Isla de Vieques Local Customs

Steph missing the frisbee
    by PA2AKgirl
  • I know what I'm getting Steph for Christmas!
    I know what I'm getting Steph for...
  • Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Isla de Vieques

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Need a horse? Hit a horse!

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 1, 2004

I know what I'm getting Steph for Christmas!

Now, I don't know how accurate this is, but I have seen the horses, I have seen the damage to the vehicles, and I have seen people claim the horses as their own, tie them up to their cars, to their porches, ride them into town, everything. Oh, I've seen it all when it comes to wild horses in Vieques (not true, I just wanted to sound like an authority on all things equestrian)

Point of this tip is, rumor has it, if you hit a horse while driving on the road, and it's not branded, you can claim it. I don't know how easy it is to train a wild horse (would the word still be feral? or is that just in reference to cats?) but I can't imagine it's a simple task. Lots of sayings about wild horses (well, I know of one, really) and they seem pretty strong willed.

I thought about it and it would be hard to get the horse home if I traveled to PR and hit a horse while driving in Vieques. I wonder if the same thing applies with the wild cattle that are all over the place there.

But, just remember, the option is there if you hit a horse while driving on the road in Vieques.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

I really wish I had a picture of this...

by PA2AKgirl Updated Mar 28, 2004

In PR, apparently people don't read advertisements, so the government has funded an alternative. These giant utility trucks with huge speakers on the sides that announce everything going on. Specials at restaurants, clubs or stores and they will even announce obituaries as if they are reading from the classified ads in a newspaper. Unfortunately, the volume is so loud you can't understand anything and have to hope to pick stuff up from the vibrations resonating through every structure like morse code. Either than or go to the other side of the island, maybe then you'll understand what's going on. That is, if you understand Spanish.

This happens at the most inconvienent times too, like at 7am.

Drinking:)

by PA2AKgirl Written Mar 27, 2004

Alcohol is allowed everywhere. Stop in the bar and grab a drink and take it with you. Being from Pennsylvania, this is a little unusual, but very liberating. Of course, I've been to New Orleans where this is okay too, but still, I appreciate any place that lets me walk out with my drink.

Medalla is the PR beer--it's okay...for $1.50 or something a can, it's even better:)
    The other beer of choice is Presidente, the beer i heard about and told to drink before my trip. It's from neighboring Dominican Republic. Personally, I like this beer better...it's reminiscent of Corona, in a way. Maybe I was just drunk, don't get one based on my comparisions, just get one because it's good beer:)

This is NOT a martini island--one of the bartenders told me she's made like 3 total. Stick with the beer, rum punch or the shots people will keep putting in your face.

• Beer Tasting

Sundays

by PA2AKgirl Written Mar 26, 2004

Steph missing the frisbee

Sundays in Esperanza for the locals mean Navio Beach. We went out there around noon and they play volleyball, football and other sports on the beach. It's usually an all day event, weather permitting. We had a great time here, though it was the day I got way too much sun. The waves here are much bigger than at some of the other places and the tide really will pull you, so it's definitely advised to stay pretty close to shore. Also, on one side of the beach, there are apparently caves or something, I'm not too sure. But there's some good climbing to do as well.

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Isla de Vieques

Comments

Isla de Vieques Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Isla de Vieques local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Vieques sightseeing.

View all Isla de Vieques hotels