Coco Cay Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by onestepaway
    Kayak Adventure
    by Marilu33
    Heading out to nearby island
    by Marilu33

Most Recent Things to Do in Coco Cay

Not a Boring Port

by Marilu33 Updated Apr 22, 2014

When we booked this cruise I thought this would be the least fun port, but it turned out to be my favorite! I do not sit on the beach and tan. I would rather be exploring local culture and having new experiences of all kinds and this didn't look like a good spot for that. However, it turned out I just needed an attitude adjustment. Once I decided this was a good place to focus on beach and water experiences I realized I could let go of touring expectations and plan for the kinds of things I'd like to do at the beach.
    I'm also not one to spend a lot of money on shore excursions, but it was obvious that a little judicious planning and spending would go a long way to enhance the enjoyment of the day. I paid for one activity-kayaking- a sport I love at home and don't get to do very often-a reasonable $38, and borrowed snorkel gear from my brother's family and tried snorkeling for the first time and totally loved it!

I also wanted to hike the island on the nature trail, but got so into the snorkeling I never even got to that. I didn't get to go on the glass bottomed boat either, but my mom and sister-in-law loved it and saw more sea life than I did. Our family members that opted for the more expensive para sail adventure ($79 each) had a blast, and they learned to snorkel after lunch and loved that too.

We went ashore early and went back on the next to last tender-and would have stayed longer if we could have. I feel bad for those reviewers who found the island boring. There is definitely no need to have a boring day on Coco Cay. Make a plan, spend wisely and make the most of it!

On the tender from the ship Glass Bottom boat tour Parasailing Kayaking Snorkeling
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Kayaking

Snorkeling on Coco Cay

by Marilu33 Written Apr 22, 2014

I first thought I would pay for the kayak and snorkel combo for $60 so I could snorkel when I wasn't kayaking, but my brother suggested we bring our own gear and pay just the $38 for the kayaking. Amazon has sets for around the $33 it would cost to rent gear on the island and would give us the option to snorkel at our other ports also, so we did that. (He actually had a set to lend me, so it was even cheaper for me) We drove down to the embarkation port so luggage was not an issue, so we just packed an extra suitcase with the gear.
    This was my first time to snorkel and I found Snorkel Beach on Coco Cay to be an ideal place for learning. The water was shallow enough that even when I was in deeper water it was easy to get back to a spot where I could stand up if I needed to. There were also no waves to deal with or to stir up the sand and make the water murky. The water was chilly to get into but we got used to it almost immediately. We went in March, so I'm sure it's warmer later in the year. I never got cold while paddling around, but my brother did get a little chilled after being in the water a long time.

There were loads of fish, though the large amounts were mostly schools of just a few species. However, there were many scattered smaller numbers of different kinds of fish. I saw almost a dozen different kinds and took lots of photos with my underwater camera. I liked the rocky breakwaters where fish congregated in the crevices.

This would probably be pretty tame for anyone with a lot of experience, but it was an ideal spot for the newbie or someone who seldom has a chance to snorkel. Life vests are available to rent for $6 and are required, but I didn't know that and didn't use one, and no one said anything to me. They don't want you going out too far from shore anyway. A vest and fins only were $15 to rent, so you could bring your own mask and snorkel if room in luggage was an issue. There were plenty of lounge chairs in the shade at that beach, so we made that our base camp. We left our bags and towels there, taking only our camera and walkie talkie. I figured no one knew if we were nearby or would be back right away or not, so our things were probably pretty safe there and that proved to be the case.
    We didn't try snorkeling anywhere else on the island, so I don't know what conditions would have been like at other spots. This activity was a top highlight of the trip for me.

Snorkel selfie-My brother Snorkel Beach from our lounge chair I loved it! elegant silver fish Lots of fish!
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Kayak Adventure Shore Excursion

by Marilu33 Written Apr 22, 2014

Sea Kayaking was on the top of my shore excursion wish list and Coco Cay was the ideal place do fulfill that wish on this cruise. The cost was a reasonable $38 for 1 1/2 hours. There are two tour times, 9 am and 11 am. We went at 11 and went on shore at 9 so we had time to snorkel for an hour before going to Barefoot Beach where the kayaks are. The 11 am group was very large, so large they didn't have enough life jackets and we had to wait for them to get more. To avoid the crowd the earlier time would have been better. You need to gather at a hut hear the kayaks, not the boats themselves and sign a release. Tickets should be delivered to your cabin on the first day and need to be brought to check in.
    One tip is to check out the boats before time to gather and spot any that have seat backs that have been bent and are weak. The boat we grabbed had weak, bent seat backs that made it hard for my brother to get enough support while paddling. Know which ones are good when the rush to grab boats starts.
    Our guide led us toward a nearby small island, stopping partway to give us information about the islands and the sea life. The distance was an easy paddle away, but let us get a view of some of the shore of Coco Cay. Once at our destination we beached our kayaks on a sandbar and our guide gave us some more information and passed around a large sea star for us to inspect. Then we had time to wade around the shallow water and look for shells and such. A pincushion sand dollar was found, and I found a good sized conch shell with a giant hermit crab inside. We really enjoyed our paddle back to the beach and would have been glad of more time to explore, but were happy that we were then able to fit lunch and more snorkeling into our day.

Kayak Adventure Heading out to nearby island Hermit crab, underwater shot Paddling back to Coco Cay View of ship and island from kayak
    • Kayaking

Parasail Adventure

by Marilu33 Written Apr 22, 2014

My nephew, Bryce, and his wife, Marianne chose this for their paid shore excursion. This was not offered at our other two ports. The cost was $79 each and the whole experience takes an hour with the passengers taking turns, two at a time to go up. There are six departures throughout the day starting at 8:30 am and ending with a 2:30 pm trip.
    Highlights of this include: 45 minutes to one hour Power boat ride with view of the islands from the water and 5-6 minutes actual para-sailing time going up to 400 feet above the sea.
    Bryce and Marianne loved this experience. They found the staff to be very professional and the para-sailing exhilarating with the take off and landing very safe and easy. They said they glided right back on to the back of the boat and never touched the water. A staff member took great photos of them with their camera while they were aloft so their experience was well documented in photos.

Coming back in to the boat Getting harnessed to soar Heading up into the sky All the way up Almost back to the boat
    • Water Sports

Glass Bottom Boat Tour

by Marilu33 Written Apr 22, 2014

This is the perfect shore excursion choice for those who enjoy sea life, want to get out on the water, or would like an island/water experience without actually getting into the water or a bathing suit. My 86 year old mother loved this tour, and my sister-in-law who won't get in the water loved it too. There was informational narration and staff in the water to bring up shell fish and sea stars. The highlight was a pair of dolphins jumping out of the water near the boat, and it is also possible to see rays and turtles.
    The cost is $38/adult, $28/child and lasts 1.5 hours. There are three times available: 9:30, 11:30, and 1:00pm.

Diver with sea star in the glass bottom Amy with sea star Dolphins near boat Mom with shellfish-yes, alive! Watching the sea bottom go by

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Walk the Island

by DSwede Written Feb 17, 2013

The average person will flow off the boat and find a hammock or beach chair and spend the day taking in the sun or bathing in the beach. However if you are like me and get bored sitting still for too long, there are a couple activities that cost money (kayak, etc), but the only free activity is to walk the island.

There is a nature path to the southern point of the island. Depending on your speed, it could take 30~60 minutes one-way. If you walk the east side beach one way and the nature walk road the other, you will see all vistas of the island.

View from Gum Woods - Look Out Point
    • Hiking and Walking

Enjoy the Sunset on the Navigator of the Seas

by cjg1 Updated Jan 27, 2009

Watching the sunset is always a favorite of ours. I especially love when the sky is a bright yellow and sparkles on the water. Sunset always comes so soon and is gone in a flash. ...I wish I could freeze time to enjoy it just a bit longer.

We started to see the sunset begin when we were on our balcony. We decided to head up to the top deck and enjoy a better view and have a drink. Some of my favorite cruise memories are just of Liz and I watching the sunset together......it's a special memory.

View from our balcony View from our balcony View from the top deck

Internet Cafe

by cjg1 Written Jan 27, 2009

On Board the cruise ship they have an internet cafe to keep you connected to school, work or loved ones. The cafe has a number of workstations available for use. You can also bring your own laptop and use their WI-FI service. Liz always needs to have internet access since she is in school and brings her homework with her wherever we go.

The internet pricing is $.55 a minute or you can buy a package. We always buy a package. The package rates are: $28 for 60 minutes, $38 for 90 minutes or $55 for 150 minutes.

WI-FI areas of the ship aren't always very good. We seems to have the best connectionin the Schooner Bar. Be aware the connection is very slow and can be frustrating to use.

Take an Ocean Dip

by cjg1 Updated Jan 26, 2009

The sun had finally started to beat down enough for us to loose the coverups and enjoy the warmth. Liz decided to take a walk down to the water for a nice dip. She loves the water especially at Coco Cay. The water is warm like bathwater and calm. I personally jus like to sit back in my hammock and watch her have fun.

Liz strolling back from the water The water sparkles in the sun...

Lounge on the Beach

by cjg1 Updated Jan 26, 2009

I'm not a big sun worshipper so I decided to lounge in the hammock under the shady palm trees. Liz decided to lounge on a beach chair and enjoy the warm sun. The beach is such a relaxing place and the island is so beautiful. There was a nice breeze that day and it kept if from being too hot and uncomfortable.

I never thought of myself as much of a beach person but this is my idea of a great beach experience.

Taking in the view from my hammock Lounging in the sun (with sunblock of course) Me and my Baby Girl I love my hammock Love it here....

Enjoy some Drinks on Your Balcony

by cjg1 Written Jan 25, 2009

We had such a fabulous suite and balcony that it made perfect sense to relax and have a drink. The balcony was rather large with two chairs, a table a recliner and an ottoman. We spent a nice afternoon enjying some cocktails in the sun while watching the beautiful water. It was a relaxing time with my baby. We love these solitary moments when it's just the two of us.....it makes for special memories.

Me & Liz on the Balcony Our Frozen Drinks Cheers Baby My Baby Girl and her drink My Girl in her blue dress (my favorite color)

Watch the Sun Rise on the Sovereign of the Seas

by cjg1 Updated Jun 12, 2008

Sunday morning as we approached Coco Cay I woke up at 4:30 in the morning. From this point I decide we had to watch the sun rise.

So out on the balcony we were as the sun started to creep up over the horizon over the next hour or so.

June 1, 2008

Hammock Time!

by cjg1 Updated Jun 12, 2008

One of my favorite ways to do nothing is in a hammock.

We finally found a hammock that would suit our purposes that fine morning. It was facing out to sea across the island from the ship.

A wonderful dark cloud moved in and kept it nice and cool with the strong breeze blowing through. We relaxed here for a good 45 minutes the first time.

Later in late morning we found our same hammock still unoccupied and I took a bit of nap in it.

Napping in a hammock on a Sunday morning. Does it get any better?

Just lounging in a hammock with my girl

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Snorkeling and Sun Bathing at Coco Cay

by onestepaway Written Jun 23, 2007

If you wish to enjoy a little more restful adventure, rent a floating mat and bask in the calm ocean waters. Relax on the beach, play a game of volleyball, sip on a cool drink, listen to the steel drum band, or enjoy the aqua park.

• Veg out

by mrandmrsdevlin Written Aug 18, 2005

In true cliche style, the island has hammocks strung up between the palm trees in various places throughout the island. Soooooo relaxing!!!

Instant Answers: Coco Cay

Comments

Coco Cay Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Coco Cay things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coco Cay sightseeing.