Cafe Skan's, Nassau

Bay St at Frederick St

• Cafe Skans: Local Food Gone Good!

by Miss.Sellaneous Written Mar 25, 2012

The food here is local and includes, fried conch, grouper, chicken etc. Down to earth place where you find locals and tourists sitting side by side. Downside is that there is only one keyed bathroom and as is the norm in a popular place, quite messy.

Favorite Dish: I was walking through the Straw Market and saw a local vendor eating some food that smelled absolutely yummy. We asked her what it was and where she bought it and she directed us to the Cafe Skans, just around the corner. We ordered the baked chicken with rice, but this is no ordinary chicken with rice. The chicken was the most tender chicken Ive ever eaten and the rice is indescribable. Absolutely divine rice with a wonderful taste that is difficult to describe. Very reasonably priced. 10 stars out of 10.

• Beaches

• Cafe' Skans: AMAZING Conch Fritters!!

by Cy_Fi Updated May 6, 2010

Cafe Skans is a gem, the food was great and the waitresses are beautiful and hospitable. My husband had the Conch Fritters and they were delicious, I was a bit scared of the idea of Conch so I ordered the Bahamian Fried Chicken with the rice and it was very good. I felt like a local eating there, like I knew something that everyone else didn't. Now I'm not positive about this but my mom swears that she also ate there when she was in Nassau about 25+ years ago... she just remembered that the conch chowder was out of this world... it must have been to remember it that long ago.
    Something that I thought was neat was the wall behind the cash register was covered in foreign currency signed by the people that hung it up. The waitresses were nice enough to give us our change in Bahamian money which is only a .02 difference in the exchange for U.S. dollars. They use both currency in their everyday life as if they were the same thing... interesting really!

Favorite Dish: Conch Fritters and the Bahamian Fried Chicken

• Cafe Skans: You MUST try the Conch Chowder!

by HSR2Own Written Feb 14, 2009

We visited this place twice for lunch during our vacation. It was recommended to us by a native. We wish our friend had mentioned how wonderful the chowder was up front. Because of this we ordered other foods but only one person ordered a small bowl conch chowder. The conch chowder was AWESOME! Definitely the best that we had our whole time on the island.

The next time we went there we just ordered big bowls of conch chowder! Even though our visit was just three days after our first, the chowder was just as good, it was the same, it was just heaven....

We're not disparaging the other foods served at Cafe Skans. They have of mix of Greek and Bahamian dishes. There are many other dishes on the menu that we never got to order. But we're looking forward to going there next we visit the bahamas.

Favorite Dish: Like we said the Conch Chowder. The Conch was plentiful and TENDER! The broth was rich and flavorful. The consistancy of the soup did not allow you to stand a spoon up but the flavor density could have.

• bobholly's Profile Photo

cafe skans: Best reasonable place with great food and service!

by bobholly Written Oct 8, 2008

We have gone to Nassau 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years and we hit Cafe Skans every time we go. The service is great, it is wonderful to be remembered when you go in, the servers are extremely nice. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere is very laid back. We have never had a bad meal at Cafe Skans and we tell everyone we know who is headed to Nassau that this place is a must for breakfast, lunch or dinner or even just a quick snack. It is clean and comfortable. And its right down the block from the straw market.

We would like to thank all of the folks at Cafe Skans for being there and being a great place to eat and relax - kind of a home away from home! And they remembered my husband with his vietnam vet hat with the pins on it and me for the color of my hair.

Favorite Dish: conch fritters and fried fish!!! The ice tea is wonderful and the beer is ice cold. You just can't get the same taste anywhere else!

Instant Answers: Nassau

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Skan's
3.0 out of 5 stars