Places to eat in San Juan

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Juan

• Aspati's Profile Photo

Maria's: Best sangria in the world

by Aspati Written Mar 14, 2009

Need some snack and good sangria? Go to Maria's. It was my best ever tasted sangria. Moreover you always can dance some salsa in the bar. There will be always someone who will help you to do that :) Did you know that many Hollywood stars were there? You can check on the walls of the bar. An did you know that Maria is still alive? Ask someone for the story of Maria.

• Singles

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

El Patio de Sam: American-classic Bites in Amer-classic atmosphere

by gdilieto Updated Dec 14, 2008

I don't understand what is the deal about this Restaurant and I wonder why it is referenced in almost every guidebook. Location is certainly attractive (in one of the hottest spots of Old San Juan close to other bars, restaurants and clubs) but for the rest the Restaurant has the variety, the quality and the ambiance of a regular American Bar&Grill.

The Restaurant is made of a bar overlooking Plaza de San José and an inner dining lounge. On the menu sandwiches, burgers, salads and other American classics such as grilled chicken, grilled salmon, pasta, plus a choice of few Puerto Rican dishes. I decided to go with local food and tried bifstek encebollada (beefsteak with onions), and a stew made of chicken and rice. The plus is that on the menu there is something for every taste, on the other side the place lacks charm and character. It is centrally located in Old San Juan and, if around, you may decide to stop by, but I don't think it is worth to come here on purpose unless you are craving some American-classic bites in an American-classic atmosphere.

• Architecture

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

La Barrachina: "Birthplace of the Pina Colada"

by Ericasmurf99 Written Jul 5, 2008

The food was fantastic here, and so were the pina coladas.

The staff was horrible though. The hostess was not smiling and acted like she hated her job. Our waiter seemed annoyed that he had to work too. After he took our order it took FOREVER to get our food. People who were coming in after us was getting their food. Once he came with the food he set it down and didn't ask us how were or refilled our drinks, and we were complelty out and very thirsty. We would try to flag him down and he would ignore us.

The place also boasts that they have "live parrots and a tropical forest atmosphere". There was one parrot in a cage in the back and there were some big houseplants around. That was it.....

Favorite Dish: Fajitas
    Pina Colada

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Don PePe's: A Puerto Rican Delight!

by wilocrek Updated May 15, 2008

By the way its not Don Pee Pee, its Don PePe's, you would be surprised how often that mistake is made. This is one of the most authentic places for Puerto Rican food and at a economical prices. Be sure to try their fresh plantains that come from the fruit market next door and don't miss out on trying their black bean appetizer. I tried just about everything off the menu and every item left me wanting more, sadly its been six months since I visited so I have to simply live with the memories. The ambience of the restaurant is a plus as the walls are covered with autographed photos of the many famous athletes that have eaten at the restaurant. The only downside is the wait time for your food, but since they cook to order all the entrees I would have to say its well worth the wait.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Marmalade: Sophisticated French-Caribbean

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 5, 2008

Another great restaruant/bar/lonuge located here on Calle Fortaleza!! This place is not only gorgeous and upscale, but the food is fantastic!!

I love their tables and whole decor which invites an intimate and relaxing environment. The food could only be described as unique and inspiring. The appetizers are excellent and their drink specialties just complete the whole night. You can also enjoy some excellent wine (always my favorite with such a yummy meal)!

Favorite Dish: Start the evening with an appetizer...the gnocchi and calamari salad are my favorite or have a tuna tarter or their paella bytes or main lobster rolls, for dinner I had the baked jumbo main scallops always my favorite.

• Coladas: New Restaurant in the Holiday Inn, Isla Verde

by elfin44 Written Jan 11, 2008

The Holiday Inn in Isla Verde has a delicious new restaurant "Coladas" that serves traditional Puerto Rican food. The place is very nicely decorated and the ambience is super friendly. Suprisingly, the prices are very reasonable for hotel fare and the food is really scrumptious. You can go there to eat or just hang out at the bar. It's a fun place besides having great food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is Churasco. This is a delectable steak meal with rice and red beans. The meat was very tender and cooked to perfection. I also tasted my friend's chicken breast stuffed with plantains. That was yummy too. My niece had the snapper topped with a creamy white sauce. For appetizers we had the crispy pork and ceviche. We ordered more ceviche beacuse it was so good. Dessert was the creamy flan, the coconut flan and the brownie with ice cream.

• Women's Travel

• 43beckos's Profile Photo

Cafe Berlin: Great for afternoon Beer & Nibbles

by 43beckos Written Oct 21, 2007

Overlooking Plaze Colon, this bright and airy restaurant is great for a lunchtime snack. The staff here are extremely friendly and were happy to make recommendations from the menu. The walls are decorated with European style art, yet this place is not at all pretentious.

Favorite Dish: For a nice snack with a cooling beer, try a mix of the home made houmous and fresh baked bread, along with tortillia chips and mang salsa

Cafe Berlin

• drletendre's Profile Photo

Yamasaki: Sushi served fresh with wonderful decor!

by drletendre Updated Sep 27, 2007

This great little restaurant is very popular with locals. The ambience is very modern, with nice lighting and wonderful decor. This a nice place for a romantic date! Wait staff and sushi chef are all friendly and helpful. Good place for business lunch or dinner- not too noisy, and tables are well spaced.

The owner, Jean Zhang, is from Shanghai, China, and always has a welcoming smile. Jean has worked in the restaurant business in Puerto Rico for about 7 years. Since she opened the restaurant two years ago, it has grown in popularity and developed a loyal following. The tempura is perfectly fried and light, the sushi fish is very fresh, flown in every other day. Come early to avoid crowds on weekends. Nice selection of Sake, served warm or cold. The friendly wait staff speaks English and Espanol, some of the ones I have enjoyed great service from are Krystel Ortiz and Steven Wu.

Seating: about 15 tables, with some dining on the outside patio.

Hours:
    Monday thru Saturday: 1130AM to 3PM, and 5PM to 1130PM
    Sunday: 5PM to 1130PM

Favorite Dish: Try the Gold Dragon roll- absolutely fantastic!

• Business Travel

• BellaMora's Profile Photo

Old Harbor Brewery: Not all that great

by BellaMora Updated Sep 23, 2007

This was a microbrewery that tried to hard to be an upscale venue. Their menu was very limited, overpriced, and the food wasnt that great. I believe it was a VERY nice ambience for cocktails after work and it is somewhere I would go for that, however I would eat dinner elsewhere. I heard that the beer is excellent according to my colleagues.

Overall: Not impressive at all. I wouldnt feed their food to my dog.

Favorite Dish: I had the Port Steak (17.50) with beans and rice (4.50) which was a la cart. I am an avid steak eater from Texas and this steak was horrible. It was a cross between flank beef used for fajitas and round steak. It was tough and had no flavor. They rolled it into a roll and put a tea spoon portion of mash potatoes and sliced zucchini under it. They did bring out rolls prior to the main course.

My colleagues had the filet mignon and it was way too big to be a filet. It looked terrible. It looked exactly like my port steak truthfully. It was a huge piece of beef in a circle with the same tea spoon portion of mash potatoes and sliced zucchini under it.

Pinky's: THE BEST WRAPS AND SMOOTHIES IN SAN JUAN

by moiraistyx Written Sep 14, 2007

When I first walked into Pinky's I was a bit worried about what I was going to get, simply cause the place looks like a dive. Everyone here is very informal and casual. I ended up ordering a wrap bade with ham, turkey, cheddar and swiss cheeses. It was toasted which made it all the more yummy. I also got Pinky's version of a smoothie. What a delicious treat that was. I got the traditional which was made with bananas, mangos, apple juice and other fruits. I was expecting a glass, but instead was served an entire blender pitcher full for a mere $3. I would come back here just for the smoothie. The names of the wraps and sandwhiches here are hilarious, Eat Me, Eat Him, Eat Her. I giggled out loud just reading them. Pinky's is open from 7am to 4pm Tuesday through Friday & 11a to 4p Saturday and Sunday. Closed Mondays. Pinky's will also deliver to the beach from 11a to 4p.

Favorite Dish: The Smoothie, although they call them something else. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Kasalta: FANTASTIC BAKERY

by moiraistyx Written Sep 14, 2007

One of the first places I stopped to eat was at Kasalta. Jason and I ended up coming here just about every day for either breakfast or dessert. What can I say, the food here is fantastic. They have every kind of pastery one's heart could desire plus a few I had never heard of. Jason fell head over heels for this one dessert that was a sort of yellow jello/cheese cake like texture. It was extremely tastey. Kasalta also has a great selection of soups, sandwitches, coffees and freshly squeezed juices. Did I also mention the wonderful marzipan treats? Kasalta was a mere half a block away from the guest house we stayed in. How lucky for us. The seating here is very informal, often requiring you to squeeze in between perfect strangers. If you don't like that, you can always get your treats to go. Kasalta is open 7 days a week 6 AM to 10 PM.

Favorite Dish: Don't know what it's called, but it reminded me of a turn over, but square shaped. It was delcious.

UVVA'S: FUSION ON THE BEACH

by moiraistyx Written Sep 14, 2007

One of the yummiest places we stopped at was Uvva's. It's a great eclectic/fushion restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. The restaurant itself is located inside of El Hosteria Del Mar, one of the many guest houses you'll find along the beach. Uvva's serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and is open from 8 AM till 10 PM seven days a week. My favorite part about dining at Uvva's was the atmospher. It was very quiet and relaxed. The sounds of the ocean and the light ocean breeze made the evening great. I also got some great pics of the sun set from our table.

Favorite Dish: I decided to order 3 appetizers as opposed to one main dish that way I could sample a variety of foods. The first thing I got was fried yucca chips with nut crusted goat chesse. It was absolutely delicious. The other item I got was fritters made from rice flour and served up with a blueberry compote. Finally a different kind of fritter served with a mango relish. All three were yummy, yummy, yummy.

Deep Fried Yucca with nut crusted goat cheese, yum sunset from uvva's

• Carli's Place: Check when Carli Munoz is to be there.

by murraysm Written Aug 9, 2007

The real attraction is Carli Munoz himself, an incredible pianist and former band member for the Beach Boys and many other great groups. The food is excellent...a great compliment to the evening of jazz.

Favorite Dish: Seafood is always the best because it's fresh.

• Cruise

• ct-traveler's Profile Photo

Tuscany: Let down: Tuscany (Marriott Hotel)

by ct-traveler Written Jul 28, 2007

I know, I know, why are you eating Italian in PR? Tuscany was recommended in all the local mags and the ambience is second to few.
    The run-down:
    Excellent service, wonderful environment, good bread, HOTEL OR HOSPITAL-QUALITY ENTREES, crazy expensive, definitely NOT "Northern Italian cuisine"

Favorite Dish: The local magazines highly recommended the antipasto, WHICH WAS TERRIBLE! (pre-made, refridgerated, store bought meats, yuck!) Careful when ordering drinks-$$$$$$$$$-two glasses of wine and a DonQ and coke = 30+ dollars!

• ct-traveler's Profile Photo

di Parma: di Parma: super lazy lunch in Condado area

by ct-traveler Written Jul 28, 2007

Great light lunch fare, excellent setting, super friendly staff, solid drinks, very reasonable prices

Favorite Dish: Eat on the patio, split a sandwich with a loved one, try the Mojito, enjoy the park/beach setting with sculptures and fountain

San Juan Hotels

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Sheraton Old San Juan Resort
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: San Juan

Comments

San Juan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Juan locals.
Map of San Juan