Places to eat in San Juan

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Juan

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Grabbing a Bite

by cjg1 Updated Dec 24, 2013

Margaritaville is one of the food options avaialble in the airport terminal. My wife and I have been here twice during our travels through this airport; one during a layover from St. Lucia and the last time in 2013 while waiting for a flight home to NY.

This is the typical Margaritaville chain with all the usual items as well as their signature Margaritas. We came here strictly for their Volcano Nachos. I was so in the mood for these nachos that we abandoned the free food in the lounge for these. Service here is not up to standard in my opinion; it is definitely slow. Wh have had better service on other Caribbean islands that are supposedly on "island time". Food was good though and I was very happy having had my nacho fix.

Volcano Nachos

• starship's Profile Photo

Dragonfly: Can a Restaurant be Sexy??

by starship Updated Nov 30, 2013

Can a restaurant be sexy? That's how "Dragonfly" is described in travel blurbs!! A nearby competitor of the Parrot Club is "Dragonfly." Opened in 2000, this restaurant offers a mix of Asian and Latino dishes and sushi, this restaurant should be given a try for its uniqueness if nothing else! But there's a lot of else! Frommer's describes the decor as that of Old Bordello in San Francisco. It's the hippest and hottest place in town not only because of the atmosphere, but the food is said to be some of the best to be found.

Don't be surprised if you have a long wait to be seated--try calling ahead for a table because this is THE SPOT in SoFo (South of Fortaleza). This restaurant is considered moderately expensive and attire is dressy, and not a good choice for children.

Appetizers are in the neighborhood of $12 and entrees average $20 or higher.

Open Monday to Wednesday, 6pm -11pm;
    Thursday to Saturday, 6pm to Midnight.
    Credit cards accepted.

Favorite Dish: For something different, try the Peking Duck nachos, Mongolian Beef, seared tuna with szechwan peppercorn sauce, tapas and other innovative dishes. The chefs are known for their genius use of root vegetables in succulent dishes.

• caminanteodonto's Profile Photo

La Cueva del Chicken Inn: Best place to eat Local food. The best Pizza in PR

by caminanteodonto Written Nov 9, 2013

The Restaurant La Cueva del Chicken Inn is one of the best local restaurant in Puerto Rico. Great Puerto Rican food! No contest! One the best places to eat ¨comida criolla¨. Not only their ¨comida criolla is great, but they have one of the best Pizza I ever tasted. I live in New York and I really love New Yorker Pizza. But their pizza can compete easily with a New Yorker and win.
    History- This restaurant was originally owned by the well known Puerto Rican Actor Raúl Juliá.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, white rice and red beans, chicharrones de pollo(Puerto Rican Fried chicken), filete encebolla'o. To see their full menu go to http://www.lacuevadelchickeninn.com/Platos.html

http://www.lacuevadelchickeninn.com/Platos.html http://www.lacuevadelchickeninn.com/Platos.html http://www.lacuevadelchickeninn.com/Platos.html
    • Business Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Admiral's Club: Lounging out before a flight

by cjg1 Updated Oct 30, 2013

The Admiral's Club is always a nice option to have when travelling. I enjoy having a nice place to sit and enjoy a drink or some food. Having internet access and a clean bathroom is also a plus especially when waiting for your next flight.

• Colombo's (above Waiter's - not same place): Only part of Puerto Rico I did NOT like

by Leighlaa Written Jan 4, 2012

The waitress was very specific asking exactly how we'd like our food but then disappeared after order was taken. Menu looked good service seemed good at that point, but turned very quickly. All the specifics that had been asked about NONE of the orders came back correct. Then we had to ask the cook for the specifics such as mustard, ketchup, cheese, mayo that make a dry burger or hotdog edible. When we asked for cheese for the hotdog the cook looked very disgruntled then slammed back down a hotdog swimming in nacho cheese. Our waitress NEVER returned. We had to read to some guy at a register what we orderedbto be rung up. It was ridiculous & we were all a little worried over possibly getting food poisoning, but luckily that didn't happen.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish to laugh about is the hotdog swimming in nacho cheese.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Cafe del Angel: Mofongo Baby

by garridogal Written Nov 28, 2011

We had a large group at Cafe del Angel, parts of which arrived at different times. Cafe del Angel was very accommodating in waiting for everyone. When we did all finally arrive, our orders came out in good time. I do have to mention that we opted to sit in the outdoor section. The lighting was much better than the indoor section where surgery could have been performed but maaaan... was it hot out there! Would love to have combined the coolness of the inside with the ambiance of the outdoor section.

Favorite Dish: Starting with coconut mojitos that were simply delicious, the majority of the table ordered mofongo. I had the one stuffed with shrimp and it was really good. It was served covered in sauce and I've never had it that way before so it was nice to try something new.

Our big jolly group Mofongo Coconut mojitos, yum.....

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Cafeteria Mallorca: Breakfast with the Locals

by garridogal Written Nov 28, 2011

We asked one of the doormen at our hotel for a breakfast recommendation. Cafeteria Mallorca was one of his picks. We knew from the moment we walked in that it would be good. Not only was it not filled with tourists but it had the feeling of 1950's soda fountain joint, as if it had been frozen in time. It was local, quaint, loud, and not fancy at all. Just what we wanted! The counter was manned by the cutest older man who is undoubtedly staying young by all the moving back and forth and conversation that his job requires.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a fresh fruit plate, eggs and chorizo. The eggs were served with bread that seemed to be heated over a grill. One of my friends had the speciality sandwich, the Mallorca. It was a lot like a Monte Cristo and he raved about it. The coffee was, of course, strong and delicious. Hey, we were in Puerto Rico.

La Cafeteria Fresh fruit, yum.... Mini chorizos will make you smile Digging the ambiance!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

List of Restaurants: Restaurants with authentic Puerto Rican cuisine

by joiwatani Written Nov 2, 2011

These are the different restaurants in San Juan, Puerto Rico where you can eat authentic food:
    1.Caficultura on 312 San Francisco St.
    2.El Parnaso Mexican Restaurant & Bar at 251 Cristo St
    3. Cafe El PUnto on 105 Fortaleza Street
    4. Cafe Manolin on 251 San Justo Street
    5. Cafe La Princesa on Paseo de la Princesa (next to the P.R Tourism Co.)

• Castles and Palaces

• Los Pinos: Locals Favorite

by MujerGitana0504 Written Jul 19, 2011

Los Pinos is a local establishment with good food and cheap prices. It isn't fancy so if you are looking for fine dining this is not your place, but if you want good local food for next to nothing give this place a shot. There is one on the main avenue of Isla Verde (near the Oyesters Bar) and also on Ponce de Leon in Santurce (across from the Pueblo grocery store). I ordered a ham and cheese sandwhich (a little larger than a 6 inch sub), rice and beans, and a medalla lite all for under $5.00!

Favorite Dish: bocadillos con tostones

• nyonnetti's Profile Photo

Platos Restaurant: Local Puerto Rican Food

by nyonnetti Updated Apr 4, 2011

Delicious local restaurant which offers a romantic setting and awesome service. The waiters were very friendly and made sure we chose the right foods for our taste.

Favorite Dish: I chose the Mofongo Pollo-this dish is great if you love plantains. My family loved the Pechuga Rellena Batata dish. I also recommend the black beans.

Platos restaurant Platos restaurant Platos restaurant

• Dabs's Profile Photo

El Jibarito: More Puerto Rican food

by Dabs Updated Jan 19, 2011

I was tempted to go back to Cafe Manolin since I really liked the food there but El Jibarito is mentioned in virtually every guidebook and by all kinds of people on forum boards so we decided to try it instead. We were greeted at the door by one of the owners who found us a table at this extremely busy restaurant and handed a paper laminated menu in Spanish and English.

Favorite Dish: I had my heart set on Mofongo which was listed as a side dish on the restaurant menu but I had seen it on their online menu and asked if I could get that as my entree. I ordered it with shrimp ($15.95), I thought the portion size was a little small for the price plus it didn't come with any sides but it was good and garlicky. David ordered the pork tamales ($9.95), I thought the consistency of it was a little too mushy for tamales. It came with a small portion of fried plantains and rice and beans.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

La Bombonera: More Puerto Rican food

by Dabs Updated May 2, 2010

The 1st day we were in San Juan, which was a Sunday coinciding with the festival of San Sebastien, there was a very long line out the door for lunch at La Bombonera, I figured it had something to do with the signs proclaiming that Rachael Ray had stopped there. So we passed on that and went to Manolin. On our return to San Juan after the cruise, we tried again and this time there was no line and we were seated immediately. The service here is known to be gruff and unfriendly and it was.

Favorite Dish: We tried the same dish here that we did at Manolin, the portion size was a bit larger here but it didn't come with any side dishes and the price was a bit more. I thought that was just as good here but not as reasonably priced. The disappointment was the other dish we ordered, pork wrapped chorizo which came with potatoes and fried plantains. That was very bland and the pork tasted like pot roast, maybe it was. Our meal here was $31 before tip with soft drinks and 2 entrees.

We also got a few pastries to go, $5 for 4 pastries. They were good but nothing out of the ordinary.

If you do stop here, it seems like the overwhelming number of reviews say you have to order a mallorca, unfortunately I read that after I got home.

La Bombonera Pork wrapped chorizo Mofongo

Waikiki: A nice surprise in the Condado area

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

We stopped by the Waikiki restaurant early one evening because we felt like going out for drinks before dinner and we could see from the street that there was a nice outdoor terrace at the back of the restaurant. As soon as we walked in, we were surpriced to see how charming and cosy the restaurant was (with a name like Waikiki we were expecting something rather tacky), and we decided to give some of the appetizers a try. The menu was kind of eclectic with lots of interesting meat, chicken, fish and seafood options, and Sylvain and I both agreed that their Spinach dip was the best one we'd ever tasted. We eventually struck up a conversation with a fellow Canadian visitor out on the terrace who told us she'd been to San Juan numerous times, and that the Waikiki was her favourite restaurant in the Condado area. Next time we'll make sure to go back for dinner!

Sylvain at the Waikiki restaurant, San Juan On the terrace of the Waikiki restaurant

Raices: Great service & sangria, food just OK

by Jefie Written Feb 20, 2010

Before leaving for San Juan I'd read a number of good reviews about "Raices" so one day we decided to stop there for lunch. Again, we found the fact that the restaurant offered outdoor seating very appealing. Our waiter was nice and friendly, and he quickly brought us a pitcher of sangria, which came in an old-fashioned tin jar with tin cups. The sangria was good, and we immediately thought our meal was off to a good start until our waiter came over to warn us there was an electrical problem and it would take more time for our food to be ready. We weren't in a rush or anything so it wasn't really a problem for us, especially since he soon brought us some salads to apologize for the delay. When the food finally came, however, we were a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but compared with the other local dishes we'd tried before, it was rather bland. My chicken creole was a little dry, and so was Sylvain's onion beefsteak (one of the daily specials). Maybe it had to do with the electrical problem? At least we enjoyed the sangria!

Enjoying the sangria while we wait for the food My chicken creole with yellow rice and beans

La Bombonera: Delicious mallorcas for breakfast

by Jefie Updated Feb 20, 2010

La Bombonera has been around for over 100 years and has been enjoying ever growing popularity, first with the locals and now with international visitors. The atmosphere is like that of an old diner - nothing too fancy or flashy. When we met with VTer JosueGonzalez, both he and his daughter recommended going to La Bombonera for breakfast to try one of their mallorcas. They also gave us a really good tip: to sit at the counter, where service is much faster! Mallorcas are little round pastries originating from Spain. For breakfast, you can order a mallorca sandwich: they stuff the pastry with ham, bacon, egg or cheese, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. The result is a sweet and salty combination that goes really well with good a cup of coffee or a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice. We liked it so much that we ended up going back the very next day!

Favorite Dish: We tried a few mallorca sandwich combinations but my favourite one was the ham & cheese mallorca.

La Bombonera in Old San Juan Mallorca sandwiches at La Bombonera Inside La Bombonera, Old San Juan

San Juan Hotels

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
Sheraton Old San Juan Resort
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: San Juan

Comments

San Juan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Juan locals.
Map of San Juan