Places to eat in Nassau

• Deep fried grouper (before cutting into it)
    Deep fried grouper (before cutting into...
    by bekssa
  • looking at the other room (the bar & entrance)
    looking at the other room (the bar &...
    by bekssa
  • View from our table (cruise ships in background)
    View from our table (cruise ships in...

Most Viewed Restaurants in Nassau

• bekssa's Profile Photo

Sharkee's Bar and Grill: Perfect Meal

by bekssa Updated Apr 2, 2014

This place was upstairs and we discovered it quite by accident. My husband had been to Nassau before and had fond memories of cracked conch and deep fried grouper. So we were on a quest to find both of those. I also had never had a johnny cake so I was wanting to try one of those.

We went into a couple of restaurants and checked out the menus. We walked upstairs to Sharkees and they did not have johnny cakes but told me where to find them nearby. The cracked conch was on the menu but the deep fried grouper was not. The waitress/hostess was super super friendly!!! And when my husband asked about the grouper--surprise! They DID have that. So, I asked whether I could go get a johnny cake and bring it back to go with my lunch. No problem!!!

We were greeted so warmly when we came back. Looks like a sports bar, tv sets everywhere but the outside view is cool (we sat by a window in the large back room -- the bar counter is in the other (also a large room). Very quiet and pleasant meal. Everyone we met, especially our server, was just wonderful. We've planned next year's trip already and made sure Nassau was included. Can't wait to return. I'm getting the grouper this time!

Favorite Dish: I loved my cracked conch. But his grouper---OMG!!! It was thick and moist and soooo much flavor. I'd have traded any meal my whole trip for that deep fried grouper. Just perfect. Also the local peas and rice were the best we had all trip AND even the cole slaw was excellent. That place has a super cook!!

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Indigo Cafe: Indigo Cafe

by windoweb Written Jan 4, 2013

We had a nice hostess by the name of Lindsay. The waiter was attentive by the name of Yannick.

Our food was good. We both had the lobster mac and cheese.

Favorite Dish: Lobster mac and cheese. The warm cherry bread was tasty.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Beaches

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe Nassau: Hard Rock Cafe Nassau

by TravellerMel Written Dec 30, 2011

OK, I didn't get a chance to eat here - I went to the Rock Shop before the restaurant opened for the day, and we didn't make it back after our shore excursion (Nassau was a port on a recent cruise). That said, it's a Hard Rock Cafe, so you pretty much know what you are going to get. I happen to like the Hard Rock, and would have liked to explore the memorabilia collection. Guess I will have to do that *next time*, however, I still came away with several cool pins and a t-shirt! :-)

• Music

Anthony's Grill: Great food, great price

by brazwhazz Written Mar 6, 2011

Anthony's Grill is one of the most affordable restaurants on Paradise Island, perhaps because it is a few minutes away from the Atlantis complex.

We were there for lunch on a hot scorching day and skipped the terrace to eat inside, where the air conditioning was much appreciated. The place reminded of us of T. G. I. Friday's and offered a mix of American and Bahamian dishes.

Both our Nassau club salad and barbecue pizza were excellent, and the service was both friendly and efficient. As we left the owner enthusiastically told us of his specials for breakfast the following morning, thinking we were staying on the island.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant, especially to families with children, as tabs can go up in a hurry on overpriced Paradise Island.

Twin Brothers: Great food at the Fish Fry

by brazwhazz Updated Mar 4, 2011

Many locals recommend going to the "Fish Fry," a restaurant strip 1-2 miles west of downtown. Among the many options is the Twin Brothers restaurant, whose daiquiris are said to have been featured on CBS and written about in the New York Times.

I don't like seafood, but I had promised myself I would try Bahamian conch during my stay in Nassau, and this is where I had a conch burger. It wasn't great -- too much frying to my liking -- but I could not say if it is prepared the same way elsewhere. That being said, my better half's Bahamian baked chicken, served with peas'n'rice, was very good. And the daiquiris truly are excellent.

I wish we had room for dessert, but we were stuffed from our generous servings. Prices were quite reasonable, considering the other similar eateries in Nassau, and the service was very friendly.

Travellers' Rest: Our favourite restaurant on New Providence

by brazwhazz Written Feb 26, 2011

This is certainly one of the best restaurants on New Providence Island, I can't believe they weren't on the restaurants list in the menu for creating this travel tip.

What probably hurts it, though, is location -- in Gambier Village, on the west side of New Providence Island, a half-hour away on bus from downtown Nassau. However, those who do make the trip are rewarded with excellent food and, if they eat on the terrace, wonderful view of the beach.

If you take your meal as an entree instead of as an appetizer, you get peas'n'rice as well as the choice of two side dishes from coleslaw, plantains, corn and salad. The first time there we ate there, my girlfriend took fish fingers as an appetizer while I had curried chicken as an entree and shared my side dishes with her, but we ended up fighting over my peas'n'rice and plantains!

We went back a few days later and this time both had our meals as entrees, avoiding anymore fights over the delicious food. :)

Prices here are comparable to other restaurants we tried around Nassau. While the adjacent Seagrape Gift Shop seemed expensive, the products were clearly of better quality than those sold, say, at the Straw Market. Credit cards are accepted.

Hard Rock Cafe ~ Nassau: Hard Rock Cafe ~ Good Food the World Over

by starship Updated Jun 17, 2009

When traveling to new islands or new countries, we always like to sample the local food. However, there are times when we crave food that we are familiar with, and the food at Hard Rock is generally good no matter what part of the world you find yourself traveling in. A good cheeseburger and a Diet Coke are pure comfort food for me and I'm not afraid to admit it. Thanks, but no fried grasshoppers, or jellied eel or any of that stuff for me!!

Hard Rock Cafe markets itself as an American institution and that's just what it is---a lot of talking, American music and American food. It's full of all kinds of people, young & old. I like the food choices, but not so much the amount of noise. Choose a good salad, a hamburger and fries, or an entree of almost any kind and you will most probably be pleased. The service is generally very good. American Automobile Association (AAA) members get a 10% discount I believe on food as well as in the Hard Rock Store. Coupons may be found in many of the free tourist magazines and brochures you will find at Festival Place.

Although I enjoy Hard Rock Cafe's food from time to time, I really like to pick up their collectible pins. There are many different styles and each one is designed for the specific Hard Rock location such as Grand Cayman, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Cozumel, New Orleans, Beijing, etc., etc. It's amazing how popular they are with travelers, and collectors and the pins can actually appreciate in value. Other people like to collect their t-shirts from Hard Rock Cafes to show off where they've been.

Favorite Dish: I'll take a good old American cheeseburger and Diet Coke any time, but I also like their salads and desserts. And oh, I'll have a few of those Hard Rock pins too!

• starship's Profile Photo

Murray's Delicatessen: New York Deli in the Bahamas??

by starship Updated Jun 14, 2009

It was a fortunate day when we found Murray's Delicatessen near the Atlantis Marina. We had come to see the Atlantis and have lunch when we found this 1950's New York deli style restaurant on one of our first visits to Nassau. Now it has become our favorite place to have lunch when we are lucky enough to visit Nassau.

The decor is colorful, light, airy and has a definite summer feel as Murray's looks out over the huge Marina at Atlantis. While Atlantis has several other upscale dining choices, Murray's is very casual and not nearly as pricey as some. They serve those mile-high deli sandwiches which New York is famous for. They also have other deli-style food such as salads, smoked fish, bagels, etc., but we come here for their fantastic HAMBURGERS!! They serve probably the best burger I have ever had! The portions are huge which reminds me of the Zabar's legend (if you're from New York or New Jersey you'll know this name) so you definitely will not go away hungry.

There is also a small grocery area in the restaurant from which you can buy sodas, snacks, small salads, sandwiches or desserts to take out and sit at the outside tables by the marina or to take back to your room or the beach. Service here is friendly and attentive; we've had the same waiter twice -- we remembered him-- he didn't remember us of course. Murray's is popular although we never have trouble getting a table. After Murray's, try Jimmie's Soda Fountain next door for a cool dessert.

Murray's is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7am to 11 pm.

Favorite Dish: You can get almost any deli type food at Murray's but their burgers are THE BEST! The fries are good too. Even though you must try the Caribbean food while in Nassau, if you have a taste for a great burger, you must try Murray's.

Jimmie's Soda Fountain: Frozen Delights

by starship Updated Jun 14, 2009

Right next door to Murray's Delicatessen you'll find a really delightful place--Jimmie's Soda Fountain. Also done up in the 1950's soda fountain decor (which I love), this is a really cute place with some great milkshakes, ice creams, ice cream sundays, novelties, etc. Unlike Murray's, this place is ALWAYS CROWDED! The line is usually out the door so you know it must be good!! If you have any room left for dessert after Murray's, Jimmie's is the place!

I hate to say it, but I think they should definitely have counter seating and service to make the 50's theme really come alive. There are a few tables inside and outside seating overlooking the marina which are nice too.

Expect to spend $5 and up per person but it's worth the splurge sometimes to experience the place itself!

Favorite Dish: Why, the ice cream of course!

• Olives Mediterranean Cafe & Bar: One of Nassau's best kept secrets

by UrbanTourist Written May 2, 2009

Nassau is an expensive place to dine thats for sure and when you are looking for lunch at an affordable price it can be a difficult task. So imagine my surprise when I found Olives in the Nassau International Bazaar. It is locally owned Greek themed restaurant with out side dining but with cover should you experience one of those Bahamas Summer showers. Hidden half way down a little alleyway called a Bazzar it is friendly, helpful and a great place to meet locals and tourists alike. Whilst I enjoyed my simple lunch and a couple of drinks (the Mojito's are excellent) I talked with the staff and the locals who told where to go and what to see, the tips they gave me were very valuable as the cruise ship I was on were only really telling us about the places they get a cut in profits from (well I think so as those places kept asking us what ship we were from whilst typing it in there till). The food was great freshly made and tasty and I didn't feel as if I needed to get a second mortgage to pay. I had the Olives House Burger with Seasoned Fries and a local beer to start and then a cocktail before we moved on to do some more shopping. My wife had a salad and she was very impressed and I can assure you that is not the case all the while. The refreshing thing was that it has an open kitchen so you can see your food being made and that it is clean and tidy.

Favorite Dish: Olives House Burger was a Fresh Homemade burger from what seemed to be quality ingredients accompanied by Seasoned fries. It was fresh quick and delivered with a smile.

• androsgal's Profile Photo

Traveller's Rest: True Bahamian Food and Atmosphere

by androsgal Written Apr 8, 2009

Although most visitors to Nassau confine themselves to Bay Street, and some venture to Paradise Island or Cable Beach, those in the know who want real Bahamian food in a restful, relaxed, authentic setting will travel a little further west, out of "town proper" to Traveller's Rest, looking out over the ocean in the West Bay Street neighborhood (actually not far from the Nassau airport).

Traveller's (as it is called) is owned by Duke and Joan Hanna, long-time Nassau residents who have taken time and care to make their casual restaurant one of the best places on the island to get real well-prepared Bahamian dishes while sitting and watching the waves at the beach. Prices are quite reasonable for Nassau considering the quality of the food.

You'll find fresh conch prepared several ways, fresh fish, peas and rice, and other island favorites that make a great lunch or dinner. There's a full bar, and you can sit inside or outside, depending on the wind and the weather. Families, couples and businesspeople all are comfortable at Traveller's. Kids can spread out on the covered deck and needn't be hushed. Couples might choose a table with a water view. For business, sit inside where it is usually quieter.

If either Joan or Duke are there, be sure to talk to them about Nassau "in the old days" and life today in the Bahamas.

The restaurant staff will gladly call you a cab if you need a ride back into town.

Favorite Dish: I'm a sucker always for the cracked (fried) conch steak. It is not at all greasy and the conch is so sweet and tender. And you have to try an order of the conch fritters.

• Eco-Tourism

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe: for hard rock cafe collectors

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 28, 2009

This is just another Hard Rock cafe... exactly like the other HRC restaurants worldwide, except it's in Nassau. And that's why I went there... nto to eat, but to buy some HRC t-shirt for friends who collect them.

Favorite Dish: The same menu as in the pther restaurants. I did not eat there - but had I done it, I would have gone for the veggie burger...

• Seafront Sushi: If we only had this Sushi at Home...

by HSR2Own Written Feb 14, 2009

Seafront Sushi is sometimes mistakenly called Seaside Sushi. It's a plain looking restaurant but the Sushi is AWESOME. We always try to visit a sushi place when we escape the culinary wasteland that we call home. This restaurant serves some of the best sushi we've tasted. It was extremely fresh and innovative. Yes the standard types of sushi were there too. But this sushi chef was very creative. The portion size were large and did we mention super fresh? The decor is basic to hum drum but who cares when the sushi is so fresh and tasty?

Because of it's location at the base of the bridge from Paradise Island, taxis do not hang out around Seafront Sushi. It's best to get the phone number of the taxi driver that drops you off so you can call him to come pick you up after dinner.

Favorite Dish: Try non-standard sushi from their menu. We all like different variations but some of the stuff this guy does is unique. Look for the Bahamian named sushi. Unfortunately we were not able to try "giant squid".

• Beaches

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Illusions: Wonderful Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Feb 3, 2009

In the evening we also ate in the dining room as it was formal night on board. I was shocked at how many people did in fact follow suggestion and dressed up. Even children were in their best dress.

We took our seats and were handed our menus. Liz and I both wanted appetizers. Liz had the Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper coulis and I had the fruit salad. The fruit salad was good but I liked Liz's Onion Tart even better. For a main course Liz chose the Black Angus Steak with Heb Butter and I chose the Salmon. The steak was very good (as I grabed a bite) and my Salmon was very nice and served on a bed of lentils with frizzled onions. For dessert we both had the Strawbery Pavlova. Liz loved it and ate the whole thing. I found it too sweet for my taste.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Illusions: Great Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Feb 2, 2009

We actually ate twice in the dining room while we were in port in Nassau. This was our first experience with lunch in the dining room and all I can say is WOW! They all went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed it as if it were a special secret to eat lunch in the dining room. Our waiter we recognized as working the dinner shift at a group of tables near ours and the rest of the staff was just as great.

Favorite Dish: For lunch I had a pulled pork sandwich which I admit I was on a bit of a kick with during that month. This one was among the best I have had and really made me happy we had decided to come in for lunch. But as usual, the star of the meal was coming after the main course. The cheesecake with blueberries I had was simply amazing. I still pause and do the Homer drool "donuts" when I think of it. Liz had a salad that was quite nice and made her happy she wasn't eating a lot.

Nassau Hotels

Latest: Apr 9, 2014
Sunshine Paradise Suites
Latest: Dec 15, 2011

Instant Answers: Nassau

Comments

Nassau Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nassau locals.
Map of Nassau