Bahamian Food, Nassau

View from Restaurant
    by gabriellefox
  • Twin Brothers: Great Island Cuisine

by bboucaud Updated Apr 4, 2011

Out of all the restaurants we ate at, Twin Brothers was the best. We loved the conch fritters (Bahamian specialty) and the strawberry daiquiris (the best). The drinks (non-alcoholic) were made with fresh ingredients. You can mix and match your desired fruit i.e. mango/strawberry, pineapple/mango, etc …

The first time we went the waitress was nice, the next time we went the waitress was not as polite. We did not let that ruin our meal; we figured she might be having a bad day.

Prices are reasonable, chefs cook outside, Caribbean music throughout the restaurant. The food was great. There are two locations; we went to the site located at Junkanoo Beach.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the conch fritters, strawberry daiquiris and mango daiquiris.

We believe that whatever you choose on the menu you will enjoy.

The food was great.

• adrenalynn_22's Profile Photo

The Fish Fry (Arawak Cay): Eat Authentically!

by adrenalynn_22 Written Feb 23, 2005

There's a strip of native resturants at Arawak Cay that the locals refers to as the Fish Fry. You can't miss it if you're taking the 10 bus from Cable Beach (tell the bus driver to let you off at the Fish Fry) or headed west on Bay st. from downtown. Do go there sometime!! The food is very good and authentic, not to mention the prices are easy on the wallet!!

We ate at Kemp and Sons, which's one of the smaller establishments. It was filled with locals enjoying a good afternoon brew and late lunch. Everyone there was very friendly (as keeping with the local style).

Favorite Dish: As a quick afternoon treat, we had the Conch snack (aka the Cracked Conch) with Kaliks - it was delicious. It was served with fries (very good fries - trust me, I love potatoes with a passion), and a tossed salad. I think you've almost got your four essentials covered.

• Bahamian Food: Fishfry

by Sweeney123 Written Mar 2, 2006

A small strip just outside Nassau was our favorite eating place. The area is known collectivey as 'Fishfry' and consists of 6-10 restaurants and 6-10 bars. It's half way between Nassau and Cable beach.Taxi drivers or jintney drivers will

The restaurants began as shacks where fisherman sold their catch but some of them have now grown to over two-storeys high.

We ate at there a couple of nights and we liked the fact that this place is dominated by locals rather than tourists. The food served is fresh and there are lots of conch options.
    The Two Brothers is pretty good.

Afterwards you can wander into the bars where you will be made welcome. Look for Cold Creek - where the owner Jason Burrows palys live music every Friday and Saturday. He made us very welcome.

I saw another post advising visitors to eat in the hotel. It would be a shame to miss out on Fishfry. It's one of the few interesting places in the Bahamas.

Favorite Dish: Conch Fritters, Conch Salad, Conch conch conch

• dreeve's Profile Photo

Oasis Restaurant & Bar: Real Bahamian Food

by dreeve Written Jun 19, 2005

Live Conch out of the shell

The food at Oasis is probably one of the best Authentic Bahamian Restaurants. But it does have it's drawbacks.

If the cook decides they do not wish to work; the kitchen is closed. Not everything on the menus is available. The barmaid has a bad attitude.

The restaurant's primary business is the "Numbers Game"

Besides these items, it is known by all Bahamians as the place to eat. Most tourists only find it by traveling via sccoter to the southwestern area of New Providence between Coral Harbour and the village Adelaide.

Favorite Dish: Every food item that is available that day is the greatest.

If you are intersted in trying conch, have the Conch snack, Conch Fritters or Conch burger. You will not be disappointed.

As a now resident, where I get fresh conch myself by snorkeling and cracking them myself out of the shell, this restaurant has very fresh conch.

Reports are also, by native Bahamians, that they have the best Souse on the Island.

• EastEndBye's Profile Photo

Bahamian Food: Best Conch Fritters

by EastEndBye Written Jan 3, 2004

The name Conch Fritters Bar and Grill is all to remember as it speaks of the main ingredient to menu. The casual tropical decor is as good as the food.

Favorite Dish: Deep fried Conch Fritters is what I went for and wasn't disapointed. The trio platter of fritters, scallops and fish was the best!

• Festivals
    • Cruise
    • School Holidays

• XanderDone's Profile Photo

Conch Fritter's: Great Simple, Basic Meal for those in Need for One

by XanderDone Updated Jun 20, 2005

Conch Fritter's

A nice Bahamian restaurant where you can get local food for slightly inflated prices, but it is very good, nevertheless. With cruise ships coming in down the street, you can't blame them for bumping up the fares to make more money. They just repainted the outside façade a bright Caribbean orange, so it's harder to miss than before, although it is in a main square. It's got a casual dress code and is great for the family. The only thing I found unusual was that the drink prices were scaled strangely. I paid $4.00 for just Coca-Cola, but with Rum it was $5.75. I should have kept getting the alcoholic beverages (although I was quite dehydrated by the time I had gotten to the place, so I needed something not quite as dry). They day I was there, a member of the Bahamian Senate was taking the orders back to the Senate House, so it's a local hit, too.

Favorite Dish: I had a wonderful BLT, since seafood was out of my price range. They had every local delicacy of the Bahamian gastronomy there, and it ran up about $13.00 on average, I'd say. My meal was around $6.00 if I remember correctly. After all the fancy food in Paradise Island, I desperately needed that kind of food.!

• Native Way: Must go place for Local Seafood

by HSR2Own Written Feb 14, 2009

Native Way is on the right hand side of the Fish Fry. The food is really fresh. We ordered grilled seafood which meant that the seafood, vegetables and aromatics are sealed up in tin foil with some broth and put on a grill. Ok, this isn't grillin' like up in Pennsylvania, but it was absolutely wonderful! Our party of four had conch, snapper, shrimp and grouper "grilled fish". Some of the dishes were good and spicy, some milder but still good. They're served in a bowl so you have the seafood piled on various vegetables sitting the broth that it was cooked in.

The beers and drinks were cold and much cheaper than on Paradise Island. Native Way is comfortable and looked much like what you would expect at the Fish Fry and the service was superb.

Dinner here is well worth the cab ride over. We went mid-week but we heard that the Fish Fry is the place the locals hang out at on Friday nights.

Favorite Dish: Our favorite dish was the conch fritters. We shared them as appetizers. They were light but tasty and had plenty of conch. They were served with a nice dipping sauce (some sort of aoli?). The other dishes we had were great and we shared them, but everybody loved the fritters.

• Cruise

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Bahamian Food: Authentic local dishes and international quisine

by gabriellefox Written Feb 3, 2005

View from Restaurant

At Compass Point Hotel there is a fine ocean front restaurant enjoyed by guests and locals alike, where one can dine on nouvelle Californian/Caribbean cuisine, enjoyed either al fresco or in the cool interior.

Favorite Dish: Among the delicious and innovative items on the menu are grilled and blackened fresh fish with local salsas and relishes; conch chowder spiked with dark rum and Bahamian makki roll with conch, mango and cucumber served with wasabi and pickled ginger -not for the unadventurous amongst you!

• speedypete's Profile Photo

Mr T's: The best stewed fish in the Bahamas (a fact )!

by speedypete Updated Jan 5, 2005

A great local Bahamian atmosphere,very friendly service...most visitors would miss this gem of a restaurant..I am so please that one of my local friends took us there..I shall return !

Favorite Dish: Stew fish.....just try it you will be convinced...I rest my case ................

• when going to the Bahamas and...

by AnjoLuci Written Oct 4, 2002

when going to the Bahamas and its islands, try the real tast of indigenous Bahamian food. I won't recommend any restaurant but you will be able to judge it for yourself. The food is delicious doesn't matter which restaurant you choose. You will find out that a casual/informal dress is your best choice in most places.
    Most places offer dinning, dancing and good music. They are famous for the calypso music.
    Most restaurants add 15% service charge automatically to the bill. Major credit cards accepted. Have fun!

Favorite Dish: You have to try their Mango Chicken, Grilled Bahamian Lobster, Conch Salad (pronounced 'konk'), Homemade Fresh Fruit cake and please don't forget about the drinks. Hummm... delicious! Of course, Bahama Mama, try Goombay Smash, Planters Punch or Yellow Bird. You will feel like flying but remember that you don't have wings.

• John_P_LSU's Profile Photo

street vendors: Conch Fritters

by John_P_LSU Updated Jun 16, 2004

image obtained from internet

delicious local delicacy - conch and breading deep-fried with a tangy sauce - local beer was good too!

Favorite Dish: Conch Fritters (pronounced conk)

Instant Answers: Nassau