Nassau, The Bahamas

Know about this? Rate It!

Bahamas
    by XKuger
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Colonial look

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

Favorite thing: My brief visit to Bahamas was... excelent.

The first impression was the contrast between the expected american way of life, and the british colonial look of the reality (even driving in the left hand).

A taxi circuit along the island made me feel in Africa, and that was a stupend sensation.

"America" was in the other side, in Paradise Island, that artificial Eden finally matching my expectations.

Bahamas
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Close but super expensive

by XKuger Written Nov 19, 2007

Favorite thing: I would most definitly say that there is a lot more to the Bahamas than my experience. All I had to deal with was bad service, over expensive food, mediocre place and crappy weather (not anyone's mistake)

Fondest memory: Most definitly the huge resort of the Atlantis is most definitly the largest resort I have ever been anywhere.

night view Cruise Ships The Atlantis from Comfort Suites.

• PilotGal's Profile Photo

Be A Local For A Day

by PilotGal Written Nov 10, 2006

Favorite thing: Eat like the local's! There's this little area of Nassau, underneath Potter's Cay Bridge, which the Locals call, "The Docks." Ask any cab driver. The locals go there to get their bowl of fish stew, or some conch fritters. Take your camera with you. The docks are a very colorful bunch of wooden shacks that house locals that will cook you up some fresh seafood. Grab a stool, a cold beer, and tell them exactly what you're in the mood for. One place, "Scorched Conch" was a place where we found Donnie, behind the counter, smashing fresh garlic into sour orange juice with scotch bonnet peppers at the bottle of the bottle. We grabbed a stool and began to order scorched conch and conch salad. Drank a cold beer and watched him yank the conch out of the shell, and mix with all kinds of fresh ingredients. Served it to us in about 10-15 min, depending on how many times he asked us to "taste" the broth. Don't forget your camera!

Fondest memory: I loved all the fish tanks on the grounds of Atlantis. Every trail you took, took you to some place that had fish tanks. There was this restaurant in the middle of Atlantis where you go thru a tunnel to view fish. The beaches were pretty. One local beach to go to is Cabbage Beach. Be sure to take a cooler and go spend the day. Excellent snorkeling.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Beaches

Enjoy the great weather

by Simonneeddy Updated Mar 14, 2003

Favorite thing: Enjoy the great weather,the beaches,the sun and of course the rum.This picture was taken in front of a house that we rented and lived in for a while. it was near the ocean front and a good ways from town at the opposite end of the island from the airport.
    WE were 5 guys and had a native house lady who did our washing, cleaning and cooking.

Fondest memory: Those big cool drinks in the ocean front bar after a day at the airport.

EDDY 21 years old

• Simonneeddy's Profile Photo

Go swimming at Paradise Beach....

by Simonneeddy Updated Nov 28, 2002

Favorite thing: Go swimming at Paradise Beach. SEE PHOTO Today there are huge Resort Hotels there. When I was there there was nothing but beach.

Fondest memory: The hot weather after a cold flight from Canada in the rear of a unheated B 24 bomber, dressed in a heavy fleece lined flying suit and helmet.------------------The gal was selling fruit but under the fruit was a bottle of RUM which was really what she sold us. This was our second day in Nassau and we had gone to Paradise beach on a rented sail boat and spent a few enjoyable hours there after our trip from Montreal in the back of an unheated B24 Bomber. Unlike today it was deserted and no Hotels there. The sand was so white and fine and the water so blue. We got sunburned also.

At Paradise Beach

• corey07's Profile Photo

Walk around and explore...

by corey07 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Walk around and explore Nassaus Collonial Architecture.. you will find places and houses you might wish to live in for the whole year..

Fondest memory: Rudolph, the Rednose Raindeer as an endless tape on the Beach-Bar with waitors dressed like Santa Claus
    while you were swaeting slightly...weird

• dreamworld's Profile Photo

I did an excursion from Nassau...

by dreamworld Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I did an excursion from Nassau to a secluded place called Rose Island (the beach picture comes from there...)
    NASSAU itself is a pleasant city, with of course hundreds of tourist shops dedicated mainly to those people coming from cruises and anchoring in the huge marina. One thing is sure, nothing is cheap in the Bahamas
    >>> the picture shows the Supreme Court building of the Bahamas

Fondest memory: Honestly, the main reason for me to come here was...SCUBA DIVING...and I did some. One great place really worth to go for scuba is what they call 'blue holes' (circular deeper water geologic curiosity)

• rkyle2's Profile Photo

rkyle2's General Tip

by rkyle2 Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: I didn't see any tourist other than myself actually talking to the people who were offering to braid hair, sell starfish or shirts or sea shells on the sea shore. I think if you were seen standing around talking, it was assumed you were making a deal to smoke some ganja. I guess that is why Customs did a thorough body search of my person before letting me back on the ship. While still on the beach, a lady asked if I wanted a braid and beads in my hair. I said no. But since I had been letting my goatee grow rather long, I asked if she could braid and bead my goatee. Five minutes after hearing, 'Well, o' course, mon,' I had seven braids, each with a clear orange bead at the bottom. (I've since cut the two outside braids off to leave five easy-conversation-starters hanging from my chin.)

• dine at Greycliffe Restaraunt...

by kcufi Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: dine at Greycliffe Restaraunt for the most elegant meal of your life. located on nassau. for ultimate relaxation,try renting a house on one of the out islands. Dive for lobster and swim in the most beautiful waters in the oceans . all this is accomplished with minimal effort on the ole pc.

Fondest memory: Late nite ocean swim with my wife under a star filled sky,the moon was a cresent tilted on its axis and the world was aglow with astrange luminescence.Standing neck deep in the nite surf as it rolled slowly in, we could see our feet in the sand, even at that late hour.INCREDIBLE SERENITY!Long island, Bahamas.

• DesertRat's Profile Photo

DesertRat's General Tip

by DesertRat Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: poke around the small streets around the harbor and, especially, the area around the Straw Market. It's just plain fun. Nassau's small and walkable, which is always a help.

Photo: The Straw Market at the port

• have some fun at the staw...

by parks Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: have some fun at the staw market shopping! I bought 2 beauiful silver bracelets for $10.00! The deals are great! The beaches at Paradise Island are some of the best! The locals are great !

Fondest memory: I miss the attitude! They have a great sense of priority! Everything gets done, but no one is in a hurry or streessed out! LOVE IT!

• Simonneeddy's Profile Photo

Duke of WINDSOR (Governor of the Islands)

by Simonneeddy Updated Sep 10, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Gardens at The Royal Victoria Hotel.

Fondest memory: Seeing The X King of England 'Edward' on several occasions and Mrs. Simpson the Lady he abdicated his throne for to wed.
    The Duke and Duchess of Windsor

Duke and Duchess

• Randall_Burt's Profile Photo

Walking around the Nassau...

by Randall_Burt Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Walking around the Nassau Area. Lots to see. From Lighthouses, fishing boats , Cruise ships and people.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Nassau, like every other port...

by seagoingJLW Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Nassau, like every other port in the Caribbean wants the same thing. Can you guess what it is? The sign on the store tells it all.

Sign

• mmanchack's Profile Photo

mmanchack's General Tip

by mmanchack Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Spending a week away from the cold North Carolina winter was such a treat. Spending a fun, relaxing, and romantic week with my sweetheart in the Caribbean made it even better!

Instant Answers: The Bahamas