Safety, The Bahamas

• Safety
    by meta4r
  • Medical Assistance

by Amarantine Written Jan 7, 2009

When I recently visited The Bahamas I brought along my young nephew to experience the place. Upon visiting we got situated into our room and chilled out for the night. The next morning before we went out to sea we cleaned up and got ready to leave when I released my little nephew had opened and brushed his teeth with Bulmax chafing cream. When I looked on the back of the tube it read "If consumed, contact poison will occur immediately. If consumed contact poison control at once." Obviously I was concerned and then It hit me that staying on this Island nation I did not know the protocol for Bahamian medical assistance. Upon calling several people I got connected to a hospital in Nassau which then patched me into a doctor in New Jersey who then told me that all is fine and that even if he swallowed it he would be fine. But the lesson from this is not what to do when you brush your teeth with Bulmax but what do you do when something bad happens.

1. Know who to call and where to go in the Bahamas. Remember people are laid back in the Bahamas and will be in no particular hurry to accommodate you when they could be chilling out.

2. Also, don't expect much medical help when you go there as the people I called where not concerned at all that my nephew was in danger (or so I thought). There seemed to be no poison control and what medical help there was did not even respond. With the exception of Nassau and Freeport medical attention to Western standards is to be desired. Be cognizant of the fact that if something happens a medical (and for that matter fire) staff will not be there front and center with the latest technology ready to help you out at the drop of a hat. So if your someone with allergies. Be sure to bring your medicine as people at Bahamian restaurants are not used to American style protocol when it comes to food.

This in mind, don't have a heart attack if something bad happens because you can easily be medically evacuated out of there by helicopter if the severity warrants it. And your never more than a stones throw from Miami. So put your mind at ease and enjoy.

• Fishing

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

Check places wherer you are...

by WILDEFLOWER Updated May 2, 2003

Check places where you are going to see the best places to walk or park. There has been people jumped getting out of their cars and robbed. Some people love to walk like me! Check the safest places if your planning a long walk. You might find yourself in not so good company along the path.

• jessica777's Profile Photo

while we were there we met a...

by jessica777 Written Aug 24, 2002

while we were there we met a woman who had been robbed. She had gone into a bad area and gotten mugged. Its not to hard to end up there either. There a main road that if you stay on it long enough you will end up there. Its kind of like the getto of Nasau. So be careful. and watch out for chickens theyre everywhere!

Instant Answers: The Bahamas