Great Guana Cay Warnings and Dangers

Poison Wood Tree on Guana Cay, Abaco
    George, the Barracuda, Guana Cay, Abaco
  • Pool Rules at Guana Sunset Resort, Guana Cay, Abac
    Pool Rules at Guana Sunset Resort, Guana...

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Great Guana Cay

Relax, It's George!

by travelgirl3 Written Jul 20, 2005

George, the Barracuda, Guana Cay, Abaco

One day, we took a snorkle trip to Fowl Cay Preserve with Dive Guana, owned by Troy Albury. The day trip is exceptional, and I would highly recommend it. However.... After we had been snorkling around for a while, my husband and I went off to look at some interesting coral he had seen. I happened to look over to my right, and saw this guy, about 4 feet away. Although I had never seen one before, I knew right away that it was a barracuda. A big one - about 5' long, all bright and shiny. I saw Jaws at a very impressionable age, and the image of those teeth has stayed with me ever since, so I'm not 100% comfortable in the water to begin with. Needless to say, I screamed, swallowed a gallon of salt water, and swam back to the boat, barely touching the water. Troy and the other dive guy assured me I had nothing to worry about, that was just George. Apparently, George likes to visit when the snorkle boats come by, as he will feed on the little fish that the dive guys feed to entertain the snorklers.

I was very uncomfortable with George around, so I stayed out of the water, but most of the others stayed in to watch him swim around. He was actually very graceful to watch, as he would just glide around, not getting too close to us.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Poison Ivy on Steroids

by travelgirl3 Written Sep 5, 2005

Poison Wood Tree on Guana Cay, Abaco

On Guana Cay, we noticed several familiar looking wild plants growing very large by comparison to the ones we have at home.

Poison Wood is one example, as it looks very similar to our Poison Ivy. Like Poison Ivy, it is very common to see it growing beside the roads, however, it can grow into a full tree, up to 20' tall! It also closely resembles another very common but harmless tree, the 'Gumeleimi Tree', making it easy to confuse the two. However, the leaves on the Poison wood are much thicker, and a darker green, and the bark is different. On the road to Nippers Bar, there are a Poison wood and a Gumeleimi growing beside each other - the owners of Nippers were kind enough to put big signs on both trees for identification purposes.

And if you think Poison Ivy is nasty, Poison Wood is even worse, resulting in the same type of reaction, but more extreme.

So if you go to Guana Cay, chances are you'll find yourself at Nippers, so be sure to check them out.

Beware!

Please Observe All Pool Rules

by travelgirl3 Written Jul 22, 2005

Pool Rules at Guana Sunset Resort, Guana Cay, Abac

It is very important for all visitors to Guana Cay to follow the stringent rules put in place by the propietors of the various establishments they will frequent on their visit.

These rules have been posted adjacent to the pool at Guana Sunset Resort. Please adhere to them. Those caught breaking the rules, especially #6, will be dealt with.

Consider yourself warned.

Instant Answers: Great Guana Cay

Comments

Great Guana Cay Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Great Guana Cay warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Great Guana Cay sightseeing.

View all Great Guana Cay hotels