Fun things to do in The Bahamas

by crazygal59

Most Viewed Things to Do in The Bahamas

Historic buildings in Nassau

by ArenJo Written Jan 19, 2014

Me and my 4 year old son enjoyed walking around Nassau and taking pictures of the historic buildings. HOWEVER, it took up about an hour of our time. So, we were glad that we went to Atlantis afterward.

• Archeology

Great Strirrup Cay

by ArenJo Written Jan 19, 2014

I would definitely recommend water shoes due to the rocks in the water. The water slide there is huge and even as an adult I was scared of it. My four year old went down it, but it goes so fast that I was terrified for him to go down. Unfortunately I went first and he came down before I could tell him not to. I would say at least age 8 for the slide. I didn't see anyone taking multiple trips on it. It doesn't look that bad in pictures and videos, but it really flies. The little shops have some interesting stuff and aren't terribly overpriced. The eating area offers about the same stuff as the boat, but it is large and there is a lot available. And we got to go back multiple times in one day to eat. The people working at the kid's area were awful and didn't appear to like kid's at all. And we had to basically beg them to tell us the day's events or how the games are played. You do have to ride the ferry to and from the island. I recommend going early since it does get extremely hot there in the middle of the day and we did have pick of our beach chairs since we were on the first boat.

• Water Sports

Dollar guetto

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

Twice in my life I saw a clear frontier between the people and the investment made in tropical paradises for dollar hunting - in Cancun, and Bahamas. In Cancun I saw watching towers and the end of the touristy stripe where no Mexican lives (I think!), but circulation was free.

Here is different.

A bridge, with toll, separates the city for locals from the bunch of hotels, casinos and restaurants that compose the touristy world.

With a so heavy and careful investment to artificially create a paradise in a natural paradise could the island have another name?

Atlantis

by ArenJo Written Jun 16, 2013

The current at Atlantis is unique and so much fun. We rode it all day. It is a lazy river with waves, caves, and currents. My 4 year old loved it too.
    We just had a day pass and I would definitely pay to go again, but there is so much to do there that you can't possibly see the whole resort in one day.

• Spa and Resort
    • Aquarium

White sand

by solopes Updated Sep 25, 2012

For Fernanda and the kids this was the first tropical experience, with strong marks.

The clear blue waters, the white sands, the bending coconuts, all was there to make this brief experience something to remember. After that we have been in Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Red Sea, Jamaica, but... Bahamas WAS the place.

Well, why not?

Visiting only for hours, we were allowed to use Sheraton's facilities just as guests. A nice and useful decision that we could only pay back eating something in the pool.

• Eco-Tourism

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Blue Lagoon Island- discover the undiscovered

by lisa85202 Written May 26, 2012

We took a day excursion to Blue Lagoon Island. The islands main attraction is the dolphin and sea lion encounters. We did not partake in that activity. We went there for a beach day. The lagoon was very comfortable with chairs, palm trees, hammocks, and beautiful water. I was a bit disappointed that you couldn't see the wide open water in the main area. There were several water play areas (One in the lagoon, and one off in the sand with fresh water and air filled slides and jumpers)- that were additional charge, I believe ~$15.

Then I went for a walk, just on the other side of the restaurant, was the most gorgeous cove with a wide expansive view of the caribbean- the most beautiful site I have ever seen! Apparantly most of the people on the island didn't know it was there. There was about 10 lounge chairs- no shade. I heard from someone else as we were leaving that there are several private coves like that if you just wander around the island. That finding was one of the best moments of our vacation- I loved it!

• monica71's Profile Photo

Guava Duff

by monica71 Written Feb 4, 2012

Guava Duff is the traditional dessert. It is very sweet and it takes a long time to prepare. Not all the restaurants have it, but if you happen to see one that offers it, stop by and try it. I did not care for it too much (too sweet for my liking) but I am glad I tried it.

• monica71's Profile Photo

Exotic Drinks

by monica71 Updated Feb 4, 2012

One of the best drinks you can have while visiting an island is a Guilty Wash (a drink inside a coconut). They can make it with or without alcohol. It is refreshing and fun. Enjoy one while sitting under a palm tree, on the beach or at a nice and simple table.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Picture-perfect Grand Bahama Beaches

by csordila Updated Dec 12, 2011

If you’re looking for a pristine white-sand beach, bordered by gorgeous, crystal-clear, turquoise waters that stretch for miles, you’ve come to the right place. Grand Bahama Island’s sprawling, reef-protected shoreline and cays are filled with numerous picture-perfect beaches that will simply take your breath away.
    Lucaya Beach is located across from the Port Lucaya hotels (The Radisson Our Lucaya Resort and Our Lucaya Reef Village). This popular tourist beach has watersports and activities galore.

Coral Beach west of Lucaya beach, a short distance away and is less crowded. Billy Joe's snack shack is also nearby, here you can sample some of our island's famous "roast conch."

Mather Town Beach is about three miles from Port Lucaya. There are limited water activities at this beach, but it is a great place for swimming, eating, drinking and hanging out with the locals. Club Caribe restaurant and Margaritavilla Sand Bar are located here.

Taino Beach is located in the Lucaya area and is ideal for families with children. During holidays, the beach is the site of many "cook-outs." Several restaurants are on-site, including The Stoned Crab and Kaptain Kenny's Bay Watch. There is limited water activity available; however, hair braiding, straw goods and other souvenirs are sold at Kaptain Kennys.

• Adventure Travel

Fort Fincastle Nassau

by Florida999 Updated Nov 29, 2011

Fort Fincastle in a oddly shaped fort near the downtown Nassau area. It only took around 15 minutes to visit, but the view from on top alone was worth the $1 per person fee to get in.
    Plus you can always imagine the Pirates of the Caribbean attacking:)
    Actually, it was never attacked by anyone...

There is a small souvenir shop area next to it where you can get really inexpensive stuff. I didn't even bother trying to get the stuff for less.

Directions : Walk up East Street ( right off the main tourist street near the cruise terminal, Bay Street), then turn left when you see the water tower. You'll end up near the hospital at a parking area. Go up the stairs and you are there. Took about 15 minutes to get there from the cruise dock.

Nassau

by Florida999 Updated Nov 28, 2011

We went to Nassau on the 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. I was not expecting much, especially after we really did not enjoy our cruise to Mexico a few years previously very much. What we found was better than expected. Nobody tried to rip us off, nobody bothered us in the least, the locals were very friendly and talkative actually. We were asked repeatedly about how we liked the Bahamas, and everyone told us they hoped we are having a good time and will come back. I suppose with some of the negative news about crime and scams there, people might not want to visit, but we walked around even some sort of run down looking areas and had no problems.
    Nassau is mostly a tourist town, one guy told us they get at least 1 cruise ship per day, so there are going to be people trying to sell you stuff. The good thing is they will take "no" for an answer and are not pushy like in other places. We did avoid the main "tourist trap" , the Straw Market.
    All the beaches are beautiful and fairly easy to get to.

• Luxury Travel

Cabbage Beach

by Florida999 Updated Nov 28, 2011

We walked across the bridge to Paradise Island ( about 2 miles from downtown Nassau cruise docks). Once on the island, you can walk around the parking garage to the other side, where there is a path to the beach. Cabbage beach is a nice beach, but no facilities. You can rent chairs, and there is a small bar, that sells very good but expensive drinks. On the day we went the waves were huge and the water cold ( end of November) but my son and myself still went in the water.
    You can take a taxi to and from there if you don't want to walk. We took one back ( see taxi tip)
    The water in the Bahamas is very blue and clear compared to the Atlantic cost in Florida.
    All the beaches look nice, don't think you could find a bad one.

Atlantis Paradise Island

by Florida999 Updated Nov 28, 2011

Atlantis Resort is a very famous resort on Paradise Island. This tip should probably be under accomodations, but since we only looked at it from the outside, I will just put it under "things to do".
    The cruise ship offers an excursion to spend the day at this resort and use their facilities and water park, but it was very expensive, so we just walked to the beach right next to it ( free).
    The resort certainly looks impressive.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Luxury Travel

• traveldave's Profile Photo

The Nassau Botanical Gardens

by traveldave Updated Apr 13, 2011

For anyone who likes plants and nature in general, a visit to the Nassau Botanical Gardens is a pleasant diversion.

Built in 1951 on the site of an old rock quarry, the gardens cover about 18 acres (seven hectares) and contain 600 species of tropical plants from around the Caribbean region, a small cactus garden, and two ponds with water lillies and other water plants. The plants and trees are labeled, so visitors will have some understanding of what they are seeing. There are trails which wind in and around the trees, terraces, grottoes, and a waterfall fountain donated by the government of China.

The grounds of the botanical gardens are a popular place for weddings and parties, and the Annual Dog Show is held here in March and the International Food Festival is held here during the third week in October.

• Hiking and Walking

The small capital

by solopes Updated Mar 17, 2011

We spent a few hours in this city, without any outstanding detail. It's a typical colonial city, concentrated in commerce with the American visitors, which means the items where USA taxes are high.

The city centre is clean and well maintained (the same applies to the neighbourhoods of official residences and palaces, bu that's not exactly the main note in what we saw. Quickly, and briefly, I must confess!

• Architecture

Harbour Island Hotels
6 Reviews - 17 Photos
Eight Mile Rock Hotels

Instant Answers: The Bahamas

Comments

The Bahamas Things to Do

Reviews and photos of The Bahamas things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for The Bahamas sightseeing.
Map of The Bahamas