Tourist Attractions in Caribbean and Central America

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Caribbean and Central America

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Trip to HELL and back

by VeronicaG Updated Jun 27, 2007

I agree with other VTer's that this is a tourist trap, but it was certainly novel. This small town got its name because of the grey, clumpish bed of rocks formerly of limestone and dolomite which were eroded through millions of years into strange looking shapes.

The town attracts tourists to this area of Grand Cayman, called West Bay, to see this and to send cards postmarked from HELL. There are two small shops selling refreshments, jewelry, keychains, postcards, t-shirts and other souvenirs marked with the town's name.

picture #2 Entering HELL
    picture 3 Post Office sign

I wonder what my daughter will think when she receives our grandson's card sent from this little village?

How HELL got its name Entering HELL Sign at the post office
    • Cruise
    • Seniors

• garridogal's Profile Photo

SENSATION TIP - My Ghetto Manicure

by garridogal Updated Jun 3, 2004

Spent way more on a manicure, on board, than I normally do. There was no water bowl to dip my hands in, my nails weren't cleaned and I had to remind the Manicurist to use a base coat. They looked fine when finished but for that amount of money I expected a bit more.

Unique Suggestions: Well, I saw a lot of hideous hairdos being created but I suppose these women liked what was being done to them. And, I'll bet they cost more than my nails did so maybe the manicure is the least you should do.

Fun Alternatives: Do your nails before and after the trip. Just say no to high lacquered hairdos!

Smile and say And here they are!

• garridogal's Profile Photo

SENSATION TIP - Photos! Photos! Photos!

by garridogal Updated Jun 3, 2004

There's every kind of cheesy, Prom-Night, Titanic Staircase, fake Beach Scene and "fun" background you could imagine for you to pose in front of, on a Fun ship.

Unique Suggestions: It's fun to pose for as many of these as you can. Our group consisted of 2 gay boys and 2 gals so most of the photographers had no clue how we should be coupled up and frankly, we enjoyed keeping them guessing!

But pssst! Even more fun than posing for the pictures is finding them in The Photo Gallery the next day!

Fun Alternatives: There is no alternative. You MUST pose for your album cover.

The Horror....
    • Cruise

• rw-bigfoot's Profile Photo

ST. LUCIA never again!

by rw-bigfoot Updated Dec 9, 2007

I only write this to save someone from getting in trouble in St. Lucia

We were going to take the local mini bus which are in the market area turn left going out of the port and it's on the left. We were lied to by more than one person about were the buses were and wanted us to take their expensive taxi ride. We ended up not getting into a mini bus it was jsut too dangerous.

we were walking back to the ship and seen a group of young girls with a young man with them form our ship and one of the locals were feeling up her arms.
    as I passed them I said don't let him touch you that way and when I looked back to see if they moved away from him he was putting his hand up the front of her shirt!

Well I turned around and Ray seen me headed back there and Ray got it front of the BUM and he took off in a hurry and didn't wait for Ray to take his hands off her. This was so disrespectful to a woman. The young man that was with them didn't know how to treat a woman either.

SO a word if you have young girls going on a trip and even if they have a man accompanying them make sure they have respect for women, will take care of them.
    I couldn't believe this man that was with them let this happen. This could have turned real bad fast!
    They didn't speak english so I couldn't talk with the girls but they knew where we stood on touching from men.

looking down bridge st. from the ship

• Debala's Profile Photo

None, that't the best part of...

by Debala Written Sep 7, 2002

None, that't the best part of Placencia. The place is so low key and the people so friendly, I never felt like we were being taken for a ride. I'm sure there are some in the other parts, where there are larger resorts, but Placencia was really tourist-trap free.

• pollon's Profile Photo

this is not a tourist trap but...

by pollon Written Aug 25, 2002

this is not a tourist trap but a curiosity towards tourists ;-)...: don't forget to greet back all people saying hallo to you on the street maybe because they are at least as curious about you as you of them or simply very friendly... a nice memory: the conductor of the bus saying 'hi Italia, how are you?' while passing through by bike and pointing his house to show it to Italia...

• bianchis's Profile Photo

Like everywhere else St Lucia...

by bianchis Written Aug 24, 2002

Like everywhere else St Lucia has its share of crime, you meet very nice people or the opposite. Dont pick up hitchhikers if you are driving around the island. You never know what you can come across especially if are a tourist. The people are friendly if you treat them with respect and understanding.

• stopatnothin's Profile Photo

look at what you sign

by stopatnothin Written Apr 28, 2005

on most ships, when signing for a drink at the bar a 15 % gratuity has already been added to your bill. Most people throw the bar tender a few extra bucks not knowing.

- ships except for Disney Cruise Line charge for soda so it is best to buy a soda card on your embarkation day for the remainder of your cruise.

Unique Suggestions: Another biggie is in the port of Jamaica. When you get off the ship the locals bombard you with products to buy both duty free and those that can be smoked and they can be quite pushy. It is unfortunate b/c this gives jamaica a bad rep. and it really is a beautiful island.

Just be smart and know that it is ok to say no and walk away.

Fun Alternatives: Take a tour through the cruiseline that does not involve spending time in the city.

This is how these people make a living so they will be pushy but remember it is still your vacation!

• Denmark's Profile Photo

As you can understand from my...

by Denmark Written Aug 25, 2002

As you can understand from my describtion, off my travel to El Salvador, I was lucky to know a good family and this is the keyword, when travel in El Salvador at the moment.
    As you can see on picture, this is my 'family' in El Salvador.
    If you want to know any thing special, please write me on : brianbhh@adslhome.dk

Caribbean and Central America Hotels

11 Reviews - 12 Photos
Culebra Hotels
3 Reviews - 2 Photos

Instant Answers: Caribbean and Central America

Comments

Caribbean and Central America Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Caribbean and Central America tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caribbean and Central America sightseeing.
Map of Caribbean and Central America

Popular Countries in Caribbean and Central America

Dominican Republic Tourist Traps  Cuba Tourist Traps  Jamaica Tourist Traps  Puerto Rico Tourist Traps  Costa Rica Tourist Traps  The Bahamas Tourist Traps  Belize Tourist Traps  Guatemala Tourist Traps  Trinidad and Tobago Tourist Traps  Nicaragua Tourist Traps  U. S. Virgin Islands Tourist Traps  Netherlands Antilles Tourist Traps  Panama Tourist Traps  Honduras Tourist Traps  El Salvador Tourist Traps  Cayman Islands Tourist Traps  Turks and Caicos Islands Tourist Traps  Haiti Tourist Traps  British Virgin Islands Tourist Traps  Aruba Tourist Traps  Barbados Tourist Traps  Antigua and Barbuda Tourist Traps  Saint Lucia Tourist Traps  Grenada Tourist Traps  Guadeloupe Tourist Traps  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Tourist Traps  Saint Kitts and Nevis Tourist Traps  Dominica Tourist Traps  Anguilla Tourist Traps  Martinique Tourist Traps

More Countries in Caribbean and Central America