Nassau, The Bahamas

Know about this? Rate It!

• Nassau
    by tracy8358
    View thru the waterfall at atlantis
    by PilotGal
    View from afar
    by PilotGal
  • Go in search of the rich and famous

by tracy8358 Updated Jul 19, 2007

After reviewing the pictures that I took while our plane was landing in Nassau I wanted to get a closer look at these homes. They are at the east end of the island not to far from the airport. Any hotel worker or local can tell you where the rich and famous live

• PilotGal's Profile Photo

The Docks

by PilotGal Written Nov 10, 2006

Donnie at The Scorched Conch

The Docks is a bunch of colorful wooden shacks that reside underneath the Potter's Cay Bridge which goes from Nassau, over to Paradise Island. I found Donnie at The Scorched Conch shack in The Docks one afternoon. Asked him to make me a scorched conch bowl while I sat and sipped on an ice cold Bahamian beer. He yanked the conch out of it's shell and sliced and diced it along with some onion and garlic, and squeezed fresh sour orange juice, loaded with garlic and scotch bonnet peppers.. It was divine. Made the heat in the air, nothing compared to the heat in my mouth. Good job Donnie.

• Gay and Lesbian

• hat53's Profile Photo

Cuban Hospitality

by hat53 Written Jan 6, 2004

When the regime changed on Cuba Bacardi left the country and moved to the Bahamas. At paradise Island they produce several rums which you can taste for free at the bacardi hospitality center.
    The bar tender makes all the cocktails you can drink for free and you can send free postcards to friends.

• Cruise
    • Beer Tasting
    • School Holidays

• Simonneeddy's Profile Photo

Visit these natural Crevaces...

by Simonneeddy Updated Nov 28, 2002

EDDY and BILL

Visit these natural Crevices or caves.
    Here with my friend Bill who was a professional piano player by trade before joining the RAF. He use to play up a storm of songs on the terrace of the Royal Victoria Hotel and we would all gather around and sing songs( like Drinking rum and coca cola) as we sipped our drinks or ate our meals.
    The Royal Vic had beautiful flower gardens and The Duke Of Windsor ( who was Governor at the time having abdicated the throne of England to marry the divorcée Mrs. Simpson) often toured the gardens with his beautiful young secretary or companion. The first time I saw him was a disaster. One of the guys yelled out to me( I was sitting on a bench near the gardens exit ) HEY!! Eddy look at the guy in the 'zoot suit'. I turned to look straight into the face of the angry DUKE. I jumped to attention and he marched on without saying a word. He had on RED DACK PANTS and a CREAM colored shirt. The Duchess would visit with her Army Officer Escort.The first time we saw her I was driving up The circular drive at the Royal Vic. and she stepped out of the garden path right into the path of the car, I slammed on the brakes and she looked at us and smiled graciously and bowed her head in appreciation of my quick action on the brakes. The Officer with her gave us a dirty look.
    Every Friday night the Duke and Duchess would arrive for the Officer's ball, on the Terrace and he would head straight for the bar.
    He would come out to the airport and tear up and down the runway driving his limousine for fun. He would spend a lot of time with the men ( not the Officers) in their Mess ( bar) being one of the boys.
    On one occasion as I was driving back to town from the airport, a sudden heavy rain hit and the car stalled because of a puddle I drove through which wet the engine.
    His Limo appeared behind us and he ordered his driver to push us to a gas station about a mile down the road. He waved at us as he left.He was a Great Guy for an X KING of England.

• datdanigirl's Profile Photo

I wish I could remember the...

by datdanigirl Written Sep 8, 2002

I wish I could remember the exact name of this wonderful wonderful inn/restaurant in Nassau.. I'm sure a good concierge will know it.. It's an old plantation home right in the town, you walk up the front porch and the maitre d' greets you with 'welcome home' as he shakes your hand warmly. You enter the parlor and turn left into a great sitting room with deep comfortable couches and wonderful period furniture. Drinks are brought to you as guests staying in one of the 4 rooms above pause from playing at the grand piano to say hello. You make your dinner selection from the menu and enjoy conversation with other patrons, then shortly before the meal is ready, you are escorted to the back verandah which overlooks a beautiful garden.. a table is prepared for you there to take your meal.
    In a 'closet' of the room, an elderly man rolls Cuban tobacco into cigars which were rated highly in Afficionado.. they have many to choose from and those I brought back were raved about by my highly critical associates.

• Philadelphia's Profile Photo

The Nassau Zoo Ok so its not...

by Philadelphia Written Aug 26, 2002

The Nassau Zoo
    Ok so its not so far off the beaten track, but most travellers don't even notice its there. Actually the zoo is pretty small and the animals' little cages are a bit depressing, but it is home to the self proclaimed 'World Famous Marching Flamingos'. The show is worth the hike if you like oddities. These birds actually respond en mass to the marching commands of their trainer. Never before and never since have I seen anything quite like it.

Instant Answers: The Bahamas