Tourist Attractions in Saint Lucia

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Saint Lucia

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

vendors

by iam1wthee Written Mar 19, 2008

Many street vendors can be aggressive and some may get you to buy things you really do not want. A firm "No" will get them off your back. Besides their prices are higher than what is in the craft market and their jewelry is uglier.

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

Watch for the duty free.

by crazygal59 Written Feb 10, 2007

Everyone thinks duty free means it's a better deal than at home. This is not always the case. When planning on buying expensive jewellery away from home, know your prices before you leave. We found many items were still cheaper at home than away, even with duty free.

Shop with caution.

The World's Only Drive-in Volcano

by KnMYoung Written Jul 21, 2006

This is not a trap in the sense that we feel it wasn't worth going to see. We were just expecting something a little different than what we saw. It sounded like we would be driving into a hole in the side of a mountain to see a pit of lava. But it is actually just a few bubbling and steaming puddles out in the open. The smell is like rotten eggs for those of you who don't know what Sulfur smells like. But I am certainly not sorry we went because it was still interesting to see and I would recommend the tour to anyone. I just wanted to help people from feeling let down if they had the same expectation of what it would be like that we did.

A Typical Night w/ My Husband!  :-) Lava Pool Steam from Volcano Steam from Volcano
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• KnMYoung's Profile Photo

Don't buy souvenirs from locals at the resort

by KnMYoung Updated Jul 21, 2006

There are usually locals wandering around the beach in front of every resort. They are not allowed on the property but the beach is public access. They will try to sell you jewelry, hats, etc. at MUCH higher prices than you could buy the same thing in town. They know you probably have no basis for comparison to figure out you are being ripped off. I bought a necklace made from volcanic rock from a guy who made it sound like I would only be able to get such a necklace from him. Once we went on tours of the island, I found the same necklace in every store and with every other peddler for up to half the price.

Unique Suggestions: If you end up buying something from one of these peddlers, at least negotiate his prices.

Fun Alternatives: Go to the resort souvenir shop as an alternative.

• KnMYoung's Profile Photo

Pictures of locals will cost ya!

by KnMYoung Written Jul 21, 2006

If a local catches you taking their picture, they will harrass you to pay them for it. We saw this man climbing a palm tree to get coconuts and I couldn't resist taking his picture. He hunted for me on the beach and cut the coconut open so we could drink the milk. After all of this he demanded $10.00 which we of course refused to give him. If we'd known he wanted money we would have turned him away when he approached us. Another local was pulling fish from his net and a group of us took his picture. He immediately put his hand out for money. I left before he could get to me. Another guy came up to my husband came up to my husband and said, "I'll climb that rock over there if you give me $10.00." to which my husband responded, "You give me $10.00 and I'll go climb the rock." Needless to say he didn't find it funny and left us alone.

Unique Suggestions: If you take a picture of a local, try to do it without being spotted. Or at least do it with a group so you can duck out while they are hitting someone else up for money.

Native climbing a palm tree He cut a coconut open so we could drink the milk

• SAVE HUNDREDS ON TOURS

by Patzilla Written Feb 15, 2006

Most resorts while offer a variety of tours for you to go on for example volcano tour, rainforest, liqour distillery and they have the nerve to charge you about 70 dollars us per tour. We found a great taxi driver and we gave him 100 dollars US and he took us to every single place we wanted to go, not to mention he gave us tons of information about everything, culturally and personally and even let us smoke ganja in the taxi along the way. We ended up saving about 500 dollars.

• LisaMJ's Profile Photo

Smelly Suplhur Springs

by LisaMJ Written Sep 15, 2004

I think unless you have an interest in Geology, I wouldn't recommend a special trip soley to see the Sulphur Springs.

We considered doing a trip where the Sulphur Springs was the only thing in the itinerary, but I'm glad we didn't.

It is interesting to find out about the history of the site, the previous happenings theres etc, but if it's a hot day (which it most likely will be!) then it's quite an uncomfortable expereicne with the suplhur smells. It's worth a short stop perhaps, but try to incorporate into a day trip: We did a cataraman half circumnavigation tour of St Lucia, and amngst 4 or 5 things was a stop at the Sulphur Springs - so there were lots of other things that we enjoyed during the day.

Also, as soon as you disembark your mini van - the vendors wil soar towards you, when we were there, they were mainly selling beaded necklaces etc.

We bought 2 necklaces, and as we were buying, each other vendor would have the exact same necklace and offer it at a cheaper price.

Fun Alternatives: Incorproate a visit to the sulphur springs into a full day trip of St Lucia - that way it shouldn't be a let down.

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

The Gros Islet Jump up. We...

by whitneyone Written Sep 12, 2002

The Gros Islet Jump up. We really enjoy culture, local people, fun and dancing especially if it's at night and outdoors, but we really must have missed the point of this. We stayed for an hour and a half, which was about a half hour too long, and then got into an altercation with a street artist. Maybe that tainted our experience. Nice to see that all of the taxi drivers came to our rescue, although we never felt in physical danger.

Saint Lucia Hotels

• Windjammer Landing Beach And Villa...

If you are looking for an elegant resort with spectacular views of the Caribbean and the island, the...

• Jade Mountain Resort

See nearby hotels
Anse La Raye Hotels
2 Reviews - 19 Photos

Instant Answers: Saint Lucia

Comments

Saint Lucia Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Saint Lucia tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Lucia sightseeing.
Map of Saint Lucia