Isla de Vieques Transportation

by liqdstar
    pic taken from the naval base
    by kunchik
  • on the ferry heading to the main island at 6am
    on the ferry heading to the main island...
    by PA2AKgirl

Most Recent Transportation in Isla de Vieques

• Rent a car in Vieques - Avoid Marcos car rental

by osky1900 Written Sep 3, 2010

I rent a car with marcos car rental in august 2010, I returned it the day after, I paid and everything was allright. The surprise came a few days later when I realized at home that they had charged me 500$ extra without let me know and without any reason.
    Avoid them, there are plenty of companies in the island. They are pirates in the car rental business.

• Erika74's Profile Photo

Ferry

by Erika74 Written Jul 22, 2008

Oh my goodness- talk about an adventure.
    We purchased a round trip ticket $4.00 per person on the ferry. This trip is usually 45 min. - 1 hour one way, it took us 90 min. to get there. We should of listed to our inner instinct, the weather had been okay. Light sprinkles, overcast- a tropical depression about 1100 miles east. I managed to keep it in, barf bag in hand.
    We were so nervous about the whole thing, as soon as the ferry made it to dock we got off and back in line to take it back to Fajardo. Make sure you know what the weather could be like.
    Check with the Port Authority.

• Beaches

• liqdstar's Profile Photo

JetBlue & the Ferry

by liqdstar Written Sep 5, 2004

Both times i went to Puerto Rico, I flew Jetblue to the San Juan international airport. always a great experience! The airline is affordable and incredibly polite in terms of customer service.

From San Juan, we took a cab to Fajardo, which cost about $50. Cabs are abundant at the airport, so there's no problem finding one.

From Fajardo, we took the ferry. We actually spent on night in Fajardo, and then took the first ferry out in the morning. I've heard mixed reviews about the ferry, but we had no problems with it at all! First of all, its only $2 each way! The ride is a little over an hour, and everyone had a seat. Overall, it was a pretty comfy ride.
    I know you can also take a flight into VIeques, but the ferry saves $$, and it isn't bad at all!

• liqdstar's Profile Photo

Driving

by liqdstar Written Sep 5, 2004

Road to Blue/Red beach

Driving is absolutely necessary on the island. Remember to reserve the car in advance, as it's a small island and the rental cars are taken pretty fast.

The maps are very easy to follow, and you wont get lost since its such a small island!

Like I said in the other tips, the road to blue and red beach is really rocky. Those beaches are in the area formerly occupied by the navy, so the road isnt paved.
    The road to green beach is even worse!
    Drive slowly!

• Beaches

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

The longer but cheaper way...

by PA2AKgirl Updated Mar 26, 2004

on the ferry heading to the main island at 6am

The other option, if you don't feel like flying in a tiny plane or paying the airfare, is the ferry. For passengers, it's $2.00 one way. However, you have to plan for this because it leaves at 6am or 11:30am and take an hour and 15 mins to reach Fajardo. From there, you need to have transportation to get where you're going. The tourist taxi will take you to San Juan from here, but i believe it's like $75.00. The ferry also goes to Culebra.

The ferry terminal is located in Isabel Segunda in Vieques and outside of Fajardo (it's a little hard to find, you have to go through a run down area and wind around a lot of different streets.

What's most annoying about the ferry is getting off of it. People push and it just ends up taking even longer.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

The less painful way...

by PA2AKgirl Written Mar 26, 2004

you can't be at all afraid of flying:)

There are a few airlines that fly to Vieques from the islands, Fajardo and San Juan. The one we took was Vieques Air Link. It's a little 8 passenger plane, $20 one way or $38 round trip from Fajardo. I think it's $45 one way from San Juan. It's a 10 minute flight from Fajardo and sometimes, if you ask you can sit up with the pilot! All you have to do is go into the airport and ask for a flight or call the number and they'll get you on. There is really no problem getting a flight, they will fly you out when they have enough people and make sure no one is left behind.

• kunchik's Profile Photo

Rent a car ahead of time!!!

by kunchik Written Mar 7, 2003

pic taken from the naval base

A car is a great (and maybe the only) way to get around the island and see everything. Driving is relaxed and easy. Just make sure you reserve one ahead of time...they're limited on such a small island (especially if you need automatic, not standard).

Instant Answers: Isla de Vieques

Comments

Isla de Vieques Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla de Vieques transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Vieques sightseeing.

View all Isla de Vieques hotels