Taxi charges, Nassau

Know about this?

Bahamian Taxi
    by XanderDone
  • Outrageous taxi charges to transport a dog

by vklassen1 Updated Jan 13, 2011

beware - Taxi tried to charge me an additional $60 to transport my quiet and friendly dog (in his cage) when I arrived at the airport in Nassau (Jan 08, 2011). I asked the airport taxi attendant on duty for clarification and he said "taxis are public transit and must charge this surcharge, how much did your airline charge you to bring the dog to the bahamas". I replied "the airline charged $57 from Vancouver Island to Nassau"...thats 4747 kms (2950 miles)...why would he ask such a stupid question?

I knew the hotel was only 4 kms but was very tired from weather related traveling delays and negotiated with the driver, we paid $50 total (2 adults, luggage, and dog in cage)...
    The next morning we needed to return to the airport and catch a connecting flight to eleuthera island and I walked the dog the 4 kms (2.5 miles) and took 20 minutes...my friend took the bags in the taxi and cost $6 total.
    I have been traveling to the Bahamas for over 20 years and this is another example of the Bahamians ripping off tourists, They do it all the time and wonder why the tourist numbers are declining.

I believe in always paying my fair share, but these kinds of absurd fees insult the very people whom bring in thousands of dollars to the local economy and know it's simple toursit gouging.

• Travel with Pets

• cjg1's Profile Photo

How much should this cost?

by cjg1 Written Aug 22, 2008

The ride from Paradise Island to the port in Nassau should be a flat $6. No more. Probably not less. This is repeated by people all over and we had heard it many times before we decided to take a taxi back to the ship.

They will of course try to pack in as many people as possible for each ride. So be advised, if you think you will have a spare space next to you, it is unlikely.

• Martman's Profile Photo

self-declared taxis

by Martman Updated Dec 22, 2006

While in the Bahamas, I was walking to the dock with the aim to catch the boat from Paradise Island to the city of Nassau. A man stopped his car to ask me where I am going. I told him. He offered to take me for $5. He never realized that I knew exactly where it was i.e. just around the corner. I obvioulsy declined the offer. I do not know if this scam is common here or it just happened here by chance. Being on guard cannot do any harm though!

• XanderDone's Profile Photo

Set rates for Taxis

by XanderDone Updated Jun 22, 2005

Bahamian Taxi

Taxis run on fixed rates in New Providence Island. It is $3 a person anywhere, but if you're going to and from Paradise Island, you pay $4 a person to pay for the toll bridge to get across. Taxis are very convenient because they are always there when you need them, are just one dollar more than the ferry, but the ferry comes every half hour on its own time schedule which changes every day.

• Cruise