Places to eat in San Juan

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Juan

• Dabs's Profile Photo

La Bombonera: More Puerto Rican food

by Dabs Updated May 2, 2010

The 1st day we were in San Juan, which was a Sunday coinciding with the festival of San Sebastien, there was a very long line out the door for lunch at La Bombonera, I figured it had something to do with the signs proclaiming that Rachael Ray had stopped there. So we passed on that and went to Manolin. On our return to San Juan after the cruise, we tried again and this time there was no line and we were seated immediately. The service here is known to be gruff and unfriendly and it was.

Favorite Dish: We tried the same dish here that we did at Manolin, the portion size was a bit larger here but it didn't come with any side dishes and the price was a bit more. I thought that was just as good here but not as reasonably priced. The disappointment was the other dish we ordered, pork wrapped chorizo which came with potatoes and fried plantains. That was very bland and the pork tasted like pot roast, maybe it was. Our meal here was $31 before tip with soft drinks and 2 entrees.

We also got a few pastries to go, $5 for 4 pastries. They were good but nothing out of the ordinary.

If you do stop here, it seems like the overwhelming number of reviews say you have to order a mallorca, unfortunately I read that after I got home.

La Bombonera Pork wrapped chorizo Mofongo

Waikiki: A nice surprise in the Condado area

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

We stopped by the Waikiki restaurant early one evening because we felt like going out for drinks before dinner and we could see from the street that there was a nice outdoor terrace at the back of the restaurant. As soon as we walked in, we were surpriced to see how charming and cosy the restaurant was (with a name like Waikiki we were expecting something rather tacky), and we decided to give some of the appetizers a try. The menu was kind of eclectic with lots of interesting meat, chicken, fish and seafood options, and Sylvain and I both agreed that their Spinach dip was the best one we'd ever tasted. We eventually struck up a conversation with a fellow Canadian visitor out on the terrace who told us she'd been to San Juan numerous times, and that the Waikiki was her favourite restaurant in the Condado area. Next time we'll make sure to go back for dinner!

Sylvain at the Waikiki restaurant, San Juan On the terrace of the Waikiki restaurant

Raices: Great service & sangria, food just OK

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

Before leaving for San Juan I'd read a number of good reviews about "Raices" so one day we decided to stop there for lunch. Again, we found the fact that the restaurant offered outdoor seating very appealing. Our waiter was nice and friendly, and he quickly brought us a pitcher of sangria, which came in an old-fashioned tin jar with tin cups. The sangria was good, and we immediately thought our meal was off to a good start until our waiter came over to warn us there was an electrical problem and it would take more time for our food to be ready. We weren't in a rush or anything so it wasn't really a problem for us, especially since he soon brought us some salads to apologize for the delay. When the food finally came, however, we were a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but compared with the other local dishes we'd tried before, it was rather bland. My chicken creole was a little dry, and so was Sylvain's onion beefsteak (one of the daily specials). Maybe it had to do with the electrical problem? At least we enjoyed the sangria!

Enjoying the sangria while we wait for the food My chicken creole with yellow rice and beans

La Bombonera: Delicious mallorcas for breakfast

by Jefie Updated Feb 20, 2010

La Bombonera has been around for over 100 years and has been enjoying ever growing popularity, first with the locals and now with international visitors. The atmosphere is like that of an old diner - nothing too fancy or flashy. When we met with VTer JosueGonzalez, both he and his daughter recommended going to La Bombonera for breakfast to try one of their mallorcas. They also gave us a really good tip: to sit at the counter, where service is much faster! Mallorcas are little round pastries originating from Spain. For breakfast, you can order a mallorca sandwich: they stuff the pastry with ham, bacon, egg or cheese, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. The result is a sweet and salty combination that goes really well with good a cup of coffee or a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice. We liked it so much that we ended up going back the very next day!

Favorite Dish: We tried a few mallorca sandwich combinations but my favourite one was the ham & cheese mallorca.

La Bombonera in Old San Juan Mallorca sandwiches at La Bombonera Inside La Bombonera, Old San Juan

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Bebo's Cafe: By all accounts, a locals' favourite!

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

We had the pleasure of getting together with VTer JosueGonzalez on our very first night in San Juan. When I suggested having dinner together, he in turn suggested going to Bebo's Cafe for great Puerto Rican food. This restaurant is located on Calle Loiza, just one street down from Ashford Avenue. Even though it's within walking distance from most of the Condado hotels, the clientele is mostly local. In fact, I was really glad that Josue was there with us to interact with the waiters and translate some of the items on the menu, otherwise I might have felt a little lost! The atmosphere of the place is first and foremost that of a family restaurant - we enjoyed it very much because we were with Josué, but even though the place was very crowded, we might have felt the lack of ambience if it had been just the two of us. As for the food, I ended up ordering the chicken fricase, which Josué described as a Dominican dish. It was quite good, the chicken was very tender and tasty. Sylvain ordered the shrimp soup and raved about it during the rest of the trip! So if you're looking to get away from the more touristic Ashford Avenue and try a real local restaurant, with good food at a decent price, Bebo's Cafe might just be the place for you!

At Bebo's Cafe with Josu�� My chicken fricase with rice and beans

Cafe Puerto Rico: Great spot for local food at Plaza de Colon

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

On our first day in San Juan, we got to Plaza de Colon early in the afternoon and were immediately tempted to have lunch at one of the many restaurants located in the area, especially since many of them had little sidewalk terraces. After looking at some of the menus, we decided to eat at Cafe Puerto Rico. We ordered two rum punches - made with Don Q rum and fresh fruit juices - and they were really good. I then decided to try one of the local specialties that Kristi (VTer Dabs) had recommended and went for the chicken mofongo. It was delicious, the perfect introduction to Puerto Rican cuisine! In fact, based on how good the meal was, I was surprised to see this restaurant wasn't more crowded - until I went inside to use the restrooms and realized the place was packed! I guess only Canadians in desperate need of sun and heat will eat out on a terrace when it's 30°C outside...!

My chicken mofongo at Cafe Puerto Rico Sylvain enjoying his Don Q rum punch!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Yerba Buena: Delicious Cuban food in Puerto Rico!

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

Since our hotel was located in the Condado area, we decided one night to have dinner at one of the numerous restaurants located on Ashford Avenue. We picked Yerba Buena mostly because I love Cuban food, it wasn't too expensive, and there was a really nice atmosphere in the restaurant. As soon as we sat down we ordered two mojitos, and they were excellent. I decided to order their ropa vieja dish, and it was absolutely delicious - the best meal I had in San Juan, and there were many, many good ones! I also very much enjoyed the little Cuban touch all around the place, from the old newspaper clippings posted on the walls to the bill that came in a box of Cuban cigars. I would definitely recommend this place for a good meal in the Condado area.

Salud! Ropa vieja at Yerba Buena Yerba Buena, Condado, San Juan

• vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

Yerba Buena: Tropical Ambience

by vabchtraveler Written Sep 28, 2009

Yerba Buena is a charming restaurant on Ashford Avenue in the Condado area. Choose one of the glider tables on the patio fronting Ashford to enjoy the atmosphere of San Juan. Our waiter was attentive and charming, and our service was quite good. It is the Caribbean, you are probably on vacation, so relax and enjoy your beverage and soak up the ambience - don't expect the same pace as you find in the States. You'll have no problems ordering in English in this Cuban/Caribbean cafe. I don't remember what I ate, I'll pay more attention next time, but the food was delicious the two times I was there and reasonably priced at $12-$25 for a nice dinner meal. I would recommend Yerba Buena to anyone looking a taste of the Caribbean and will return myself on my next visit. I have heard that this restaurant is closed on Sunday so I'd confirm before going.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Raices: Popular with locals; near cruise ships

by jumpingnorman Updated Jun 15, 2009

Our cab driver on the way to San Juan (an immigrant to PR from New York City) suggested this amazing restaurant well-known by the locals. After we visited the Fort, we just asked for directions going to it and it is actually near where the cruise ship docks.

We ordered the 2 specials for the day - the fried pork chop which was okay, and the fried chicken which was awesom. You already know this restaurant is nice when you enter and are greeted by a nice lady wearing the all white Puerto Rican dress and turban, and the male servers wear a hat and PR outfit. The diet coke I ordered was also amazing since it came in a nice tin cup! It kept it cold.

My wife liked the custard dessert - it was yummy. The kids wanted Kitkat and bout outside and it was melted due to the heat when we arrived, but the waiter was nice enough to put it in the refrigerator and gave it to them at the end. Great service, Local favourite dishes...

They also have a branch in Caguas - (787)258-1570, Villa Turabo H-31

Raices  near cruise ships in San Juan, Puerto Rico Raices  near cruise ships in San Juan, Puerto Rico Raices  near cruise ships in San Juan, Puerto Rico Raices  near cruise ships in San Juan, Puerto Rico Our waiter, Raices in San Juan, Puerto Rico

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

Raices: REALLY GOOD FOOD AND A HIGH PRICE

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 30, 2009

This was the first of two places Jason and I ate at while we visited Old San Juan. I thought the place was really charming with it's waitresses dressed in costumes. I didn't want anything heavy so I went with a chicken dish. I had Erick's special which was a chicken breast served with mushrooms and peas in a light sauce. I had a side of fried plantains and some beans and rice. Jason had the octopus salad which was served in a big wooden goblet with munfongo. The service was really slow here, but it didn't matter. It was nice to take a break from the mid-day heat and rest our weary toes. I started my meal with some guava juice while Jason stuck to some bottled water. It was all yummy.

Mon-Fri 11am-4pm, 6-10pm; Sat 11am-11pm; Sun noon-11pm

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the fried plantains.

• Aspati's Profile Photo

Maria's: Best sangria in the world

by Aspati Written Mar 14, 2009

Need some snack and good sangria? Go to Maria's. It was my best ever tasted sangria. Moreover you always can dance some salsa in the bar. There will be always someone who will help you to do that :) Did you know that many Hollywood stars were there? You can check on the walls of the bar. An did you know that Maria is still alive? Ask someone for the story of Maria.

• Singles

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

El Patio de Sam: American-classic Bites in Amer-classic atmosphere

by gdilieto Updated Dec 14, 2008

I don't understand what is the deal about this Restaurant and I wonder why it is referenced in almost every guidebook. Location is certainly attractive (in one of the hottest spots of Old San Juan close to other bars, restaurants and clubs) but for the rest the Restaurant has the variety, the quality and the ambiance of a regular American Bar&Grill.

The Restaurant is made of a bar overlooking Plaza de San José and an inner dining lounge. On the menu sandwiches, burgers, salads and other American classics such as grilled chicken, grilled salmon, pasta, plus a choice of few Puerto Rican dishes. I decided to go with local food and tried bifstek encebollada (beefsteak with onions), and a stew made of chicken and rice. The plus is that on the menu there is something for every taste, on the other side the place lacks charm and character. It is centrally located in Old San Juan and, if around, you may decide to stop by, but I don't think it is worth to come here on purpose unless you are craving some American-classic bites in an American-classic atmosphere.

• Architecture

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

La Barrachina: "Birthplace of the Pina Colada"

by Ericasmurf99 Written Jul 5, 2008

The food was fantastic here, and so were the pina coladas.

The staff was horrible though. The hostess was not smiling and acted like she hated her job. Our waiter seemed annoyed that he had to work too. After he took our order it took FOREVER to get our food. People who were coming in after us was getting their food. Once he came with the food he set it down and didn't ask us how were or refilled our drinks, and we were complelty out and very thirsty. We would try to flag him down and he would ignore us.

The place also boasts that they have "live parrots and a tropical forest atmosphere". There was one parrot in a cage in the back and there were some big houseplants around. That was it.....

Favorite Dish: Fajitas
    Pina Colada

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Don PePe's: A Puerto Rican Delight!

by wilocrek Updated May 15, 2008

By the way its not Don Pee Pee, its Don PePe's, you would be surprised how often that mistake is made. This is one of the most authentic places for Puerto Rican food and at a economical prices. Be sure to try their fresh plantains that come from the fruit market next door and don't miss out on trying their black bean appetizer. I tried just about everything off the menu and every item left me wanting more, sadly its been six months since I visited so I have to simply live with the memories. The ambience of the restaurant is a plus as the walls are covered with autographed photos of the many famous athletes that have eaten at the restaurant. The only downside is the wait time for your food, but since they cook to order all the entrees I would have to say its well worth the wait.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Marmalade: Sophisticated French-Caribbean

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 5, 2008

Another great restaruant/bar/lonuge located here on Calle Fortaleza!! This place is not only gorgeous and upscale, but the food is fantastic!!

I love their tables and whole decor which invites an intimate and relaxing environment. The food could only be described as unique and inspiring. The appetizers are excellent and their drink specialties just complete the whole night. You can also enjoy some excellent wine (always my favorite with such a yummy meal)!

Favorite Dish: Start the evening with an appetizer...the gnocchi and calamari salad are my favorite or have a tuna tarter or their paella bytes or main lobster rolls, for dinner I had the baked jumbo main scallops always my favorite.

San Juan Hotels

Acacia Seaside Inn Boutique
Latest: Jul 3, 2014
Sheraton Old San Juan Resort

Instant Answers: San Juan

Comments

San Juan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Juan locals.
Map of San Juan