Taxis, San Juan

Know about this? Rate It!

Taxis in San Juan, Puerto Rico
    by Jefie
  • Taxis at airport refused to use their meters

by platinoum Written Dec 10, 2011

I arrived at night in San Juan Airport andi tried to get a taxi. They have meters but the taxi drivers are hidding them. I took a first taxi and when i asked for the meter : i have been pushed out of the taxi.
    I took another one : same problem - no meter possible to get a fair price (normal price). I was forced to take it andi Asked an invoice at arrival : not possible
    IS PORTO RICO REALLY A PART OF USA ???????

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Look for the white vans!

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Taxis in San Juan, Puerto Rico

We were a bit confused when we got to San Juan airport and started looking for a taxi as the only thing we could see were a bunch of white minivans. When I finally decided to take a closer look, I realized that they were in fact taxis! Getting around San Juan by taxi is quite easy (though it's not exactly cheap), especially if you happen to be staying in one of the five touristic zones (airport, Isla Verde, Condado, Old San Juan and Bay of San Juan). There are fixed taxi rates whenever you move from one of these zones to another, though they may charge some extra fees if you're bringing luggage. If you're looking to get back to your hotel from Old San Juan, you'll find the taxi stand near Plaza de Colon, right next to the Teatro Tapia.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Taxis-fixed rate

by Dabs Updated Jan 30, 2011

We normally don't take taxis when we travel but we got in late to San Juan and we had a rather heavy suitcase as we had to pack more than normal for the cruise so we took several taxis in our couple of days there. Taxis are fixed rate if you are traveling from the airport or from the cruise piers, the price depending on what zone you are going from and to, per taxi not per person like other Caribbean ports. It appears that other journeys might be metered but we only took taxis that were a fixed rate. The rates are clearly printed on a sign at the airport, they hand you a rate sheet at the airport with fees clearly printed with most of the hotels listed. The rates are also on the window of most taxis and there is usually someone at the airport or the hotel or cruise port that can tell you how much it should cost. Luggage is $1 extra per piece, currently from the cruise docks to the airport it is $19 plus luggage fees. Night service between 10pm and 6am is $1 extra.

We only asked the driver once how much it was and he quoted a higher price than the guy at the hotel so I told him that I was giving him what the hotel employee said and he shrugged his shoulders, took the money and didn't cause a fuss.

We also got a taxi after we visited the Bacardi factory and the ferry line was ridiculously long because of the festival in Old San Juan, he charged us $10 per person but it was worth it not to have to stand in that line.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

TAXI SERVICE WITH A SMILE

by moiraistyx Written Apr 2, 2009

I took a taxi both to and from my hotel and the airport. I have to say that it was rather cheap, about $10 each way. The drivers helped me load my luggage and unload it at each place. My driver to the hotel took the time to point out restaurants and points of interest to me. I found this very helpful. He also showed me the easiest way to get to the beach and some places to avoid.

Instant Answers: San Juan