Buses, San Juan

Know about this? Rate It!

Gas Station
    San Juan map sign
    Tour bus stand at the dock
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Standing on the corner, waiting for the bus...

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sylvain waiting at the bus stop

When we decided to stay at the Condado Plaza, we were glad to see there was a bus stop just to the right of the main entrance. The concierge informed us that bus B-21 would take us to Old San Juan and that it ran roughly every 20 minutes (75 cents, exact change is needed). Two mornings in a row we sat at the bus stop for about half and hour before finally giving up and walking to Old San Juan. Once the bus finally caught up with us when we were halfway there, but we decided to hop on anyways, if only to enjoy the air conditioning. The ride went very smoothly and even though we hadn't asked, the bus driver told us when we had reached the Old San Juan stop. So when they do show up, buses are a cheap and very convenient way of traveling from the Condado area to Old San Juan.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

RIDE THE BUS

by moiraistyx Written Mar 10, 2009

Jason and I decided to visit Old San Juan during our vacation. We decided to skip the usual cab and ride the bus. As we discovered the buses are a very cheap way to get around San Juan as well as a convenient way. The only draw back is that they are very crowded and they get very hot and smelly. Guys watch out for your girls. I saw several girls get convenient grinded by guys. It was rather disturbing. Lucky for me Jason was a gentleman and let me have the seat and he stood in close to me to keep this from happening to me. The buses are really quick at each stop so keep your eyes open for where you need to go.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Tour Operators

by grandmaR Written Apr 10, 2009

Tour bus stand at the dock

There are many ways to take a tour of San Juan. From a cruise ship, your choices are mostly either walking or a bus.

But there are a lot of other possibilities. The second photo is a sign with a list of them.

In reality, we could have gotten off the ship and picked a tour and seen quite a lot of San Juan and it would have been a lot cheaper than the ship's tour and probably just as good.

But I wanted something more - I wanted ALSO to go to the rain forest. I was on a Puerto Rico board on the internet, and the person who had the best advice recommended someone to me. He wrote:

Marian Balbin is your person. She has her own mini van, so she can drive all over the narrow streets of Old San Juan; larger buses of tour companies can not. She can either bring you to El Yunque and/or Old San Juan. She did not tell me about her fees but only that 1 to 6 people is the same and more than 6 is slightly more.

So I called her and set up for her to pick me up at the ship. The ship got in about 4 hours early so we had time to do both things I wanted to see.

• Cruise