Driving at night, San Juan

Know about this?

• Senor Frogs rips you off on your bill

by juliech Written Feb 16, 2009

We were at Senor Frogs on February 10,09.
    We had 2 YD long Islands in the large glasses to take home. The waiter charged $33.18 US for these. We found out later that they are less than $10.00 each.
    We had 2 cokes, 2 glasses of wine, 2 YD long islands and one Quesadia chicken that tasted like fish, and 1 soft taco chicken that tasted like fish.
    The bill came to $81.84, but the waiter also added an additional amount for a total of $93.31.
    I am in the process of refusing this charge on my credit card. I called them and suddenly no one speaks English.
    I have been to many Senor Frogs before, and have enjoyed my time there and the prices were reasonable, and the food was Ok, at least chicken tasted like chicken. As far as I am concerned, they can take the Senor Frog's in SanJuan and bury it!!
    They are ripping off tourists and think they can get away with it.
    Word to the wise, do not go there!

• About the green and red lights at night

by cucuye Written Oct 26, 2013

I am Puerto Rican, born and raised and I would like to elaborate on what another writer stated about people running red lights in the early morning or late at night.
    It is actually a local safety measure, that is allowed by law. When car-jackings became popular several decades ago, it was decided that after midnight and until daylight it is safest to slow down at a red light, flash your headlights and continue on if no one is coming. Car jackers would wait for you to stop at the red light then rob you. Some were not content with just taking your car and valuables, they would stab you as well, even if you did not resist being robbed.
    Now, I have never had the misfortune of being car-jacked but after midnight, especially in the more doubtful areas of the island, I will run the red light along with everyone else, it is just a precaution not bad driving and as I said, perfectly legal. That being said, you are supposed to grant the person with the green light the right of way.
    As a female, I will also not stop at night even for a cop. If a police wants to stop you for speeding or , even more so, for an unknown reason, you motion for them to follow you and drive to the nearest police station. It is not always the case, but, some police officers are not honoring their badge, if you are a female, driving alone, don't risk getting raped. I am sure most cops are very responsible and respectable officers, but they will understand that you did not want to wager a guess.
    I hope not to dissuade you from traveling to PR with these statements. The island has plenty to offer tourists and my people are a lovely, hospitable race, but we have crime just like anyone else. We are also small and crowded, which makes the crime that does exist, seem more prevalent perhaps than in larger countries.

Instant Answers: San Juan