Fun things to do in Nassau

Standing Guard
  • Pirate Museum
  • Pirate Museum

Most Viewed Things to Do in Nassau

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the governor's residence

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 28, 2009

The residence of the Governor of the Bahamas is located on mount Fitzwilliam and its a typical Nassau pink georgian house. It was built was built in 1737 by Governor Fitzwilliam but the hosue as you see it now its the result of a couple of further alterations.

it's not possible to vist the house, just the grounds but - to keep to British tradition alive - twice a month (on alternate Sundays) you can watch the changing of the guard. Somewhere I have read that those days you can also take tea with the governor-general's wife. I'm not sure how this works, though.

The most interesting sight of this house can be seen from outside, anyway - and it's the large white statue of Christopher Columbus right in the middle of the staircase.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

The Bahamas Historical Society Museum

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 28, 2009

The Bahamas Historical Society Museum is located in a pink building where you can learn all about the history of the islands from pre-Columbus times to the present. I really liked that Lucayan, Taino, and Arawak artefacts. Note however that the museum is really tiny so don't expect too much from it.

Admission is 1 dollar and it is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., whereas on Saturday it closes earlier, at midday. In the summer months (July and August) it is closed permanently.

The Bahamas Historical Society Museum

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Festival Place

by cjg1 Updated Dec 23, 2008

Festival Place is basically the tourist center of Nassau. This is where you pass through security both entering and exiting Nassau. There are plenty of guide books and maps of the attractions of Nassau available. This is also where you can arrange an island tour, water taxi or boat excursion. There are some cute shops within festival place selling everything from local crafts to jewelry.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Arrival by Ship

by cjg1 Written Aug 22, 2008

As this was my first ever time coming to the Bahamas and especially to Nassau, I was sure to make it up on deck for arrival. Besides the fact that is when the belly flop contest was taking place, the views all around the ship were amazing.

I hadn't been on a ship coming into port in nearly 11 years to the day. And I can assure you this is how I always thought it should be.

Be sure to take note of the light house on the port side and the waterfront buildings on the starboard, which includes the infamous Senor Frogs.

So many cruise ships
    • Cruise

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Arawak Cay

by leffe3 Updated Apr 21, 2008

West of Nassau on the edge of town on the way to Cable Beach, is the small beach area of Arawak Cay. Not the prettiest of beaches, but likely to be fairly deserted as its the furthest beach in Nassau itself away from Paradise island.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Black Beard's Island

by BigBlueOne Written Apr 9, 2008

If you get a chance, and you're wanting to get away from the masses (or at least some of the masses), find a ferry to Black Beard's Island. There's a decent amount of beach space, a bar, a restaurant (hamburgers and such), and even a spa (more like a 'massage area', but whatever).

Blackbeard's Island Blackbeard's Island
    • Cruise

• Mikey64's Profile Photo

Snorkel

by Mikey64 Written Oct 1, 2007

Make sure you save one day to do the Stuart Cove's snorkel trip. Totally worth $55. Three stops - large reef loaded with tropical fish, sunken twin Cessna (airplane) at the bottom to check out, and the last was the best. In the water with at least a hundred 8 to 10 foot long reef sharks, followed by an aggressive feeding frenzy after everyone's back in the boat. Incredible! Best snorkel I've ever done.

• Powerboat Adventure

by yrubia Written Aug 20, 2007

A day trip to Exuma Cays in a quick catamaran. We have a very nice day in beatiful uninhabited island, interacting with iguanas, stingrays and baby sharks.

Half way to Exuma you stop to feed the Iguanas in a little cay with their favorite food: grapes. You will need a branch to give them the grapes without putting in danger your fingers... Really, no danger at all, your follow the guide instructions and it would be really fun!

Arriving to Exuma, if you want you can feed the Sting Rays by your hands (you can always watch and take photos if you don't feel in the mood). Was also great. After that the guide will feed the baby sharks, you can be really close if you want and it's really interesting.

Time for snorkeling then, always the chance for sunbathing and beach if you don't want to snorkeling. There are big water flowings in Exuma, so you have to be careful and follow always the guide instructions. Very different experience of the other snorkeling I've done at Nassau or other trips, more "wild"... take care if you are with childrens.

After this they prepare a nice meal (fish, hot dogs, ribs, fresh fruit... all drinks included all day) and free time for bath until departure time.

There are two nice inhabitants of the island for turist fun: two wild pigs that arrive to the beach after lunch. Be careful with the bags you leave at the beach because they like to search for food in everything they find!!!

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Eco-Tourism

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Horse drawn tour

by smirnofforiginal Written Jun 25, 2007

The second you leave the safety of the port you are thrown into a busy, chaotic town - a bit of a shell shock. It is busy, busy, busy and everybody is wanting you to do something that is going to earn them $$$ - the first of such things being a horse drawn surrey!!!

The horses wait in the shade and are eager to trot around the historic streets of Nassau. In the summer when the temperatures soar, the horses are not allowed to work between 2-4pm (the hottest part of the day).

Before you have had a chance to take it all in and catch your bearings, a horse person will not only have espied you but will be trying to steer you onto a carriage. You don't need a carriage to take you about to see the sights - it is easy to walk about by foot and take everything in at your own pace and in your own time.

However, if like us, you have two children giving the driver all the right signs and begging to go on a trip.... between the children and the driver you will stand absolutely no chance and will probably end up clippy clopping about the traffic congested streets! Agree your price before you agree to the ride because if you do not you will be stitched up like a kipper and well and truly ripped off!!!

• Horse Riding

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Rum Fest

by onestepaway Written Jun 23, 2007

The first thing we did when we hit the town as head for the rum tasting. This little sput in town sold all sorts of liquer. So, we sampled all sorts of rum, to me it was like a rum fest, lol! We has some much fun with the locals in the store, they are were so nice. We even smapled more than rum, we purchased a few pint size and went up the street to find a little store the sold cold drinks and we spiked our drinks up with the flavored rum and went to explore the town. We were total tourists, we even asked for Bahama money to take back home with us. They were so kind and each spot we went too. I am sorry but the names of these places have since slipped my mind. But the key to visting places, is to explore.

• Singles

• kiteboarding and learning to kiteboard

by mocean Written Apr 18, 2007

I was recently in Nassau Bahamas to learn to kiteboard,I took a 5 day beginner course with cross-shore bahamas kiteboarding school. By the second day they had me up on the board going 1 way, and by the fourth day I was confident enough to do a 7 mile down winder with the owner AJ over shallow warm clear water. It was beautiful! The beach that they taught me from was shallow and felt very safe, and the water was warm. Each day the local riders came out to the same spot, they all knew AJ and were always respectful of the fact that he was teaching me so they kept their distance. It was awesome when they all cheered for me when i got up the first time! I think cross-shore bahamas is Nassau's best kept secret.

spanish wells day trip cross-shore helper jimmy local rider my kiteboarding instructor aj watson one of the young students
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Water Sports

• jne7299318's Profile Photo

See The Real Bahamas

by jne7299318 Written Apr 4, 2007

If you can, get someone to give you a private tour of the island. You'll see some of the gated communities that are celebrity residents, as well as some of the communities where the people of the island reside.

If you are not willing to entrust a native to do this (I asked one of the caretakers of the property to take me around. I gave him money for a tank of gas, let a friend know that i was going to do this, and also made certain that other workers on the property saw me go off with the person) try renting a moped and touring the island on your own. I felt safer going into some of the neighborhoods with someone who knew the island and the people, however.

Taken on private tour of island. Entrance to an ancient cave on the island. Hand made chair made with shells from the island. Someone's home

• prymsu's Profile Photo

Stuart's Cove - The Tops In Water Sports Sharks!

by prymsu Written Feb 11, 2007

Several times now I have booked various snorkeling excursions with Stuart's Cove in the Bahamas. It is a about thirty minutes or so from downtown Nassau. They offer complimentary pick up from hotels, cruise ships and other down town areas. The price is very reasonable. For snorkeling tours they usually make two different stops. One is usually a coral reef and the other is sometimes a ship wreck. The last stop of the day on snorkeling trips is an optional chance to get in the water and watch the Reef Sharks come in for a closer look at you. I have done this several times and it has always been a thrill. Last time everyone got scared when the first shark headed in and got back on the boat. I was able to enjoy the view with no one else in the water. It is awesome! It was right around 48 dollars last time I went. If you book in advance, on their website, you can get a discount.

• Powerboat Adventures to Exuma

by dahlia29 Written Nov 9, 2006

Unbelievable! if your looking for a fun day, in the sun, on the water, but with sharks, stingrays and beaching thrown in then this is for you. if your looking for pristine toilets, waiter service and 5 star food, then this trip is not for you! We had a ball both on the 1.5 hours high speed boat ride down to Exuma, and back, and during the day - we wanted to stay longer, but alas the boat heads back at 3pm. the website Powerboat Adventures gives a full description of how the day goes, but all in all I would advise you not to have anything heavy planned for the evening if you go on this trip as its exhausting....in a good way.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• cosmogypsy's Profile Photo

Conch Fritters

by cosmogypsy Written Nov 3, 2006

We took a cruise to Nassau last month. I had a wonderful time but mostly because I was with 13 of my nearest and dearest. None the less, a few of my friends and I took a taxi to check out the local cuisine. We told the cabbie to take us somewhere with good local food. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the restaurant, but the food was great. We sat on a balconly overlooking the bay and outside there was a man with a pile of conch shells getting conch for our lunch....yummm!

Nassau Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
Sandyport Beach Resort
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Nassau

Comments

Nassau Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nassau locals.
Map of Nassau