Atlantis at Paradise Island, Nassau

• dlandt's Profile Photo

The Atlantis Aquarium

by dlandt Updated Jan 25, 2005

A lionfish

The aquarium here is simply amazing. From the dressup job of the mythological Atlantean Kingdom to the actual fish in the tanks, they did a great job. They have one of the biggest, best stingrays I have ever seen on the screen or in the water.

One good tip for this, to avoid paying Atlantis the fee for looking at the aquarium, is to know what color wristband the Atlantis is using. If you can get one that matches their color, they will assume you are staying in the hotel, and are thus entitled to wander through the aquarium for free. There isn't a formal entrance or ticket booth, so you won't face any kind of scrutiny or questions.

The Atlantis Aquarium

This is a nice place to visit even if you are not staying here (we weren't). They have some nice restaurants, bars, a beach club and some interesting sights. But the best part -- in our opinion -- was the incredible aquarium. Though the resort can be kind of cheesy at times, the aquarium is a must see. Though when we went there was no charge, they may have implemented one by now as others has noted as much.

• Casino and Gambling

The Aquarium

Here is another photo of the aquarium at the Atlantis ResortParadise Island. I was worried about whether or not the photos would come out because of the flash and lighting issues. One of the good parts of the tour of the aquarium is that there are no time limits and they really let you take your time seeing the sights -- and there is a lot to see!!!

I would hate to run across this fish while snorkeling!! lol

The Aquarium

I love lobsters. I love diving for them. Unfortunately I've never caught one, but I love the search, nevertheless. These guys look pretty good -- at least they won't become somebodies lunch someday. Some of the lobsters on display were really huge!!!

Aquarium at Paradise Island

The Aquarium

I really wish I could remember the name of this eel. I want to say Moray, but that would be just a guess. At any rate, he was huge and shared a tank with 2 others -- both equally as menacing!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Atlantis

by Willettsworld Written Mar 1, 2006

Atlantis viewed from the top of the Water Tower

Visable from Nassau, this huge resort was built at a cost of $850 million and features virtual everything you want. Not only is Atlantis somewhere to stay, it's also somewhere to visit if you're not staying there. In the 14 acre waterscape you'll find the world's largest open-air acquarium, waterfalls, six exhibit lagoons filled with more than 14,000 fish including sharks and sting-rays, water slides and such like. Certain areas require you to be a guest of the hotel but you can visit most of the outside areas.

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Paradise

by saw50st8 Written Jul 10, 2006

We took the Atlantis tour, which is worthwhile if you are not staying at the hotel. There is so much to see! A guided tour of the aquarium, hotel and "ruins" is given. Then you have the rest of the day to see what else is out there. Check out the throne in the casino (and gamble too!), the chihuly glass, the pools and beach (which you dont get to use if you go on a tour -- thats a seperate fee).

• Marilu33's Profile Photo

Atlantis lobby no longer open to public

by Marilu33 Written Feb 23, 2012

We had understood from past reviews that we would be able to go into the lobby of the Atlantis resort, but were told by our tour guide that the pressure of cruise ship and other tourists in the place was so great that they had decided to close off most areas of the resort to outsiders. We were able to go in through the casino, and down the hallway where the shops are to a point where we could see into the lobby and take some long distance shots. It is very grand, and fun to take photos there even if our access was restricted.

• Spa and Resort

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Atlantis

by lashr1999 Written Aug 23, 2006

We went to Atlantis to visit the property and see what everyone was talking about. We took a 10 minute cab ride over to the hotel from Nassau. Sol Kerzner built an amazing hotel, he spared no detail to make everyone believe this was the real Atlantis. The marine exhibits, the Chihuly glass, the sculptures, and lagoons were amazing. This resort has over 2000 rooms in three main Towers: the Beach Towers, Coral Towers and Royal Towers. It is considered the largest island resort in the world.

When we went we walked around the shops and the restaurants which were a bit overpriced. We tried the casino. The Wheel of Fortune machine I like didn’t give anyone too much of a good payout when I was there. In fact I lost 40$ before leaving. We continued on to the Dig. We went around 7PM since several of my friends had told at this time and after you can go to the Dig without paying the $29 fee. You do not have a tour but you do get to see everything the tour would have taken you to by just walking around. I have to say the attention to detail at the dig was amazing. The Dig's has a system of interconnecting tunnels, underground rooms and chamber. These rooms are filled with ancient artifacts and stone carved hieroglyphics depicting the Lost City of Atlantis. I loved the jelly fish exhibit here. When we finished the dig and as we continued walking outside you could enjoy many lagoons and gardens.

For me Atlantis was nice for a visit but I wouldn’t want to stay here. It felt like Vegas or a Disneyland in the Caribbean, it was too busy. The Caribbean should be nice, relaxing, with a few people. I got the feeling you we closed in away from the natives and outside. I like walking around. The people who would enjoy staying here are people with children. Then, the family could enjoy the activities Atlantis offers for its guest such as sailing, paddle boats, aqua bikes, kayaks, glass bottom boats and the Discover Channel Activity zone for kids. There are activities for adults to enjoy such as a nightclub and a spa

• Eco-Tourism

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Atlantis Was Awesome

by onestepaway Written Jun 23, 2007

We had to take a trip by ferry to Atlantis, the water was beautiful and the guide was great, we pointed up where famous people lived and theri houses were out of this world. We then hiked over to Atlantis, viewed the aquarium, which was neat to see the sharks,sting rays and other fishes paas you by. We didnt do any on of the tours but we did do some gambling. Which is always a must! Just say we didnt leave there winners but we left happy. We caught a free shuttle back to the ferry, these guys all drive like crazy people! I swear, I seen more close calls, whew! We made it back to the drop off point and we had to jog to catch the last ferry of the day. While we waited to board the ferry, these little kids line up under the bridge with items to sell. I bought a few flutes that were handmade with little designs on them. Honestly, they were not pushy and very well mannered. We both bought some from each one, so we tried to spread it around. I know about poverty and it sucks! I know I wish, I could have done more.

• Singles

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

Atlantis Aquarium

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 2, 2005

The Dig

If you don't stay at Atlantis at least visit the aquarium. Its called "The Dig" and wraps around the hotel with all sorts of sealife on display, though not in its natural habitat, still in a beautiful lost-continent setting.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Singles

• amyhouston's Profile Photo

Beware of the river float ride

by amyhouston Written Aug 10, 2007

I got 2 big bruises and 3 inch cut on my tail bone from riding one of the water floating rides (not the Serpent ride which was awesome). I screamed from the pain, not the fear when the float came bouncing down on the slide.

• ssalatin's Profile Photo

Aquarium Heaven!

by ssalatin Written Aug 29, 2006

Glass structure in Atlantis featuring my Auntie Be

We went to the Atlantis to check it out. If you ever been to Vegas, it's like any casino there but I thought I'd add some photos so you can see a little of what it's like.

• Casino and Gambling

• sweetheart519's Profile Photo

Exhibits at the Atlantis

by sweetheart519 Written May 23, 2006

Atlantis grounds

You should definitely pay to see the marine exhbits and grounds of the Atlantis, if you are not staying there.

• jujub's Profile Photo

If you have a chance to check...

by jujub Written Aug 26, 2002

If you have a chance to check out Atlantis, check the shark tank they have, where the incan/mayan (?) slide is... here is a night shot..

Instant Answers: Nassau