Saint Lucia Local Customs

Another man past the bus in front of us
    by grandmaR
    Talking to someone on the bus
    Locals by the water

• THE FLAG OF SAINT LUCIA

When my guide first started to explain the Saint Lucia Flag to me, he said it was beautiful. I kept thinking that it was more interesting than beautiful. As he explained I started to realise that the natural beauty of the island it represents and the meanings of the design really are beautiful. The flag was designed by a local artist named Dunstan...

• Rum Punch

I love Rum Punch. From the minute I first tried one I was in love. Each island has its own version of Rum Punch and I love trying a new version when I travel. I have to say that the Rum Punch here on St. Lucia has been one of my favorites during my travels. Maybe it is their particular local Rum; but it is the best and a must try when visiting the...

• Try a local brew!

I'm not a big beer drinker. But, after having a couple of rum-punches out in the sun, these tasted just dee-licious!

• Bounty Rum

The national Rum of St. Lucia is Bounty. The rum has been enjoyed by islanders since 1972. During our trip we enjoyed several rum drinks made with Bounty that were very good. The Rum makes a nice gift for the folks back home and is available duty free in the towns, resorts and airport shops.

• Piton Lager

Piton Lager is the local brew of St. Lucia. It's brewed and bottled on the island and is raher good.During our last visit to St. Lucia I enjoyed many Piton while at the pool or beach. It's light and refreshing when laying out in the heat.

• Ask don't remain silent on buses

When taking the bus at any point on the island, it's best to tell the driver where you are going before sitting on the bus, that way when he gets to your destination he can stop for you, or if you already know the stop ask the bus to stop when you get to a certain point by saying "bus stop" or "stopping here".Also check the price list stuck inside...

• Washing clothes in the river

We were told by our taxi driver that often the women wash clothes in the rivers (like in other countries I've visited). He said this when we were driving through Souffriere, and the river would still be warm from the hotsprings, up river. I'm not sure if he meant only the women in Souffriere, or all over the island. I suspect it's island-wide.

• Block party, Gros Islet

this fishing village, not far from the Rex Hotel, transforms itself every Friday night into a colorful carnival scene, featuring soca and reggae music and a "jump up" (dancing in the streets).It can be a very crowded place and some times you may not feel safe. Don't bring much with you and you should be o.k.We went there and it was o.k nothing...

• Market in Castries

For an adventure straight out of National Geographic, go see the piles exotic fruits and veggies at the Castries Market and Vendors Arcade. In the centre of the capital is Derek Walcott Square, named after St Lucia's Nobel Prize for Literature winner.

Saint Lucia Hotels

See nearby hotels
Anse La Raye Hotels
2 Reviews - 19 Photos

Instant Answers: Saint Lucia

Comments

Saint Lucia Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Saint Lucia local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Lucia sightseeing.
Map of Saint Lucia