Fun things to do in Saint Lucia

by canuckmike

Most Viewed Things to Do in Saint Lucia

Take a Volcanic Mud Bath

by cjg1 Updated Nov 3, 2011

Taking a mud bath was one of the attractions during our Son of Man Tour. The Mud was a thick black Orange colr and had a sulphur smell to it. We all took turns grabbing mud and smearing it all over ourselves and each other. By the time we were done we looked like extras from an Indian Jones movie.As the mud dried it turned a light gray color which only enhanced our comical apearance.

From here we made our way into the Sulphur Springs for a "HOT" dip in the water to wash off the mud. When I say "HOT" I mean absolutely scalding. I was sunburned at the time and it felt as if I was being boiled alive. Once accustomed to the temperature it is still quite hot; too hot to linger for long. We then jumped out and took a nice cold outdoor shower to wash off the residual mud.

I thought this was a different and interesting experience but I don't know if I would do it again.

Toraille Waterfall

by cjg1 Updated Nov 3, 2011

The Toraille Waterfall was one of the stops on our Son of Man Tour. The Waterfall is a small one at 50 feet in height but is a natural heritage site for St. Lucia. The waterfall is located in Soufriere on the main road to the Fond St Jacques rain forest.

We visited the falls after our mud bath and Sulphur Spring experience. At this point in the day I was pooped from the heat and the sun and decided to sit sidelines as my wife and our friends frolicked in the waterfall and swam.

My wife said the water is very cool and refreshing but you definitely should have watershoes. The bottom of the waterfall is verty rocky, slippery and uneven; making it hard to walk without falling or tripping.

Ready for the Waterfall

The Incredible Pitons

by cjg1 Updated Nov 3, 2011

The Pitons are a main attraction when visiting St. Lucia. The Pitons are two volcanic plugs that seem to rise out of the water. The larger Piton is called the Gros Piton and is 771meters. The smaller Piton is called the Petit Piton and is 743 meters in height.

We had incredible views of the Pitons during our Son of Man tour. Seeing them from the water is incredible….these big green peaks jutting out of the crystal blue water. You can actually climb the Pitons if you are adventurous…but I’ll pass. We had friends who hiked up the Petit Piton and swore that was the first and last time; it was very difficult.

St. Lucia Animal Protection Society

by cjg1 Updated Nov 2, 2011

Stray animals are abundant in St. Lucia. At our resort in particular there was a number of stray cats living on the property. It was so sad to see these animals living under bushes, tables and in the sand. Some were very thin; looking for food and attention. It broke our hearts to see these small creatures in such a sad state. We spent alot of time feeding the cats from our leftover meals. Despite my pleading my wife had to pet them and said they were very clean considering their living conditions; and were very happy to be touched. It was very hard to see cats so neglected and unloved...especially since we have a kitten at home that we spoil greatly.

At the end of the week we found out that some of the resort staff put food out for the cats on a daily basis; so some of them at least the fast ones to the food dish were getting fed. During a trip to Marigot Bay we found an Animal Protection Society Drop box for donations. We decided to donate some money for the animals of St. Lucia. The society rescues strays; neuters and spays them, gives vaccinations and finds homes for them. It made me feel better knowing someone on the island is looking out for the animals.

Kitties on one of the restaurant chairs My wife's favorite kitty So cute Just lounging I'm hungry

The Red Lane Spa

by cjg1 Updated Nov 1, 2011

The Red Lane Spa is the signature spa of the Sandals/Beaches Resorts. My wife and I are familiar with the Spa from our visits to Beaches Turks & Caicos. The Spa has a wide variety of treatments: massage, wraps, hydrotherapy, nail treatments, facials, body scrubs and hair care.

Vacation isn’t vacation without indulging in a trip to the Spa. I have to admit my wife has gotten me hooked on massages so I never say no when she books us some Spa time.
    Our Butler Donovan booked us a Scents of Love Couples Massage on the last Friday of our trip. We had a little bit of sunburn earlier in the trip and waited until we were lest crispy before we had a massage.

The Spa at the resort was located at the far side of the resort in a private tree shaded area. I immediately liked the location; as it was away from the noise and activity of the beach and main pool. Upon walking through the stone entrance we were greeted by staff and walked through the doors to reception. We were told to be seated at one of the couches and handed a clipboard. The clipboard had the basic health questions to answer regarding illness, medications, and injuries etc. that might impact or interfere with a spa treatment.

My wife and I were then separated to change, shower and store our belongings. Before being brought to the couples massage room we were asked by our masseuse a phrase we wanted them to whisper to our partner at the conclusion of our treatment. Time seemed to fly by as every muscle tension and knot was smoothed out. By the end of the massage I felt like a zombie I was so relaxed.

After the massage we were then brought to the lounge area (men and women separated). From here I relaxed and enjoyed some fruit infused water before hitting the steam room and shower. My wife skipped the steam room and hit the showers. She loved the hair products in the Spa but unfortunately they were not for sale. We inquired but were told it was for professional use only.

We left the Spa feeling so relaxed it was amazing we didn’t take a nap right there and then.

Waiting for Our Couples Massage Entrance to the Spa

Take an Dip in the Pavillion Pool

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2011

The main pool at The Regency La Toc was the biggest of the three pools on the property as well as the busiest. The pool is located right by the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch; The Pavilion. The pool is very large with a section of rocks and waterfalls. Along the pool edge are plenty of lounge chairs as well as umbrellas for shade.

Three of our days at the resort were spent at this pool bar. We were fortunate to be staying in a Butler suite and one of the many perks was reserved pool chairs. Our butler’s would select chairs for us (we told them umbrella section with shade) and put our name and room number on them. They also decorated the with towel animals which were cute. In the later morning around 10am they delivered a cooler full of our preferred beverages: Piton beer, bottled water and a tasty Guava Pineapple juice my wife adored.

The pool really gets going around 10am when the music starts pumping and the pool bar opens. The pool bar has a large board hanging over it with a large selection of themed cocktails and frozen drinks. Our first full day at the pool bar I managed to work my way through half of the menu with my friend Chris. Karen tried a variety of cocktails but was very happy to find they made Bushwackers; one of her favorites. My wife tried a few new drinks but mostly kept it tame since she doesn’t have a big tolerance for alcohol. Despite what I had read in reviews; the drinks here are good and full of liquor not watered down at all.

I have to say some of my favorites were the Dirty Banana, Rum Punch, No Worries, Mudslide, Lucian Dream and the St Lucia Sunrise. My wife loved their Mango Dacquiri and the Rum Punch. The Rum Punch at this resort is excellent; the best I have had anywhere to date. The pool bar is a great way to meet other guests, relax and have a great time in the water while enjoying a cocktail.

My wife floating away... Time for a Rum Punch Another beautiful day in St. Lucia ENjoying the beautiful pool

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Jalousie Beach

by Dabs Updated Feb 20, 2011

Our guide told us the only way to get to Jalousie Beach was by boat so we were a little surprised to see a van pull up, he then amended the statement to say that only guests of the Jalousie Plantation resort were allowed to come in by car.

All of the beaches in St. Lucia are public, some of the amenities on the beach are reserved for the resort's guests but can be had for an additional fee or there are some sun loungers that are there for non resort guests.

It's a nice beach, snuggled in between the two Pitons, where you can relax on the beach or snorkel in an area free from the motor boats that come in to drop off passengers.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Spencer Ambrose Tours

by Dabs Written Feb 20, 2011

When we travel by cruise ship, I always check the forums at www.cruisecritic.com to see what people recommend for one day in port, Spencer Ambrose Tours was one that was frequently mentioned. I contacted them via email and they responded within a day or so, no deposit was required. We were met just outside the duty free area by Spencer's brother "Small" after which our group piled into a van for the island tour. Along the way we stopped at several places for photos, sampled some local foods like fresh creole bread, pulled off the road to see where bananas were grown. We stopped at the ____ to see the volcano and drove through a couple of small fishing villages before taking a motor boat to Jalousy Beach where we spent about 1 1/2 hours eating lunch and snorkeling before heading back by boat to the cruise ship.

The few minor issues we had with the tour didn't spoil our day but bear mentioning, the 1st was that our tour was delayed by 1/2 hour waiting for someone who didn't show up and caused the rest of our day to be a bit rushed, the 2nd was that the price quoted to us was $65 per person but as they pulled up to the boat dock they said that most people preferred to go back by boat rather than van and that was an extra $20 per person (if the tour costs $85, tell me upfront) and the 3rd was that they dropped us at the wrong cruise dock when we got back, only realized after the boat pulled away with a couple of our shipmates aboard. It was 15-20 minutes to walk back to the ship. I understand the logic behind all of it but after going on such well organized tours in Antigua and Barbados, it was pretty noticeable.

• peliason's Profile Photo

Cruise and Hike

by peliason Written Nov 21, 2010

So many things to do in St. Lucia, so it was hard to pack it all into a single excursion, but we tried :-)

We signed up for a cruise that took us by boat to the twin peaks (they're really awesome), and there we had lunch and went hiking (just a small hike, nothing difficult), and went on a short bus tour. Then we got back on the boat and boozed it up (for free) all the way home. It was an awesome way to pack a lot of things into a single day.

We stayed at the Sandals Regency, so the front desk helped us book this excursion. I'm sure the front desk can help you book something similar as well from whatever hotel/resort you're staying at, too.

• Spa and Resort

• bswanwick's Profile Photo

"The Tour"

by bswanwick Updated Nov 19, 2010

All beaches in St. Lucia are public domain. The beaches at Sandals are no exception. Upon our first arrival to the beach we were approached, several times, by tour guides. What did we pay them? I think, we paid $100pp/US. This was to include a tour of the western coast, snorkeling in a marine reserve, a tour of the volcanoe/caldera, lunch and rum punch.

It was the highlight of our entire honeymoon!!!

I don't want to give away too much, but if you are approached by Elijah of Exodus Tours and he tells you about the tour and lunch at his momma's house I suggest you go. It was fun, safe, and well worth the money spent. This was by far the best meal I had the on the island. All creole home cooking! The boat captain, Vincent, drove us to the bank earlier that week so we could withdraw some cash. And even though I had my guard set on RED ALERT during the trip to the bank it turned out to be okay.

Warm waterfall heated by volcano, on the tour Marigot bay as seen from the tour boat Caldera on the tour. Made famous in Pirates of the Caribbean, on tour. Our Captain, Vincent and our guide, Clydel
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• debcox's Profile Photo

Custom Adventure Tours...Soufriere has it all!

by debcox Written May 22, 2010

Soufriere is the best side of the island to spend your vacation, as this former capital is home to many of St. Lucias most sought after sightseeing attractions. Soufriere has it all, from Mountain climbing, horseback riding on the beach or at an old estate, trekking through nature trails covered with leaves and rich soil, seeing St. Lucias culture in this small town and mingling with the locals is what you call island adventure.

Some of the other activities were further away from Soufriere, which would be the northern or southern part of St. Lucia. But this did not stop us, we arranged transfers with Real St. Lucia Tours and while driving made other stops.

• Hiking and Walking

• Lyton's Profile Photo

St Lucia Travel Tip

by Lyton Written Nov 14, 2009

Like the above poster rightly said, he hasn't been to St Lucia in Several years so allot of what he said is outdated. The truth is St Lucia is the most beautiful Island in the Caribbean and is often chosen above other Island to host several activities during the year.

St Lucia has Several activities to keep you happy and satisfied. If you are looking for great beaches, good food, night life and culture then this partly describes some of the things you can get to do in St Lucia.

St Lucia is full of Night life. In fact you will get several communities hosting night parties like fish fiesta where you can sample great sea foods like Lambi, lobster, crab, just to name a few along with great local dishes.

St Lucias' culture is displayed everywhere. You will find great artistry at the Castries Market and other art museums towards the North of the Island. St Lucia has really great history and if you are ever in St Lucia toward the ending of October, you get to see all of it on display in different locations that has been chosen to host its annual Jounen Kweyol activities.

The main language spoken in St Lucia is English but we also speak Kweyol (patoi) which is widely used around the Island.

We also have great and tasty dishes. If you want to sample local dishes, you can visit the Castries market or various restaurants. Even the famous Paula Dean from the international TV show Food Network speaks highly of our dishes here.

Our beaches are lovely and some of them are easily accessible while others are harder to find but all of them are simply breath taking. One of the most popular beaches in St Lucia is the Reduit beach and it has been voted the best beach in the Caribbean by a UK magazine.

There are also several things to do in St Lucia.

You can get to go scuba diving, Snorkeling, swimming on it's lovely beaches, zip-ling, Rain forest sky rides, ATV tours, kayaking, turtle watching, visiting the many waterfalls and bathing there, Water sports, going to the street parties, taking helicopter excursions to have the best view of St Lucia, Adventure by Jeep safari, Nature and other special interest tours, Hiking, yachting, whale watching, deep sea fishing just to name a few.

St Lucia also has a number of festivals at different time of the year to keep visitors continuously coming back. The St Lucia Jazz festival is by no means second to none, how about our annual food and rum festival which has top chefs from all over the world coming to try out our foods and rum.

Check out http://www.st-lucia-vacation-guide.com

• Beaches

Anse Chastanet

by bsfreeloader Updated Oct 27, 2009

Anse Chastanet is a black sand beach located north of Soufriere. From Soufriere, it’s an easy 30 minute walk along the northern coastal road to the beach. The beach is best known for its offshore scuba diving and snorkeling. The entire area is a marine reserve, and there is a long reef running from 5 to 25 feet deep on the shallow end. This area offers arguably the best snorkeling in all of St. Lucia and some of the best in the Caribbean.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

Edmund Forest Reserve

by bsfreeloader Written Oct 18, 2009

Even if you aren’t into birding, you’ll probably enjoy hiking around the Edmund Forest Reserve. Covering more than 19,000 acres and stretching from one side of the island to the other, the dense tropical rain forest is home to numerous species of exotic flowers and plants, not to mention the previously mentioned birds. The biggest trick is arranging transportation to and from the reserve. Also know that even if you want to hike alone you must pay for a naturalist or forest officer to guide you.

• Hiking and Walking

Birding

by bsfreeloader Written Oct 18, 2009

As home to at least five endemic species and several Caribbean endemics, St. Lucia is on a par with Dominica as perhaps the best overall birding destination in the Lesser Antilles. The five endemics (St. Lucia Parrot, St. Lucia Black Finch, St. Lucia Oriole, St. Lucia Pewee, St. Lucia Warbler) all can be found in the Edmund Forest Reserve east of Soufriere (Semper’s Warbler, another St. Lucia endemic, was last definitely seen in 1961 along the Barre de l’Isle ridge and is probably extinct). Other species of note found in the reserve include Grey Trembler, Purple-throated Carib, Antillean Crested Hummingbird, Lesser Antillean Flycatcher, Lesser Antillean Saltator, Lesser Antillean Bullfinch, Scaly-breasted Thrasher, and Rufous-throated Solitaire. Birding the reserve and a few of the other publicly accessible sites, such as Pigeon Island National Park, should yield a list close to 50 species.

Lesser Antillean Flycatcher Purple-throated Carib St. Lucia Pewee St. Lucia Warbler Lesser Antillean Saltator
    • Birdwatching

See nearby hotels
Anse La Raye Hotels
2 Reviews - 19 Photos

Instant Answers: Saint Lucia

Comments

Saint Lucia Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Saint Lucia things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Lucia sightseeing.
Map of Saint Lucia