Grand Bahama Island Sports & Outdoors

Dee putting on Grand Bahama Golf Course

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Grand Bahama Island

Nothing Quite as Exhilarating as Beach Volleyball

Beach Activities in Bahamas

I've always loved this photograph of my daughter Jill when we were spending Christmas Vacation on the Grand Bahama Island at Club Fortuna Resort.

Jill and some of the others in the photograph were just getting ready to play a rousing game of beach volleyball. Because I've been watching the Olympics in Athens and 2-person volleyball, I remembered this photo.

The resort offered a multitude of activities for the beach, and probably the most popular activity for most of the teens and twenty somethings was BEACH VOLLEYBALL.

It was just as much fun to watch as to play. Amazingly, the girls were just as good as the guys (And I'm talking about athletic guys!) If you have never played the game, you might not realize that to play on sand is much more difficult because of the "pull" you feel on your legs.

Needless to say, in the ten days that we were there, we played and watched lots of Beach Volleyball.

Equipment: You need a volleyball net, a volleyball, determined boundaries, and players. It's also a good idea to have a referee.

Barefoot is the way to play with comfortable, loose-fitting clothing or bathing suits. Most people wear a hat or sunglasses for eye protection. Another good idea is to wear sun-protection lotion because the sun rays are quite powerful in the Bahamas.

• Adventure Travel
    • Beaches

Premier Destination for Sportfishing

Two Fish Dee Caught in Bahamas

In the 1970's, Allan and I went sportfishing. We hired the Mayor of the West End whose name is Bonefish Foley. It was simply a rowboat with a motor.

Allan and I made a bet of who would catch the most fish, the first fish, and the biggest fish. I won in all three categories.

I now realize that Bonefish maneuvered the boat in such a way that I would win. As you can see, this is back in the days when I looked good in a two piece bathing suit, and the largest fish that I caught took about half an hour to reel in. I had the pole anchored in my naval so I received a huge bruise there.

In the Grand Bahama waters, you can catch marlin, sailfish, blue and yellowfin tuna, bonefish, barracuda, and red snapper

We caught lots of red snapper and a few barracuda. We took enough red snapper back to the condo to prepare a hearty dinner. The rest of the fish, including the barracuda, we gave to our guide, Bonefish Foley. He had about eight or nine children to feed.

The best time to go fishing is between April and September; however, winter is a good time also.

Equipment: You need a boat, a good guide, a pole, and bait. You don't have to have much if you hire a good guide; he/she will supply all that you need.

• Fishing

Environmentally Safe and Fun

Allan & Dee Kayaking

Grand Bahama offers a host of activities for the environmentally sensitive, and kayaking is one of them. While staying at the Fortuna Beach Resort, we tried our luck at kayaking.

It turned out to be a great adventure. First of all, the non-motorized activities are free at the resort, and the staff takes the time to teach novices the proper fundamentals of the activity. After a few attempts, I got "the hang of it", and was able to keep up with Allan.

What makes Kayaking so much fun is the sheer joy of controlling your own route, speed, and time. Allan and I were like children as we raced, dodged, and laughed at our own inadequacies. In addition, kayaking is an easy way to really "see" the environment without destroying it. The water was so clear that we could enjoy the fish and other sea creatures pretty close up.

Don't be fooled--kayaking is not as easy as it looks. It takes strength and endurance, and if you maneuver incorrectly, your back really suffers the next day.

I strongly advise you to try this eco-adventure.

Equipment: At Club Fortuna, all the equipment was provided free of charge. You need a kayack, life vest, hat, sunglasses, and tennis shoes.

I might add, you need to wear plenty of sun screen for your own protection from the intense sunrays in the Grand Bahamas.

• Beaches
    • Kayaking

Keeping Focused While Golfing is a Challenge

Dee putting on Grand Bahama Golf Course

It's been too long ago (1992) for me to remember the name of the golf club, and I did not keep the score card as I usually do.

That's unfortunate because Allan reminded me that it was one of my best games ever.

The courses on the Grand Bahama Island are magnificent. It's difficult to concentrate and to focus on the game because of the sheer beauty of this beautiful island.

Our cart broke down on the seventh hole, and another golfer drove back to the club house to inform the staff. Immediately, two staff members brought us a cart, and the rental charge was dropped.

The course was immaculate, well groomed and with "lightening fast" greens. The sand in the traps were as white and fluffy as the marvelous sand on the beach.

All-in-all, it was a pleasure and a challenge to golf here.

Equipment: f you did not bring equipment (which we did not), then you have to rent your equipment. I remember that it was an expensive game of golf when we added up rental and golf fees. Our rental equipment included "pared down" set of golf clubs, golf bag, and golf cart. We purchased glove, golf balls, and tees.

You need to wear proper attire: Golf shirt with collar, golf shorts or skirt or slacks, hat, and sunglasses. Be sure to wear sun screen protection.

• Golf

Instant Answers: Grand Bahama Island

Comments

Grand Bahama Island Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Grand Bahama Island sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Bahama Island sightseeing.

View all Grand Bahama Island hotels