Rental Car, The Bahamas

Know about this? Rate It!

by brucegt
    by marko727
    by virtualmary
  • monica71's Profile Photo

Car Rental

by monica71 Written Feb 4, 2012

There are several companies where you can rent a car from. The hotel can also help you with the rental. They drive on the left side of the road, so you have to be careful. The roads are good in general, but I was told that in the remote locations you have to be careful since the road conditions vary.
    The rental rates are high, but if you book a car in advance (prior to leaving US) you can get a good price.
    Local companies have better rates than the big rental ones, but their cars are old and not in the best condition.

Here are some handy phone numbers you may want to use if deciding to rent a car while on the island:

Avis: 352-7666 or 352-8144
    Brad's Car Rental: 352-7930
    Dollar: 352-9325
    Island Jeep and Car Rental: 373-4001, 373-4002, 351-4810
    KSR Rent A Car: 351-3830

• kgduke's Profile Photo

Virgo Car Rentals

by kgduke Written May 4, 2010

Virgo Car Rentals is definitely the cheapest in town, but with that you have some problems.

They rent cars for 24 hours for $40. Insurance is $9. As they have three locations, if you return your car to another location, the charge is $10. There is free pickup and drop-off to/from your hotel (IF a driver is available).

However...Virgo does not accept reservations. You have to call the morning you want the car to see if one is available. You can also sometimes call the night before to see if they have one for the next day. I did this and arranged a pickup time. An hour after the pickup time, I called Virgo and they said they had no record of me wanting to rent a car. I waited about a half hour from then for the driver to arrive.

Once I rented the car and was doing the walkaround with the agent, she noticed that the Club did not have a key and so was unusable. They refused to rent me the car without a working security device. They proposed that I drive the car to their airport location to exchange the non-working club for a working one. I refused. Eventually they found another one.

I asked for a discount because of all the difficulties and they gave me a three hour extension on my rental. Since I rented the car (once all was finished) at noon, that meant that I could have the car until the next day at 3pm.

The driver and mechanics were very nice and apologetic, but the saleswoman was very difficult.

This is a possibility for renting cars, but go in with lots of patience. They open at 9am and so you won't be able to drive out of the lot much before 11 if all goes well.

Kemp Road (Head Office)
    P.O. Box N-1702
    Nassau
    The Bahamas

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

• moneysavr's Profile Photo

WE do the discovery cruise...

by moneysavr Updated Aug 26, 2002

WE do the discovery cruise over to the Island out of fortlauterdale or fly out of the same to the Island real cheap!!Lots of other u.s.hub cities like Alanta that have graet fly deals to the grand bahamas.
    We always rent a car try KSR car rentals or Brads car rental $50.00 day and we save that in about one hour put the car on a major credit car this will cover your inssurance and pay with cash when you come back to save more!

• 1sassyfemme's Profile Photo

The most interesting way for...

by 1sassyfemme Written Aug 24, 2002

The most interesting way for me to get around in the Bahamas was on a scooter! Although, I must say this isn't for everyone. I crashed a total of 4 times. No serious injuries, thank goodness! But it was a challenge and a great way to see the island and meet new people. Great for going to local parties!

• marko727's Profile Photo

I STRONGLY SUGGEST RENTING A...

by marko727 Written Aug 25, 2002

I STRONGLY SUGGEST RENTING A MOPED, AS THE ISLAND OF EXUMA IS SMALL ENOUGH TO EXPLORE FROM END TO END IN ONE OR TWO DAYS.

• brucegt's Profile Photo

The best way to see Bahamas is...

by brucegt Written Aug 24, 2002

The best way to see Bahamas is book a tour through the local private tour guide and they will take you anywhere you want to go.

Instant Answers: The Bahamas