but you can ask the staff if it's okay for you to use them, and if all the guests are out, I am sure they will let you.

• Beaches

Patillas Hotels

Patillas Warnings and Dangers

by briantravelman Written Jan 11, 2014

We were staying at the Caribe Playa Beach Resort, and this guy who works at the hotel told us not to swim there because of rip currents. We swam anyways. The current was a little strong, but nothing we couldn't handle. I even swam by myself, and didn't have any trouble. I saw a few other people swimming too, but if you are not a strong swimmer, I would stick to the hotel pool, or find a safer beach to swim on. If you do choose to swim here, swim with a buddy, and don’t go far from shore. It’s always a good idea to listen to local warnings, but sometimes people over exaggerate things. It’s best to examine the situation yourself. If it looks safe, go ahead, if it looks dangerous, stay away. If you feel yourself starting to get pulled. In strong currents like this, it is advised to swim parallel to the shore. That’s what I did, and I didn’t have any trouble. But again, swim at your own risk.

• Beaches
    • Water Sports

Patillas Off The Beaten Path

Puerto Rico's Famous Flamboyant Trees 1 more image

by briantravelman Written Jan 11, 2014

About 9 miles north of Patillas is Charco Azul, also called the Guavate Forest. The forest is located just off Route 184. The region gets its name, because a small river that flows through here, has a bluish color.
    We only stopped here for a few minutes, on the way to San Juan, so we didn't actually hike into the forest, we just walked a few yards from the parking lot to look at the region's famous, "Flamboyant Trees".
    After playing with some friendly stray dogs, we got back in the car, and continued to San Juan.

Just so you know what I am talking about, this is the place Anthony Bourdain searched for Chupacabra, in his Puerto Rico episode. I think he even saw the same dogs.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Patillas

Comments

Patillas Travel Guide
Map of Patillas