Places to eat in San Juan

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Juan

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Raíces: Apps and Mojitos STAT!

by garridogal Updated Mar 31, 2014

We stopped at Raíces for lunch. It had been recommended to my friends, was right around the corner from our hotel, and had available outdoor seating. How could we go wrong? I loved the outfits that the waitresses wore to make them resemble local townswomen or jíbaras and ours was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: We decided that we need some appetizers and mojitos and not necessarily in that order! So we got the Boriqua Festival which consists of all sorts of wonderful fried goodies, and some wonderful fried shrimp. We washed this down with a variety of their fruity mojitos.

The best part of the meal, however, came at the end with the Dulce de Tres Leches or Three Milk Cake. It was as good as it looks and it looks marvelous, doesn't it? The idea of licking the plate crossed my mind more than once...

Latin Star: Puerto Rican food

by Dabs Updated Jan 23, 2014

While it seems everyone else staying in Condado was going out for pizza and Mexican, we wanted to try local food and our hotel steered us to Latin Star, a few blocks from our hotel next to the 24 hour Walgreens. It's a small place with covered outdoor dining, our hotel said it was run by Dominicans and their other suggestion was run by Cubans. The reviews on this place, which I read after I got home, are all over the place. When we were there, it wasn't overly busy and the service was fine although they checked in with us three or four times before we were ready to order. It is open 24 hours so it's a decent place if you want a late night snack.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a appetizer plate with several items probably wouldn't order that again but the mofongo with chicken served in a wooden chalice, garlic wafting up out of the chalice was very tasty. Most restaurants have the chicken or seafood inside the mofongo, here it was piled on top, like they make the two separately. David ordered a plantain sandwich, called a jibarito here in Chicago, fried plaintiffs with pork, cheese, lettuce and tomato which was OK. Total with tax and tip was $42, they take credit cards. A 15% gratuity was added so don't tip twice, something that seems to annoy a lot of the people reviewing this restaurant but I normally tip at least that. But as that's not the norm in San Juan, make sure you look for it.

Not a bad option but I liked Ropa Vieja better in the area and I liked Café Manolin in Old San Juan better for mofongo.

Ropa Vieja: Condado-Puerto Rican/Cuban food

by Dabs Updated Jan 20, 2014

We asked some local policemen where to go to have Puerto Rican food and 1st they said Latin Star where we had already eaten and then they said Ropa Vieja which had good Trip Advisor reviews so we headed there for lunch on Saturday before heading to the cruise ship. Obviously not their peak time, there were only a couple of tables filled. Service was fast, there was a little problem with language but another server came over and confirmed our order.

From the Radisson it was a 10 or 15 minute walk along Ashford

Favorite Dish: What should you order at a place called Ropa Vieja? Seems pretty obvious that you should order the namesake dish, Ropa Vieja. I ordered ropa vieja ($17.95) by itself, David ordered mofongo with Ropa Vieja ($18.95). The ropa vieja by itself was the better dish. Ropa vieja is shredded flank steak in a tomato based sauce., the meat here was very tender

Cafe Manolin: Puerto Rican food Old San Juan

by Dabs Updated Jan 20, 2014

2nd visit January 2014

I remembered Café Manolin from a previous trip so we stopped here to have lunch before we had to head to the airport on our return to San Juan. We got there at about 11:30am and the place was already pretty full, when we left at noon there was a line. This was the perfect place for us, the clientele a mix of locals and more adventurous tourists, seating is either at small tables or at the counter where we ate. Service is very friendly and it's fun to sit at the counter

Favorite Dish: David tried the Mofongo Relleno con Pollo, mashed plantain stuffed with chicken ($9.25) and I had the Mofongo Relleno con Camarones, mashed plantain stuffed with shrimp ($10.95). Both were excellent, filled with the taste of garlic with a side of rice, a cup of baked beans and fried plantains. Lunch was about $25 total before tip with a beverage and an extra side of fried plantains. Great local food in Old San Juan and not at tourist prices.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Grabbing a Bite

by cjg1 Updated Dec 24, 2013

Margaritaville is one of the food options avaialble in the airport terminal. My wife and I have been here twice during our travels through this airport; one during a layover from St. Lucia and the last time in 2013 while waiting for a flight home to NY.

This is the typical Margaritaville chain with all the usual items as well as their signature Margaritas. We came here strictly for their Volcano Nachos. I was so in the mood for these nachos that we abandoned the free food in the lounge for these. Service here is not up to standard in my opinion; it is definitely slow. Wh have had better service on other Caribbean islands that are supposedly on "island time". Food was good though and I was very happy having had my nacho fix.

• starship's Profile Photo

Dragonfly: Can a Restaurant be Sexy??

by starship Updated Nov 30, 2013

Can a restaurant be sexy? That's how "Dragonfly" is described in travel blurbs!! A nearby competitor of the Parrot Club is "Dragonfly." Opened in 2000, this restaurant offers a mix of Asian and Latino dishes and sushi, this restaurant should be given a try for its uniqueness if nothing else! But there's a lot of else! Frommer's describes the decor as that of Old Bordello in San Francisco. It's the hippest and hottest place in town not only because of the atmosphere, but the food is said to be some of the best to be found.

Don't be surprised if you have a long wait to be seated--try calling ahead for a table because this is THE SPOT in SoFo (South of Fortaleza). This restaurant is considered moderately expensive and attire is dressy, and not a good choice for children.

Appetizers are in the neighborhood of $12 and entrees average $20 or higher.

Open Monday to Wednesday, 6pm -11pm;
    Thursday to Saturday, 6pm to Midnight.
    Credit cards accepted.

Favorite Dish: For something different, try the Peking Duck nachos, Mongolian Beef, seared tuna with szechwan peppercorn sauce, tapas and other innovative dishes. The chefs are known for their genius use of root vegetables in succulent dishes.

• caminanteodonto's Profile Photo

La Cueva del Chicken Inn: Best place to eat Local food. The best Pizza in PR

by caminanteodonto Written Nov 9, 2013

The Restaurant La Cueva del Chicken Inn is one of the best local restaurant in Puerto Rico. Great Puerto Rican food! No contest! One the best places to eat ¨comida criolla¨. Not only their ¨comida criolla is great, but they have one of the best Pizza I ever tasted. I live in New York and I really love New Yorker Pizza. But their pizza can compete easily with a New Yorker and win.
    History- This restaurant was originally owned by the well known Puerto Rican Actor Raúl Juliá.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, white rice and red beans, chicharrones de pollo(Puerto Rican Fried chicken), filete encebolla'o. To see their full menu go to http://www.lacuevadelchickeninn.com/Platos.html

• Business Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Admiral's Club: Lounging out before a flight

by cjg1 Updated Oct 30, 2013

The Admiral's Club is always a nice option to have when travelling. I enjoy having a nice place to sit and enjoy a drink or some food. Having internet access and a clean bathroom is also a plus especially when waiting for your next flight.

• Colombo's (above Waiter's - not same place): Only part of Puerto Rico I did NOT like

by Leighlaa Written Jan 4, 2012

The waitress was very specific asking exactly how we'd like our food but then disappeared after order was taken. Menu looked good service seemed good at that point, but turned very quickly. All the specifics that had been asked about NONE of the orders came back correct. Then we had to ask the cook for the specifics such as mustard, ketchup, cheese, mayo that make a dry burger or hotdog edible. When we asked for cheese for the hotdog the cook looked very disgruntled then slammed back down a hotdog swimming in nacho cheese. Our waitress NEVER returned. We had to read to some guy at a register what we orderedbto be rung up. It was ridiculous & we were all a little worried over possibly getting food poisoning, but luckily that didn't happen.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish to laugh about is the hotdog swimming in nacho cheese.

Cafe del Angel: Mofongo Baby

by garridogal Written Nov 28, 2011

We had a large group at Cafe del Angel, parts of which arrived at different times. Cafe del Angel was very accommodating in waiting for everyone. When we did all finally arrive, our orders came out in good time. I do have to mention that we opted to sit in the outdoor section. The lighting was much better than the indoor section where surgery could have been performed but maaaan... was it hot out there! Would love to have combined the coolness of the inside with the ambiance of the outdoor section.

Favorite Dish: Starting with coconut mojitos that were simply delicious, the majority of the table ordered mofongo. I had the one stuffed with shrimp and it was really good. It was served covered in sauce and I've never had it that way before so it was nice to try something new.

Cafeteria Mallorca: Breakfast with the Locals

by garridogal Written Nov 28, 2011

We asked one of the doormen at our hotel for a breakfast recommendation. Cafeteria Mallorca was one of his picks. We knew from the moment we walked in that it would be good. Not only was it not filled with tourists but it had the feeling of 1950's soda fountain joint, as if it had been frozen in time. It was local, quaint, loud, and not fancy at all. Just what we wanted! The counter was manned by the cutest older man who is undoubtedly staying young by all the moving back and forth and conversation that his job requires.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a fresh fruit plate, eggs and chorizo. The eggs were served with bread that seemed to be heated over a grill. One of my friends had the speciality sandwich, the Mallorca. It was a lot like a Monte Cristo and he raved about it. The coffee was, of course, strong and delicious. Hey, we were in Puerto Rico.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

List of Restaurants: Restaurants with authentic Puerto Rican cuisine

by joiwatani Written Nov 2, 2011

These are the different restaurants in San Juan, Puerto Rico where you can eat authentic food:
    1.Caficultura on 312 San Francisco St.
    2.El Parnaso Mexican Restaurant & Bar at 251 Cristo St
    3. Cafe El PUnto on 105 Fortaleza Street
    4. Cafe Manolin on 251 San Justo Street
    5. Cafe La Princesa on Paseo de la Princesa (next to the P.R Tourism Co.)

• Castles and Palaces

• Los Pinos: Locals Favorite

by MujerGitana0504 Written Jul 19, 2011

Los Pinos is a local establishment with good food and cheap prices. It isn't fancy so if you are looking for fine dining this is not your place, but if you want good local food for next to nothing give this place a shot. There is one on the main avenue of Isla Verde (near the Oyesters Bar) and also on Ponce de Leon in Santurce (across from the Pueblo grocery store). I ordered a ham and cheese sandwhich (a little larger than a 6 inch sub), rice and beans, and a medalla lite all for under $5.00!

Favorite Dish: bocadillos con tostones

• nyonnetti's Profile Photo

Platos Restaurant: Local Puerto Rican Food

by nyonnetti Updated Apr 4, 2011

Delicious local restaurant which offers a romantic setting and awesome service. The waiters were very friendly and made sure we chose the right foods for our taste.

Favorite Dish: I chose the Mofongo Pollo-this dish is great if you love plantains. My family loved the Pechuga Rellena Batata dish. I also recommend the black beans.

El Jibarito: More Puerto Rican food

by Dabs Updated Jan 19, 2011

I was tempted to go back to Cafe Manolin since I really liked the food there but El Jibarito is mentioned in virtually every guidebook and by all kinds of people on forum boards so we decided to try it instead. We were greeted at the door by one of the owners who found us a table at this extremely busy restaurant and handed a paper laminated menu in Spanish and English.

Favorite Dish: I had my heart set on Mofongo which was listed as a side dish on the restaurant menu but I had seen it on their online menu and asked if I could get that as my entree. I ordered it with shrimp ($15.95), I thought the portion size was a little small for the price plus it didn't come with any sides but it was good and garlicky. David ordered the pork tamales ($9.95), I thought the consistency of it was a little too mushy for tamales. It came with a small portion of fried plantains and rice and beans.

San Juan Hotels

Acacia Seaside Inn Boutique
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Hotel La Playa

Instant Answers: San Juan

Comments

San Juan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Juan locals.
Map of San Juan