Stores, Malls or Markets in The Bahamas

Most Viewed Shopping in The Bahamas

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Androsia Andros Bahamas: Locally made Batik

by grandmaR Updated Sep 3, 2003

I always like to bring back gifts for my children and grandchildren that are actually from the place I'm visiting. So I did some shopping in Nassau, and also in Port Lucaya. There I came across Androsia of Port Lucaya. Androsia Andros Bahamas manufactures batik fabric and garments on the island of Andros.

Their website says: "Since 1973 they have used the beauty of the environment of the Bahamas for inspiration in their print designs and brilliant colours. Androsia has a complete line of women's, men's, and children's batik clothing as well as accessories and fabric sold by the yard"

What to buy: The following shops carry Androsia Batik fashions and fabric:

Androsia of Cable Beach -- Radisson Mall next to Crystal Palace Casino, Nassau

Royal Palm Trading Company (formerly Mademoiselle) -- Bay Street, Downtown Nassau

Royal Palm Beach Trader -- Atlantis Beach Towers, Paradise Island

Sea Grape at Traveller's Rest, Nassau

Home Fabrics, Centerville, Nassau (Fabric only)

Androsia of Port Lucaya, Port Lucaya MarketPlace, Freeport, Grand Bahama

Small Hope Bay Lodge Gift Shop, Small Hope, Central Andros

Gertrude of Androsia, Nicholls Town, North Andros

Androsia Outlet Store, Fresh Creek, Central Andros

Androsia of George Town, George Town Airport, Exuma -- Just Opened March 2003!

Club Peace and Plenty Gift Shop, George Town, Exuma

Starfish Adventures, George Town, Exuma

Cape Santa Maria Gift Shop, North Long Island, Bahamas

Ebbtide, Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco

Julia's Nails and Clothing, Marsh Harbour, Abaco

Dolphin Beach Resort, Guana Cay, Abaco

Golden Reef, New Plymouth, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco

Bluff House, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco

The Sail Shop, Man of War Cay, Abaco (canvas bags only)

The Sea Side Boutique, Man of War Cay, Abaco (fabric & accessories)

Joe's Studio, Man of War Cay, Abaco

Island Trinkets and Treasures, Sandy Point, Marsh Harbour, Abaco

Bahama Dawn Designs, Marsh Harbour Abaco (bags, quilts, fabric only)

Briland's Androsia, Harbour Island, Eleuthera

Island Made Gift Shop, Gregory Town, Eleuthera

Almond Tree, Rock Sound, Eleuthera

Chub Cay Club Resort and Marina, Berry Islands

What to pay: I spent $56.85 at Androsia. I don't remember exactly what I bought - probably clothing

Photo from their website
    • Women's Travel

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Lucaya Marketplace: Locally made Bahamian goods

by grandmaR Updated Jan 20, 2005

If you look, you can buy locally made goods at the marketplace or straw market. Besides T shirts, jewelry, and imported English goods, there are small water colors, saris, straw items, Bahamian coins and stamps, carvings etc.

You have to look carefully at the labels though to avoid buying stuff that's made in China or Mexico or Thailand. (If you want something that's made in Mexico there's no reason not to buy it - just be aware that it's not a local product.)

What to buy: The photo is from the map of Grand Bahama which has ads for various businesses. This photo is of a business called "animale"

There are also shops along Bay Street in Nassau which sell local products

Ad for shop in Port Lucaya

• traveldave's Profile Photo

Bay Street

by traveldave Updated Oct 10, 2010

Many cruise lines feature Nassau as one of their ports of call, so there are many shopping options available to tourists, from cheap souvenir stands to exclusive and expensive boutiques.

Most of the shopping activity in Nassau takes place on Bay Street, the city's main thoroughfare. The street is lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. Shoppers can choose between small shops specializing in local merchandise and crafts such as leather goods, brass, antiques, clothing, linens, beauty products, perfumes, and fine art. Many high-end shops such as Gucci, Fendi, and Coles cater to wealthier visitors and locals. Another popular type of store features Cuban cigars. Cuban goods, including cigars, are forbidden in the United States, so many visiting Americans are willing to pay for over-priced Cuban cigars from one of the many tobacco shops lining Bay Street.

The most popular tourist attraction off Bay Street is the Straw Market, which is a good place to buy baskets and other arts and crafts made of straw, as well as other cheap souvenirs of the islands.

Because most of the shops cater to the tourist trade, they can be over-priced, but items such as alcohol, cigars, and certain brands of clothing are generally cheaper than in many cities.

I am not much of a shopper, but it was fun to wander along Bay Street to look at some of the merchandise available for sale.

• Chrissy1967's Profile Photo

Tikki Bar!: At the Tikki Bar, of course!!!

by Chrissy1967 Updated Feb 17, 2005

The crew members were more than happy to let me go behind the scence and choose my own drink to make, they even help me make it and you know what? It turned out great, don't remember much after that one! Kidding, but that is another job I would like to apply for-alcohol, sun, cruising and meeting new people - who wouldn't???

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Straw Market.: The Straw market and downtown Bay Street ,Nassau.

by Waalewiener Written Dec 11, 2002

The market has just about everything you expect to see at a market like this ,Straw hats ,Straw Bags, Bahama T- shirts (He Mon).Shells Sponges Scarfs ,etc ,Etc,
    It is always fun to bargain with the local vendors, and try to make your best deal.
    The Sraw Market is a fun place to , if you like shopping and can take the crowds.

What to buy: T- Shirts and Straw bags were our favorites items.

What to pay: As I mentioned earlier think about what you think the item is worth and than haggle with the vendors , they are used to,it and it can be fun.

Straw Bags of all sizes

• elizabooper's Profile Photo

Hay Hay Hay

by elizabooper Written Jul 11, 2004

Make sure you check out the straw market. Its a great, just don't do it while smoking! Sadly it has gone up in flames before.

What to buy: I bought a coin purse that said 'Bahamas' on it. They have everything from hats to purses.

What to pay: Very little, I think I only spent a few US dollars.

• Beaches

• deedlebug's Profile Photo

Port Lucaya Market Place: Great Deals and Lots of variety

by deedlebug Written Feb 9, 2008

The Marketplace was a great place for Souveniers. They have a lot of handmade crafts and you can get a really good deal if your willing to negotiate. I got a purse, some towels, morraccas, jewelry and a really pretty photo album. Can't beat the prices.

• callistre's Profile Photo

Straw Market: Skip It and Keep Moving

by callistre Written Jan 10, 2007

Hot as Hell....Literally...Because of it's enclosure, which to me resembled a huge warehouse with a thatched roof- it is a huge fire hazard and has been burned to the ground before because of the heat from the sun and all of the goods inside...

Basically it is a huge hot warehouse with tons of people selling the exact same thing..Some will bargain with you, some won't..... Your best bet, just go to a shop and buy things....Also, make sure you shop at reputable venders...The last thing you need or want is to get back to wherever and try and show off your Louis Vutton- which is deemed Louis Crappon because you got duped.

What to buy: They have tons of purses and handbags.

What to pay: 10 dollars and up if you can bargain you might make out.

• irparis's Profile Photo

Coconut Rum

by irparis Written Jun 9, 2005

They sell all sorts of items at this marketplace. But make sure you bring pic ID, it is also the new check in and check out point when you get off of a cruise as it is right off the pier where they dock. Its sad that when I went the first time, this was not part of the security measures that are taken now. That was pre 9/11. You also have to check in whatever you buy on board ship, as at the airport, past security conveyor belt.

What to buy: Most of the shops have this Coconut Rum, be warn, most everyone you give it to will love it. They sell it in many different flavors, but coconut seem to be the fav, so buy extra.
    If you have freinds who love spicy food, pick up several bottles of their spicy hot sauce at the market off the pier after you dock. Great bargains. It wasn't there the first time I went, but they've turn it into quite a shopping mall

What to pay: I didn't pay much for the rums, I think maybe $3 and change for the ints and $5 for the bigger bottles. The hot sauces were $2 and change.

• The Diamond Center: Shopping in The Bahamas

by shoppingwarrior Updated Jan 28, 2010

One of the managers at this store offered credit terms that included no payments for 12 months and no interest applied if paid in full in 24 months. I confirmed with her several times in my husband's presence that these terms were accurate. She even computed how much I would have to pay each month to have it paid in 24 months. After I returned home, their credit card company, Platinum Visa told me that they do not even offer terms such as I was told. This misrepresentation is going to cost me hundreds of dollars. I would never purchase anything from this store again. Buyers Beware!

• Nassaugrocer: Buying groceries Online in the Bahamas

by elmo416 Written Mar 9, 2010

I just returned home last night from the Bahamas and what a great time me and my family had on vacation at Atlantis Harbourside the weather wasn’t perfect but much warmer than here at home. IL ...anyway This has been my 3rd trip in the past two years to the Bahamas.

Going on holidays with 4 kids ranging from six months to 15 years old isn’t easy and when it comes to keeping them fed, it can be very costly.. Last year one night out for dinner alone ran me into $375.00 and breakfast each morning on average I spent $30.00 per person each morning and that wasn’t lunch yet..

But this year most of our meals we made ourselves and had more money to enjoy things like the dolphins, sealions, the spa, water park etc…with out fearing running out of money on our meals, Like I said I didn’t have to worry as much thanks to a great website I found back in December 09 it’s called NassauGrocer again I am so happy to have tried this service and that its now being offered, I came across this site looking on google and yahoo for a place to buy soy milk and a few baby items that we couldn’t take with us on the plane which would also be close to the resort in Nassau Bahamas for my baby girl. ...On nassaugrocer.com site I was able to order items like water, baby milk, bread, can soda and many other grocery items and had them delivered right to my hotel on time and in excellent shape ..Even the bananas same to have been as if they were freshly picked my kids loved the fruit basket......I feel that I must share a little store with you last year coming from the airport on my way to the resort I asked the taxi driver if he could stop at one of the local grocery stores which he did. I was charged a whopping $75.00 for him waiting at the store on me for about 25 mins what a crazy price...thats why if you are reading this posting and want to save yourself from the pain I highly recommend that you try this service offered at nassaugrocer.com infact tell all of your friends and family, I promise you will thank me...P.S I almost forgot they charged a delivery fee of USD $9.99 which was cheap on the islands trust me and the prices are inline with the local stores ..which don’t deliver you have to try way there yourself...what a site I even contacted them to have a few items arranged that was not listed on there site and they really impressed me again try it and tell your friends and family traveling to the islands of the Bahamas to try them NASSAUGROCER.com here is the link if you want to take a look http://www.nassaugrocer.com...

What to buy: Buy Online grocery in the Bahamas

What to pay: The prices they offer are the same as in the local stores in Nassau, and far more cheaper than any stores on Paradise Island or in the Marina or Atlantis ..

Groceries

• monica71's Profile Photo

Lucaya Marketplace: Best place to shop for local crafts

by monica71 Written Feb 12, 2012

Lucaya Marketplace is a nice and fun place to go to and have some fun shopping for local crafts. The Straw Market is fun and you will most likely end up buying a straw bag made of palm leaves and a hat.
    Once you made up your mind and decided what you want to buy, ask for the best price. The vendors will give you a discount on the original asking price. I really did not bargain since Mary gave me a very good price for 1 straw hat, 1 bag and 1 straw clutch. The original price for all 3 items was $40 but after I told her I wanted to get them all she lowered the price to $25. I really did not feel the need to bargain more since all the hats and straw bags are labor intensive and I felt that $25 was a decent price to pay for all 3 items.
    You can find Mary in the Straw Market at booth 22.

What to buy: hand waved straw hats and bags

• RickL's Profile Photo

Straw Market: Mecca or tacky trap?

by RickL Written Sep 13, 2013

The whole straw market was built up before our arrival by cruiseship. It was stall after stall fo repeat souveniers and knock offs. It's a nce place to get some cheap souveniers but the stall owners were reluctant to bargain with us. Perhaps you'll do better!

Hey Mon!!!

• Highbrae's Profile Photo

Graycliff Cigars: Nassau Cigars

by Highbrae Updated Apr 4, 2011

The walk in humidor at Graycliff offers the cigar aficionado almost too many choices. While I plead that my own preferences run to Lonsdales and Churchills I left with a wide selection of these long beauties. In multiple colours (for a full explaination visit their site) My only comment would be to do your homework before visiting. Graycliff Cigars are built on the fame of Avelino Lara, once Fidel Castro's personal torcedore and so I was very surprised during my visit to find that I seemed to know much more about the product than the "girl" left to manage the store. However, her lack of knowledge about her product did not stop me from aquiring my personal grouping which happily reside within my humidor.

Although it has played host to royalty, presidents, leaders of business and entertainment. With the only 5 star dining in the caribbean and one of the great wine cellars of the world I was surprised, However, from almost anywhere in Nassau you can see Government House, A large Pink structure

What to buy: The Red or Blue are an ideal choice for the beginner, for a special taste go for the Green or "Crystal" (white) and for a truly enjoyable experience go for the Black or Purple.

• Luxury Travel

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Sold All Over: Rum Cake -- Must Buy

by XKuger Written Feb 8, 2010

I purchase this is a small bakery downtown to try and it tased so good that I ended up eating two more. I also decided to buy a large one to bring back home for friends and family.

What to buy: Do buy a small Bahama mama.. a cute doll that is unique to the bahamas. I do not eat fish but a lot of people did purchase conch ( cans). The rum cake was another favourite. I also found a very large population buying jeweller including Rolex etc.

What to pay: If I remember a large cake is approx 15 / 20 US$ just about the price of a cake you would purchase locally( maybe slightly more)

The Bahamas Hotels

Long Island Hotels
Georgetown Hotels
1 Review - 4 Photos

Instant Answers: The Bahamas

Comments

The Bahamas Shopping

Reviews and photos of The Bahamas shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for The Bahamas sightseeing.
Map of The Bahamas